None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
1005 posts
190 upvotes
Ottawa, ON

Tablets and setting them up for kids

My wife wants to get our two kids (4 and 7) tablets (much to my disagreement, but that's another issue).

IF I agree to get the kids tablets, I want to ensure they are ones that are easy to use and "locked down" to limit the trouble they can get into. I don't consider any of the kid toy like tablets a real option as they are not likely to hold the 7 year old's interest, but on the flip side I need something that is easy for our 4 year old to use.

I rarely let my kids use my phone purely for the fact that while they are in a game etc they get bombarded with options to purchase in game content or other games, etc. I'd like to severely limit this even though I don't intend to have the device set up to make purchases easily (ie, not having it remember my CC info).

I'm not against my kids having access to technology, I just don't want something that then requires me to be immediately nearby when they wish to use them to get them back to main menus.

My thought is an Android based tablet with some sort of OS type app that can be started as default that is more "kid friendly".

My wife seems to simply want to give them a tablet to share so that they can have something to play games without needing cartridges to be carried around. The kids live the Wii U as an example as it is a tablet which they can use to play games that we have purchased and stored directly on the console vs. discs and they can access YouTube to watch videos. Obviously, the tablet relies on the console being nearby. So if I could get a tablet with a kid friendly Os type interface, purchase and install games that don't push more in-game purchases, I'd be pretty content. I just saw too yesterday there is a Kids Youtube App which I'd likely install vs. the standard app.

So what are my options here? Has anybody achieved this?

I heard a horror story from my neighbour the other day where his 9 year old kid charged $500 on his credit card with in-game purchases. My neighbour had setup the tablet with passwords, etc to prevent this, but somehow his son learned of a bypass and proceeded to purchase these things without their knowledge or permission.
5 replies
Jan 11, 2004
280 posts
165 upvotes
Wood0209 wrote: My wife wants to get our two kids (4 and 7) tablets (much to my disagreement, but that's another issue).
iPad: use Restrictions (parental controls) to prevent access to things you don't want them to use. Also use Guided Access to lock them to a specific app if necessary.
I have an Android device with kid mode but it isn't very good. Other members may be able to point you to something worthwhile with Android.

This type of scenario you describe
I heard a horror story from my neighbour the other day where his 9 year old kid charged $500 on his credit card
may happen when you do this:
I just don't want something that then requires me to be immediately nearby
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12254 posts
6804 upvotes
Brampton
What's the protocol in place for when they turn in to zombies of the glowing blue screen?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
1005 posts
190 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
johnas wrote: iPad: use Restrictions (parental controls) to prevent access to things you don't want them to use. Also use Guided Access to lock them to a specific app if necessary.
I have an Android device with kid mode but it isn't very good. Other members may be able to point you to something worthwhile with Android.

This type of scenario you describe
may happen when you do this:
Should have mentioned iPads are out of the question purely given the cost.

One thought I have is install the apps/games I want them to have and turn off the Wifi. They won't have access to YouTube until I turn it on, but most games should work without it.
tebore wrote: What's the protocol in place for when they turn in to zombies of the glowing blue screen?
This is one of the reasons I don't want them to have a tablet. The kids have plenty of electronics already between the Wii U, DS's, and then the cheap Leapfrog and V-Tech Innotab things we bought years ago. I get my wife's point that the tablet would replace the Leapfrog and Innotab, but still, even without those, the DS and WiiU's are sufficient in my eyes. The kids are great at being active outside, or playing with their toys. We don't have strict time limits as to how much "screen time" they can have each day, but without us, they would watch Youtube or play Minecraft on the WiiU all day if allowed.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2330 posts
338 upvotes
In another world
My wife has a 5 year old kid who has been using an Android tablet for maybe a year or so.
He knows how to download games, check YouTube, record videos, take pictures, play with Snapchat, etc.

My wife's sister in law has a 4 year old kid who watches YouTube videos, but not sure if he knows how to select other videos to watch. Maybe his mom gets him to YouTube and the kid browses around.

So basically kids 4+ years old know how to use a tablet, even when they don't know how to type (as my wife's kid), or don't know how to talk (like the 4 y/o one).

But for my wife's son I've installed Kids Place for parental control (free app).
That allows me to select which apps he can see and use (the others are password protected in a separate screen).

Unfortunately by allowing the YouTube app, he could watch any video. There's no parental filter in the YouTube app, only when YouTube is used in a computer AFAIK.

Even more, you could block the Google Play app to avoid your kid download stuff, and when he or she wants to, you can type your password, open Google Play, download and install whatever they want if you authorize it, add that app or game to the whitelist, and then go back to the Kids Place screen with allowed apps and games.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
1005 posts
190 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
@gontori

There is a Youtube Kids App you may consider trying.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... paign%3Dlp

I am sure my kids know how to use a tablet, or will learn quickly once given access. They can both work themselves around the Wii U tablet pretty effectively. I'll look into that Kids Place app you mentioned.

My oldest knows how to access YouTube on her 3DS and the WiiU and search for videos and she is pretty good about alerting us if she starts a video from a user she may not be familiar with and there is cursing.