[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
1579 posts
793 upvotes
Cambridge

Tablet for Streaming

Hey everyone,
I haven't followed tablets in a while and my wife wants one mainly for Netflix and other streaming. She's semi set on an iPad. Are there any on sale right now or does anyone have another option? I'd really appreciate some input!
11 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
18988 posts
11834 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
If price is a factor then consider the Amazon Fire HD 8 Tablet for $100 or Fire HD 10 Tablet for $200. They're not going to be as good as an iPad for general use but streaming, including Netflix, is exactly what they're designed for.

These are often on sale. Unfortunately you just missed out on Christmas/Boxing Day.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
1579 posts
793 upvotes
Cambridge
bylo wrote: If price is a factor then consider the Amazon Fire HD 8 Tablet for $100 or Fire HD 10 Tablet for $200. They're not going to be as good as an iPad for general use but streaming, including Netflix, is exactly what they're designed for.

These are often on sale. Unfortunately you just missed out on Christmas/Boxing Day.
I was considering those..is the 10 much faster than the 8? I was following the thread for it and the need for bloatware removal for it to be sped up
Jan 18, 2015
763 posts
480 upvotes
Cornwall, ON
orbitdesign wrote: I was considering those..is the 10 much faster than the 8? I was following the thread for it and the need for bloatware removal for it to be sped up
Not really, they both are extremely low-end. Here's a comparison for you 8 vs 10. Don't be fooled by the 30% faster gimmick... 30% faster than a snail is still slow as a heck. If you exclusively plan on streaming then they are fine, but don't expect either one to do much else. If an iPad was even a consideration, it is leaps, bounds, and mountains faster than these. I mean like, an old iPad will give these a run for their money. Not trying to demote these or anything, but Apple (as overpriced as they are) only sell Premium devices, and these Amazon products are competing with the RCA Walmart junk of the world. If you want to save some money and still have some performance, some that run right down the middle in terms of price between Amazon tablets and the iPads are the Samsung A Series lineup. The "S" class Samsungs compete with Apple, the "E" class competes with the RCA Junk, but there's a middle of the road lineup which is quite popular and decent in the "A Series". They run between low $100 for a sale on a smaller one, to $300 for a regular price full size ~10".
Max Low Income NoAF CB:
SLOT1: Simplii 4%/1.5%
SLOT2 (3% Grocery in June) BMO CB MC ** MC for WM Supercentre+NoFrills
SLOT3 (1.25% OTHER): Amex SC/AmexBlueSky
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
18988 posts
11834 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
CouponBaron wrote: If you want to save some money and still have some performance, some that run right down the middle in terms of price between Amazon tablets and the iPads are the Samsung A Series lineup.
I have a Samsung A through Fido's "free" tablet promo. It's slow as molasses. Fine for video streaming and e-book reading but slow for anything else compared even to low-end phones. I don't have a Fire to compare with but it's hard to see how it could be any slower.

If OP wants to pursue this sort of option, see RFD thread [Fido] [Fido XTRA] Get a $0 tablet on a FREE 2-year tablet plan. That deal is gone but the current offer is still reasonable at $5/month for 24 months including 4GB/month of data. The linked thread also compares the Samsung to the Huawei.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3776 posts
1987 upvotes
Gotham
If you are buying a device for screen quality, the Samsung Galaxy Tab S series has a 10.5 inch 2560 x 1600 Super AMOLED (active matrix) screen. I got rid of my iPad Pro for this device because of the screen quality. However, if your wife wants an iPad, the decision is already made.
Jan 18, 2015
763 posts
480 upvotes
Cornwall, ON
bylo wrote: I have a Samsung A through Fido's "free" tablet promo. It's slow as molasses. Fine for video streaming and e-book reading but slow for anything else compared even to low-end phones. I don't have a Fire to compare with but it's hard to see how it could be any slower.

If OP wants to pursue this sort of option, see RFD thread [Fido] [Fido XTRA] Get a $0 tablet on a FREE 2-year tablet plan. That deal is gone but the current offer is still reasonable at $5/month for 24 months including 4GB/month of data. The linked thread also compares the Samsung to the Huawei.
Are you sure you got the "A" - they had "E" versions going around for $10/month for a long time. Either way, your slow-as-molasses one is far superior to the Amazon one, so you can imagine why I'm warning them about the Amazon.
Max Low Income NoAF CB:
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
18988 posts
11834 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
CouponBaron wrote: Are you sure you got the "A"
Yes. Absolutely sure. They still offer it on promo but the deal is no longer "free."

Note that this is the 2018 version that has LTE support. The 2019 version that's sold in stores has a faster processor and better screen but lacks LTE (which is probably why Fido doesn't offer it with a data plan promo.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Jan 18, 2015
763 posts
480 upvotes
Cornwall, ON
bylo wrote: Yes. Absolutely sure. They still offer it on promo but the deal is no longer "free."

Note that this is the 2018 version that has LTE support. The 2019 version that's sold in stores has a faster processor and better screen but lacks LTE (which is probably why Fido doesn't offer it with a data plan promo.)
Ahh, I see. It's sad the level of some of these products that are shovelled to the unknowing... Many of them are essentially glorified e-readers really...
Max Low Income NoAF CB:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
1579 posts
793 upvotes
Cambridge
Thanks for all the info, everyone. Looks like it might be best-case to get an iPad when they hit ~$380. More than is necessary for the task but better, IMO, than spending $100-200 on something sub-par.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19600 posts
4742 upvotes
Toronto
Look for a refurb iPad from apples site.