• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2017 4:48 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 10, 2010
7018 posts
2669 upvotes
Calgary

Tablet gets compromised?

I just got an email from FedEx stating that I missed a delivery (it happened I was expecting a delivery from them). I called FedEx and their recording kept asking for a tag number. I couldn't find it anywhere so I clicked on an attachment. When I finally got someone from FedEx to pick up the call they told me that was a fake email and that I had downloaded something to my tablet. I know how to run antivirus or malwarebytes to look on my computer but I have no idea how to clean this tablet. I use the tablets for everything so I am freaking out a bit right now.

How do I find out if the tablet has been compromised and what do I do now?
20 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 22, 2006
22101 posts
2763 upvotes
What Tablet?

Do you have a recent backup? If so wipe it clean and restore

Other thing to do right now is to disable any type of communication from that tablet.... Disable bluetooth, disable wireless etc
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 10, 2010
7018 posts
2669 upvotes
Calgary
george__ wrote: What Tablet?

Do you have a recent backup? If so wipe it clean and restore

Other thing to do right now is to disable any type of communication from that tablet.... Disable bluetooth, disable wireless etc
I have not backed anything up but again I don't have any photos or music on it, just whatever it came with it. The tablet is currently turned off. Does it help?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 22, 2006
22101 posts
2763 upvotes
althetrainer wrote: I have not backed anything up but again I don't have any photos or music on it, just whatever it came with it. The tablet is currently turned off. Does it help?
In that case then do a hard reset and wipe the device
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 10, 2010
7018 posts
2669 upvotes
Calgary
Do I take out the data sim and micro SD card before resetting it? How do I hard reset it exactly?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 17, 2006
6884 posts
5797 upvotes
Burlington
WHAT TABLET?
WHAT WAS THE ATTACHMENT? WORD/EXCEL?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 10, 2010
7018 posts
2669 upvotes
Calgary
konsensei wrote: WHAT TABLET?
WHAT WAS THE ATTACHMENT? WORD/EXCEL?
I have no idea. I turned it off immediately and now I am too afraid to turn it back on. Is it possible to do a hard reset before turning it back on?

P.S. It's the LG GIII
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 22, 2006
22101 posts
2763 upvotes
althetrainer wrote: I have no idea. I turned it off immediately and now I am too afraid to turn it back on. Is it possible to do a hard reset before turning it back on?

P.S. It's the LG GIII
Take out the microSD card
Simultaneously press and hold Power + Volume down buttons until the System recovery screen appears then release.
From the System recovery screen, select Factory data reset.
Note Utilize the Volume buttons to highlight and the Power button to select.
Tap Yes to confirm.
Note Allow several minutes for the reboot process to complete.
Note To setup the device after completing the factory data reset, refer to Initial Activation and Setup.
Also don't forget to change the email password.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 17, 2006
6884 posts
5797 upvotes
Burlington
althetrainer wrote: I have no idea. I turned it off immediately and now I am too afraid to turn it back on. Is it possible to do a hard reset before turning it back on?

P.S. It's the LG GIII
Most of these attachments target Windows PC as malware/ransomeware in the form of excel/word with macros running at the back. I am not sure how your tablet works, but if you only clicked on it, you most likely only downloaded it, this is how Android works, it doesn't open right away.

I'd say that you are still okay.
But if you want to make sure, google "hard reset" your tablet.
It is probably power button + volume.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 10, 2010
7018 posts
2669 upvotes
Calgary
george__ wrote: Take out the microSD card


Also don't forget to change the email password.
Holding down the power and vol down button takes a screen shot?
Member
User avatar
Mar 28, 2012
344 posts
88 upvotes
My Kijiji sofa
Most of these UPS thingies are Windows or Adobe exploits. Unless it was an Android program installer file, you're probably safe, but if you have nothing important on the tablet anyway, by all means reset as suggested - should go off without a hitch.
I am open! Let's get on with the hacking - I assume it vibrates?
Ref: Dazz
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 10, 2010
7018 posts
2669 upvotes
Calgary
JoDanrfd wrote: Most of these UPS thingies are Windows or Adobe exploits. Unless it was an Android program installer file, you're probably safe, but if you have nothing important on the tablet anyway, by all means reset as suggested - should go off without a hitch.
Yea, I have this tablet for less than 3 months, don't have anything on it. I will feel more comfortable wiping it clean and start over.
george__ wrote:
Thank you! I missed the "press the power button again" part that's why it didn't work the first time. It's wiped now. Time to start over.

Thank you everyong!
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1456 upvotes
Richmond
Stop and take deep breath.

