• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2020 8:16 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 22, 2005
12080 posts
125 upvotes
Oakville, ON

Tablet opinions please

Ok my 2013 Galaxy Tab is wearing out and getting harder and harder to stay up and running.

So my question is what would your opinion of the best tablet that is not Apple for around $500? I'm on a strict budget here and the tablet is just for playing online games, surfing the net and email. No productivity features required. 32gb would be fine with 4gb ram plus a micro memory card slot needed.
I've been looking and there are so many...
I'm actually going to wait for boxing day to buy one. Hopefully a good one will be on sale.

Thanks in advance.

Forgot. It has to be around 10" screen.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
11 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2277 posts
440 upvotes
I just bought the Tab S6 Lite and perfectly happy with it for the price range. Bought at $369, it was on sale $60 off. Not tp notch graphics compared to the regular S6 but fine for my needs right now. It's crisp, found a great keyboard case for it.

Your text to link here...
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 24, 2007
1499 posts
1747 upvotes
BC
king_george wrote: I'm on a strict budget here and the tablet is just for playing online games, surfing the net and email. No productivity features required. 32gb would be fine with 4gb ram plus a micro memory card slot needed.
What sort of online games are you playing ...Are you playing it through a browser? Knowing whether your gaming will be graphic intensive would determine what's suitable.

Surfing the internet, watching videos, and email are pretty light use and you can get by pretty well with an entry level tablet like the Lenovo M10 for about $180.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 22, 2005
12080 posts
125 upvotes
Oakville, ON
WetCoastGuy wrote: What sort of online games are you playing ...Are you playing it through a browser? Knowing whether your gaming will be graphic intensive would determine what's suitable.

Surfing the internet, watching videos, and email are pretty light use and you can get by pretty well with an entry level tablet like the Lenovo M10 for about $180.
Games like slots or puzzle games. Nothing browser based and no games like fortnight. Just to amuse myself while watching TV.
I'll look into those.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 8, 2003
8267 posts
669 upvotes
Scarborough
How about TAB A 7 10" which is under $300 (from previous deal of $269)? I have the TAB A 8 10" (2019) and I still get the software dates which is running Android 10 now. My previous Samsung tablets didn't get any updates after purchase.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4578 upvotes
Alberta
Menace wrote: How about TAB A 7 10" which is under $300 (from previous deal of $269)? I have the TAB A 8 10" (2019) and I still get the software dates which is running Android 10 now. My previous Samsung tablets didn't get any updates after purchase.
We always buy the 9.5/10” Tab A’s. It’s a good tablet for the price. The new Tab S7 is way too expensive for what it is and most people just use it for email, surfing the net and YouTube.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33521 posts
7149 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Huge Android fan, been using the Pixel phones since release. Also owned every Nexus tablet released by Asus / HTC / Google

The Nexus 9 was a disaster and there is a reason why google abandoned the tablet.

Honestly, you are better off with an iPad. I use an iPad Pro and it is tough to beat. If you are going to drop 500$ on a tablet, you are better off with an iPad

Just my 0.02¢
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 8, 2003
8267 posts
669 upvotes
Scarborough
We have 4 iPads range from IPad Air to IPad Mini 5 and a TAB A tablet. The only thing I don't like about IOS is the ability to use ads filtering, I can use apps like Adguard on our Android devices. I do run Pi-Hole and Adguard Home on Raspberry Pi, but there is no way I can block ads in IOS Youtube. Smart Youtube and Vanced Youtube on my Android Tablet/Phone.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 22, 2005
12080 posts
125 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Menace wrote: We have 4 iPads range from IPad Air to IPad Mini 5 and a TAB A tablet. The only thing I don't like about IOS is the ability to use ads filtering, I can use apps like Adguard on our Android devices. I do run Pi-Hole and Adguard Home on Raspberry Pi, but there is no way I can block ads in IOS Youtube. Smart Youtube and Vanced Youtube on my Android Tablet/Phone.
Just to counter your experience, my iPad that I won in a contest in 2015 was the worst piece of crap ever. The thing would never keep it's settings and the screen was like looking through a slightly grimy window. The person who donated the prize bought it just a few days before the draw and it was still in the original box. Apple tried twice to fix it and were spectacularly unsuccessful. I gave it to my grandson and he doesn't mind the aggravation.

That was when I got an android table from Samsung. Never had a problem until now and it's 7.5 years old and has been all over the world, on cruise ships, in the Alps at a cafe, on a bullet train in Japan and lots of other places. I hate to let it go but all electronics must come to an end. :(

I forget the ad blocker I put on it but I have zero issues with ads now. :)

Thanks for the advice though, it's appreciated.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 22, 2005
12080 posts
125 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Menace wrote: How about TAB A 7 10" which is under $300 (from previous deal of $269)? I have the TAB A 8 10" (2019) and I still get the software dates which is running Android 10 now. My previous Samsung tablets didn't get any updates after purchase.
This one looks good for $269 down from $400. Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 10.4" 64GB Android 10.0 Tablet With 8-Core Processor. Might have to order it tomorrow.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Member
Jun 10, 2006
432 posts
98 upvotes
Lenovo Duet Chromebook for the win! Modern thin Chromebook with the latest Android/Linux features. Just got one for my mom lately, to replace a Samsung 8.4" android tablet with a poor battery life.

Top