• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2019 1:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4113 posts
1608 upvotes

Tailors in Toronto: my recommendations for shortening the sleeves

If you are a man who has broader shoulders relative to your arms, like me, you may need to shorten the sleeves of your jackets.

I just wanted to share my experiences: 3 different tailors, and 4 different garments. SAME alteration (shortening the sleeves).

If you don't want to read all the details, just scroll down to the results.

Jacket #1 : A casual corduroy jacket by Benetton, with surgeon's cuffs (3 functioning buttons on the sleeves). In my opinion, shortening the sleeves of this jacket should be the easiest of the four, due to the cotton fabric, solid color (no pattern).
Tailor: Shoppe and Tailor, contact info can be found at http://shoppeandtailor.com/
How did I find this place? Searching in Yelp, and Google, they have very good reviews. It was the first time I visit there (and it will be the last, more about that in a minute).
Price: $45 + tax
Waiting time: 13 days (I dropped it on Sept. 23, they asked me to pick it up on October 6).

Jacket #2 : A dressy sport jacket made of 100% wool by Ralph Lauren. IMO the sleeves are harder to shorten than jacket #1, because the fabric is very thick, and the fabric has a pattern.
Tailor: Clean Touch Dry Cleaners, 108 Elizabeth St, Toronto.
How did I find it? I walked into Tom's Place https://www.toms-place.com/ at Kensington Market. I talked to the owner Tom Mihalik and a clerk. They charge $25 for shortening the sleeves of a jacket, but you have to buy the jacket, or suit, from them, so they could not do it. Tom was very helpful, and they gave me the business card of "Clean Touch Dry Cleaners", at 108 Elizabeth St. The clerk told me they do excellent work. It was the first time I visited "Clean Touch Dry Cleaners", and I was not very sure, because the name implies they do dry cleaning.
Price: $25 + tax (same price than Tom's Place would charge)
Waiting time: 2 days (I dropped it on Wednesday, it was ready on Friday)

Jacket #3 : A suede jacket by Gant.
Tailor: St Clair Textiles, 1066 St Clair Ave W, Toronto, ON M6E 1A5
How did I find it? I have been using them for years. I used to rent a place around the corner
Price: $30 (prices vary depending on leather)
Waiting time: 4 days

Jacket #4 : A black leather jacket from Banana Republic.
Tailor: St Clair Textiles, 1066 St Clair Ave W, Toronto, ON M6E 1A5
How did I find it? I have been using them for years. I used to rent a place around the corner
Price: $30
Waiting time: 5 days

Last edited by motomondo on May 7th, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
4 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4113 posts
1608 upvotes
The results

St Clair Textiles is amazing. Suede and leather alterations are a completely different animal, not everyone does them. St Clair Textiles may be the best in the city for leather jackets alterations. The two jackets look great, there's no way to tell that the sleeves were shorten. 5 stars (and bonus points for service with a smile).

Clean Touch Dry Cleaners, 108 Elizabeth St. is also, 5 stars. I have no idea how they did it, the sleeves got shorter and look like there was no alteration at all. I don't know anything about their dry cleaning, but alterations are top notch.

Shoppe and Tailor: Never again! Run on the opposite direction. The prices are 80% higher (in comparison to Clean Touch Dry Cleaners , $25 vs. $45), it is the slowest service (six times slower than Clean Touch Dry Cleaners, 2 days vs. 13 days), and at the end, they could not even do it. A few days after I dropped the jacket, they phoned me to tell me they could NOT shorten the sleeves of my corduroy jacket because of the 3 functioning buttons on the sleeves. The only way they could shorten the sleeves would be by turning the buttons into non-functioning ones, and with the caveat that there was a chance it would not look "right" at the end.

Of course, your mileage may vary, every garment is different. For example, Shoppe and Tailor has great reviews online, and I don't get that (it is a mystery). Clean Touch Dry Cleaners has just a few reviews, with average rating, but they did a perfect alteration for me.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
3474 posts
651 upvotes
Appreciate the thread and the report but was it really a fair comparison? The first jacket was the only one with functional surgeon cuffs - requiring the entire sleeve to come off in order to be shortened properly.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4113 posts
1608 upvotes
I think it is a fair comparison because the price they quoted is for the same job. They never intended to adjust the length of the sleeve by making the alteration from the top.

Actually, they didn't even suggested that. Your post shows that you know way more about alterations that the people working at Shoppe and Tailor.

I don't want to bash on them anymore, but there's more to the story. When the called me on the phone, asking me to go back and pick up the jacket, I asked them "if you cannot do the alteration, why didn't you tell me in the first place? So I could go somewhere else"

Shoppe and Tailor's answer: "The lady who was helping you doesn't know what she is doing"

When a store or shop, of any kind, confesses that the staff doesn't know what they are doing ... well, don't go there.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13423 posts
2281 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Thanks, it is always interesting to read reviews by ppl on this forum!
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Adversity is a growth opportunity. Change happens at the periphery.