Site Comments & Suggestions

Locked: Tacklife is banned on RFD for shilling?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2019 1:19 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1886 upvotes
Cochrane, AB

Tacklife is banned on RFD for shilling?

So I just had one of my Amazon deal threads for multimeters deleted from Hot Deals and the PM of the moderator said "Reason: Tacklife is banned on RFD for shilling". What gives? Why is RFD deleting so many deal threads? I've seen other threads deleted, too, not just Tacklife ones. And these are deals I'm actually trying to buy!!! And there are other RFDers buying in those threads, too! Because the prices are actually "hot" and not because I'm a "shill". If I was a shill, I would hope at least I would get paid something!

Is there some central list of banned sellers we can't mention on RFD? I would hope at least Logitech gets banned.
Share:
60 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6380 posts
6219 upvotes
JoeStale wrote: So I just had one of my Amazon deal threads for multimeters deleted from Hot Deals and the PM of the moderator said "Reason: Tacklife is banned on RFD for shilling". What gives? Why is RFD deleting so many deal threads? I've seen other threads deleted, too, not just Tacklife ones. And these are deals I'm actually trying to buy!!! And there are other RFDers buying in those threads, too! Because the prices are actually "hot" and not because I'm a "shill". If I was a shill, I would hope at least I would get paid something!

Is there some central list of banned sellers we can't mention on RFD? I would hope at least Logitech gets banned.
Lol what? Why would Logitech get banned? :/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1886 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
superfresh89 wrote: Lol what? Why would Logitech get banned? :/
Oh, come on! It's so obvious when there are Logitech shill threads
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6380 posts
6219 upvotes
JoeStale wrote: Oh, come on! It's so obvious when there are Logitech shill threads
I have no idea what you're talking about. Tacklife is some cheap China clone brand that no one's heard of... Logitech is a major manufacturer of high quality electronics. Not sure how you can compare the two. Never seen a Logitech shill lol
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1886 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
superfresh89 wrote: I have no idea what you're talking about. Tacklife is some cheap China clone brand that no one's heard of... Logitech is a major manufacturer of high quality electronics. Not sure how you can compare the two. Never seen a Logitech shill lol
I would rather buy some hot Tacklife deals than super overpriced Logitech POS gear threads.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6380 posts
6219 upvotes
JoeStale wrote: I would rather buy some hot Tacklife deals than super overpriced Logitech POS gear threads.
Ignorance is bliss
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
20818 posts
31254 upvotes
ONTARIO
My only experience with Tacklife so far has been with their arc lighters they sell. They are still going great a year later so meh, I don't think they are bad.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
16214 posts
31076 upvotes
Scarborough
Yes Tacklife is one of the Amazon sellers who have been added to our blacklist for recruiting shills to post deals on their behalf. For legal reasons we do not publicly share the list but if anyone wants to know if an Amazon seller is blacklisted or not, they can ask myself or any of our moderators.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1886 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
TomRFD wrote: Yes Tacklife is one of the Amazon sellers who have been added to our blacklist for recruiting shills to post deals on their behalf. For legal reasons we do not publicly share the list but if anyone wants to know if an Amazon seller is blacklisted or not, they can ask myself or any of our moderators.
How do you know who is a shill and who is not a shill? Do you catch them by reading people's private messages?

And I think you should let RFDers decide for themselves instead of banning so many good deals. We already have the downvotes button to sort out the bad deals. I don't care if someone is a shill as long as they bring a really good deal. I'm actually buying the stuff from the threads you keep deleting!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1886 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
So I've noticed a lot of threads have been getting deleted from the Hot Deals section for things I bought after seeing them get posted (Actual SUPER hot deals I got delivered, unlike that dumb dish soap thread). I won't mention any names because apparently there is a secret list of banned companies we can't post hot deals for because the mods and admins consider them to be shilling on here:

tacklife-banned-rfd-shilling-2265721/

So my question to you is, do you care if somebody is a shill as long as they bring a really hot deal? For me, I have no issue if someone is a shill as long as the deals they bring are really hot. And I can always downvotes a thread if the deal sucks.

Like, do you consider @Thatdealguy guy a shill for Shaw for bringing to us that super hot Shaw internet deal so many of us signed up for? If we go by the RFD rules, he would be banned and mentioning Shaw on here would also be banned. Is this the kind of puritan RFD we want? I say NO! And the site admins need to change their rules and consider what the members on here want, the ones actually spending money on deals, like me!
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2553 posts
3065 upvotes
Fredericton
JoeStale wrote: How do you know who is a shill and who is not a shill? Do you catch them by reading people's private messages?

And I think you should let RFDers decide for themselves instead of banning so many good deals. We already have the downvotes button to sort out the bad deals. I don't care if someone is a shill as long as they bring a really good deal. I'm actually buying the stuff from the threads you keep deleting!!!
I've had people PM me in the past offering "perks" if I will post threads for their products, which I reported. I imagine this happens regularly.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1886 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
Bordak wrote: I've had people PM me in the past offering "perks" if I will post threads for their products, which I reported. I imagine this happens regularly.
I wouldn't have cared if you accepted the perks if the deal you posted was actually hot. Look at all the dang Anker threads in Hot Deals that are obviously shilled and cold yet we keep them around!
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11175 posts
3537 upvotes
Winnipeg
JoeStale wrote: I wouldn't have cared if you accepted the perks if the deal you posted was actually hot. Look at all the dang Anker threads in Hot Deals that are obviously shilled and cold yet we keep them around!
anker or aukey because anker is a pretty legit company. Over priced as far as I'm concerned.

