Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2007
1166 posts
890 upvotes
van

TACO REVIEW - Chipotle Mexican Grill

Chipotle Mexican Grill

2323 Yonge Street

The grand opening of Chipotle at Yonge and Egg was yesterday. I gave em a day to get their junk together and impress my shorts off.

Wasnt expecting much since this place is more of a burrito joint, but I just moved into the neighbourhood, so I had to give it a try since it might be feeding me for the next few years.

First off, Chipotle goes against the very first rule of a good taco shack: homeless bums. I saw none. In fact I saw the opposite everywhere. Just dudes in boat shoes and flocks of girls eyeing my taco skills. The inside of Chipotle is some modern crap, with metal tables and some ultra bright heat lamps youre supposed to chow down under. Dont forget this place used to be owned by my highschool payroll, McDicks (employee of the month Jan 2000 whut whut).

[IMG]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55157/TacoToron ... potle4.jpg[/IMG]

They assemble the tacos like you would a burger, which is not a good thing. Lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, sour cream all crowd my poor little cubes of taco meat. Felt like I was eating a salad on a bun. All served on some styrofoam old el paso type of flour tortillas.

[IMG]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55157/TacoToron ... potle3.jpg[/IMG]
Whos that hiding under my salad

For meats, you can choose from grilled steak, chicken, barbacoa, carnitas and some veggie option for the sensitive type. Barbacoa and pork carnitas are probably your best bets as they come shredded and dowsed in sauce. Otherwise, they all pretty much taste exactly the same.

The steak comes in fatass cubes that although look bloody, are actually still tough ****** cuts of steak. The chicken comes in cubes too and doesnt really have any spices or taste to go with it. And finally the Barbacoa is shredded and would probably taste alright if they didnt dump a salad on top. Definitely need to load up on their chipotle tobasco sauce to make these things edible.

[IMG]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55157/TacoToron ... potle2.jpg[/IMG]
bak bak bak

[IMG]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55157/TacoToron ... potle1.jpg[/IMG]
moo moo moo

Theres just no care taken in putting together the tacos here. The cheese is ice cold along with the lettuce, a turd of guacamole is like a buck fifty extra, and the poor, dislexic girl at the counter didnt know what cilantro was. Chipotle is what Lebron is to me right now, just an overhyped corporate machine with no heart. Sure Chipotle is known for their supposed fresh local produce and ability to drive to the paint consistently, but it does nothing for me. I do not root for the big guys, I'd rather just stick to the veterans like Mexitaco and Horrace Grant. Nothing fancy but damn good players. You know what i mean

Rating: 2/5
41 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
8585 posts
5370 upvotes
I agree with you, I always find it shocking when someone tells me they think Chipotle is the best burrito in the city. Then you ask them how many other burrito places they've tried, & the answer is none or very few. The steak was so tough & chewy, me and my friend vowed to never go there again.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1954 upvotes
Elmira
Sigh.

It's too trendy to hate on a chain for the wrong reasons, IMO. Chipotle is the one targetted the most on here. Normally I would agree, believe me...

But I've had better experiences there than some visits to BB.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3160 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
If Chipotle manages to squeak out a 2/5 on the taco scale with their lack of cilantro, lack of spicing and sour cream topped tacos (also looks like flour tortillas, which is big time fail), what horrible monstrosity deserves a 1/5 or 0/5? A taco made with feces filling and a newspaper tortilla? Taco Bell?
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2007
1166 posts
890 upvotes
van
sphincter tacos now were talkin!

Yeah chipotle's junk and all but I guess they get some points for fresh junk. They dooo make their own salsas, thats worth a point.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
Good review. I like your writing style! :D
Aug 6, 2006
563 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
Went there yesterday, the food was horrible.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
55 upvotes
Is taco bell that bad too?
I only had a bean burrito there years ago and that was very forgetable.
I would hope taco bell would have improved after a few years?

the only place I've bought tacos from is the local pizza place beside my house...and those are quite good!
really fake mexican,but the chicken they use is very good!

what is really to avoid at chipotle or taco bell?
just if I go and that happens to be the only thing around?
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2007
1166 posts
890 upvotes
van
Yeah I'd still do chipotle over burrito boyz.
But thats like choosing turds over farts.

Get a burrito at chipotle if you must walk in.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2007
1166 posts
890 upvotes
van
Aha yeahhh... my system depends on my mood
Eh theyre both crap ratings either way :twisted:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)