It's very very unlikely that any malware attached to the message was intended to target Android. It's 99% likely to be intended to target Windows, and has no effect on Android. Unless you see some evidence of a problem, I would assume there is none. At most you might re-install Chrome on Android, since it's the most likely target even though very unlikely.

FYI, our business accounts get several emails a day telling us that we have missed a courier pickup and we need to click on the attachment. They are all malware. Courier services don't send you emails with attachments. Just bad luck that you were expecting a courier delivery and your brain turned off for a moment. Good luck that you did it on your Android tablet.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 10, 2010
7018 posts
2669 upvotes
Calgary
Faith24 wrote: Stop and take deep breath.

It's very very unlikely that any malware attached to the message was intended to target Android. It's 99% likely to be intended to target Windows, and has no effect on Android. Unless you see some evidence of a problem, I would assume there is none. At most you might re-install Chrome on Android, since it's the most likely target even though very unlikely.

FYI, our business accounts get several emails a day telling us that we have missed a courier pickup and we need to click on the attachment. They are all malware. Courier services don't send you emails with attachments. Just bad luck that you were expecting a courier delivery and your brain turned off for a moment. Good luck that you did it on your Android tablet.
Thanks for the reassurance. I opened the email with my tablet because my computer was on its way back from Dell (for a second round of repairs). I just didn't want some lowlife to access my email or other accounts that I frequently use on this tablet. I did a hard reset but now it wouldn't let me confirm my Google account for some reasons. It said I could try again after 24 hours. Is that normal?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
2200 posts
823 upvotes
Kleinburg, ON.
This is why courier companies leave a sticky note for deliveries, with a tag or ID#.

They don't randomly email you telling you that you missed a delivery and ask you to download an attachment. This should have set off warning bells.

Lesson learned.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 10, 2010
7018 posts
2669 upvotes
Calgary
JKKim2983 wrote: This is why courier companies leave a sticky note for deliveries, with a tag or ID#.

They don't randomly email you telling you that you missed a delivery and ask you to download an attachment. This should have set off warning bells.

Lesson learned.
Well, Hindsight is always 20/20. I received an email from Dell, early this morning, telling me that my computer would arrive today. I was sick and I could hardly stay awake so I lied on the couch in the front room, didn't want to miss the delivery. I woke up to an email notification on my tablet, clicked it open and there was the FedEx email telling me that I had missed their delivery just 15 minutes ago. I thought I missed the doorbell so I tried to contact FedEx but got their usual loop of voicemail asking for all sorts of information. I wanted to catch the guy before he left our area so I became desperate and clicked on the attachment for the tag number that FedEx was asking for. Of course, it was then I realized I was downloading something...

I realized no matter how smart you are, there will be times you become careless or desperate and you miss the "obvious" clues. What I got out of this experience is more than how to hard reset the tablet. I received help from other members who were kind and patient. I hadn't seen that in RFD for a long time. It's nice to know that we still have nice people in this community.
Banned
Oct 27, 2016
192 posts
44 upvotes
If you use this tablet for everything then you should always keep a back up for it. Cause you lost it, everything in it will be lost.

There is a reset option on the settings. You should clean up your SD card as well. But it would be better to put off the SIM card before factory restore.
Member
User avatar
Mar 28, 2012
344 posts
88 upvotes
My Kijiji sofa
Faith24 wrote: FYI, our business accounts get several emails a day telling us that we have missed a courier pickup and we need to click on the attachment. They are all malware.
YUP, and the lastest ones hitting us are like "Who the f*** is [company name] and why is there this outrageous charge from you on my credit card? See my statement attached and reverse it ASAP!" ... needless to say - THOROUGH and ongoing staff education is an absolute MUST.
I am open! Let's get on with the hacking - I assume it vibrates?
Ref: Dazz
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6671 posts
2990 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
althetrainer wrote: Thanks for the reassurance. I opened the email with my tablet because my computer was on its way back from Dell (for a second round of repairs). I just didn't want some lowlife to access my email or other accounts that I frequently use on this tablet. I did a hard reset but now it wouldn't let me confirm my Google account for some reasons. It said I could try again after 24 hours. Is that normal?
Had similar issue with a Lenovo tablet recently. If next time you try it works then great else post back and I may be able to help you do a true reset. Thought this was a Lenovo issue but might be android issue.

A reset IMHO should not ask you for prior email. You should have option to set up new email [like when bought new] or put in prior email if want to. Did you wipe cache? Should also reformat sd card.
.......
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.

Top