As to tacklife. I have a distance meter and a voltage tester that I paid peanuts for that work fine. But if someone is trolling PM's and pumping rewards for advertising in forums then the Mods are right........... black list them.But mostly.....ban the members who are doing that as well.

If there is a list of products and peeps etc can you point me to where its posted so I can get a heads up. I really have no clue where that would be.

Honestly I can't really find what peoples ranking means or forum rules. Wasn't it clearer to find that stuff before?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1886 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
lead wrote: anker or aukey because anker is a pretty legit company. Over priced as far as I'm concerned.
Anker threads are shilled and I never buy from them. I actually buy Aukey things some times on lightning deals or price drops.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5912 posts
7674 upvotes
This is the forum rule which members need to follow no matter if you are shill or not. I'm sure there are reasons to set this rule by RFD. Besides that, any deals are sold by third-party sellers with less than 1,000 lifetime ratings cannot be posted, but you can ask for an exception from Admin.

Tacklife is one of the hot sellers being deleted quite often here. They have some products with good quality. Very quite often, Tacklife forgets to withdraw the coupon on the lightning deal, so the deal becomes very hot. I just grab their garden tools set with $10 coupon + lightning deal.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6477 posts
3485 upvotes
Toronto
I care because sometimes I, and probably many others, can't always tell if the deal is that good immediately. Let's say it's a piece of technology, a dashcam or something that I don't really know much about. I depend on RFDers who know more, to share their knowledge and inform the rest of us whether this is a good product, seller, price. I find that in many cases, the greatest value to these forums is in the community discussion. And that only works if you can trust that everyone else is trying to share their opinions honestly. That doesn't mean they are always correct, we all have biases, but to me at least a lot of the value of RFD would be lost if I had to constantly try to figure out who's an actual paid salesman, for a product I don't really know much about.

Obviously some deals are really obvious and for well known products, but there are many that aren't, and knowing that some people out there have a real vested interest in you buying them (like how referral links are banned too) would really harm that part of the forum experience in my opinion.
Feb 15, 2019
42 posts
45 upvotes
lcmt wrote: This is the forum rule which members need to follow no matter if you are shill or not. I'm sure there are reasons to set this rule by RFD. Besides that, any deals are sold by third-party sellers with less than 1,000 lifetime ratings cannot be posted, but you can ask for an exception from Admin.

Tacklife is one of the hot sellers being deleted quite often here. They have some products with good quality. Very quite often, Tacklife forgets to withdraw the coupon on the lightning deal, so the deal becomes very hot. I just grab their garden tools set with $10 coupon + lightning deal.
I agree, rfd is a business and they want their cut from businesses and need to do what they need to do. Rfd is not a deals site for consumers but a business making money off their users

Lots of users like me use adblocker like ad guard and don't click on affiliate links, so they need make money elsewhere
Feb 15, 2019
42 posts
45 upvotes
Manatus wrote: I care because sometimes I, and probably many others, can't always tell if the deal is that good immediately. Let's say it's a piece of technology, a dashcam or something that I don't really know much about. I depend on RFDers who know more, to share their knowledge and inform the rest of us whether this is a good product, seller, price. I find that in many cases, the greatest value to these forums is in the community discussion. And that only works if you can trust that everyone else is trying to share their opinions honestly. That doesn't mean they are always correct, we all have biases, but to me at least a lot of the value of RFD would be lost if I had to constantly try to figure out who's an actual paid salesman, for a product I don't really know much about.

Obviously some deals are really obvious and for well known products, but there are many that aren't, and knowing that some people out there have a real vested interest in you buying them (like how referral links are banned too) would really harm that part of the forum experience in my opinion.
But shills in OPs example are good deals, shills aren't banned because they sell poor products or deal is bad, they simply didnt pay rfd to post their product and circumvent paying rfd

Lots of poor business and bad deals on rfd as sponsored content
Last edited by Layover on Feb 19th, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
6023 posts
7179 upvotes
The NORTH
Layover wrote: I agree, rfd is a business and they want their cut from businesses and need to do what they need to do. Rfd is not a deals site for consumers but a business making money off their users

Lots of users like me use adblocker like ad guard and don't click on affiliate links, so they need make money elsewhere
totally agree, when the product is free, YOU are the commodity.

OP is wrong, this is NOT a community, this is a business.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1886 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
Example of the numerous Anker shill threads on RFD in Hot Deals front page right now:

amazon-ca-anker-charging-acessories-sale-2265606/

You can totally tell this is a paid Anker shill. A generic post with just "sale" Anker prices with nothing of value and extremely high prices. I would totally love to ban all Anker threads because there is nothing ever worth buying from Anker and they have so many shills here. Just look at the thread and who posted it:

"Anker Charging Acessories SALE!"

User: engeechoo

Member since Aug 22, 2014
Last seen Feb 19, 2019 9:56 PM
Winnipeg, MB

17 Posts (0.01 posts per day)

Only 17 posts ever and this Anker one is just a generic list of Anker products.