• Dec 21st, 2004 2:27 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 27, 2003
179 posts
6 upvotes

Taiwanese Food

Anyone know a good website for Taiwanese food recipes? Like the Taiwanese food found @ Bubble Tea shops?

I feel like some Condensed Milk Toast and Meat Sauce on Rice
I know it should be easy, but I'm such a cooking noob :)
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2004
5786 posts
285 upvotes
hmm....don't know any sites, but u can try to google it. If not, i know there are some good cook books around.
Apr 2, 2004
328 posts
38 upvotes
Excuse my ignorance but what's considered Taiwanese food? Would a teahouse like Go For Tea (right name?) in Markham be considered Taiwanese?

I've only really had Cantonese and Szechuan (sp?).

Cheers!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9401 posts
526 upvotes
Markham
shadomoon wrote:Excuse my ignorance but what's considered Taiwanese food? Would a teahouse like Go For Tea (right name?) in Markham be considered Taiwanese?

I've only really had Cantonese and Szechuan (sp?).

Cheers!
Taiwan is kind of popular for their tea and special drinks and whatnot... so maybe, but I'm not sure what that place exactly is.

Metro Square at around Warden/Steeles has quite a few Taiwanese places if you're interested in trying their stuff out.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
40859 posts
4632 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
true.. its mostly yhe tea/drinks..

I dont know about food. but on Fairchild they have this show where teh guy goes around those lil take out resurants around Taiwan and samples all the food..

alot of noodle soups and things like that. Sometimes exotic things like ... BBQ testicle.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6274 posts
66 upvotes
Etobicoke
The condensed milk on toast is so easy to make it's funny. Just butter up bread, toaste it, and pour warmed condensed milk over it. There's no magic. If you find the condensed milk too thick, add water or 2% milk to it to dilute.

As for meat sauce on rice, do you mean [IMG]http://img74.exs.cx/img74/5855/snap18us.jpg[/IMG]??

If so, Chinese supermarkets sell packages of flavouring with which you can add to cubes of pork, boil it until it falls apart (or you can tear it apart yourself), add some marinated veggies and pour over rice. Add a tea leaf boiled egg if you want (flavouring also available in supermarkets) Almost all the packages I've seen include detailed instructions. The steps are a bit tedious but the result is well worth it.
Mar 27, 2003
658 posts
18 upvotes
I will suggest to google the exact dish that you are looking for
for condensed milk toast

u just need to buy a whole bread and cut into big piecese and pour condense milk on it and put into oven
Oct 4, 2004
380 posts
Markham, ON
There is a Tawinesse Supermarket located at "Metro Square" (Warden & Steeles) ... basically you can get the ingredients from there ...
Nov 28, 2003
326 posts
YVR
eelfliw wrote:The condensed milk on toast is so easy to make it's funny. Just butter up bread, toaste it, and pour warmed condensed milk over it. There's no magic. If you find the condensed milk too thick, add water or 2% milk to it to dilute.
butter? really??? hmm...maybe i'm wrong, but i thought it's just bread (toasted or not) with condensed milk on top.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6274 posts
66 upvotes
Etobicoke
jeanluc wrote:butter? really??? hmm...maybe i'm wrong, but i thought it's just bread (toasted or not) with condensed milk on top.
Yes, I like it with butter instead of plain. Adding butter adds a bit of saltiness and oil to the toast and enhances flavour/smell. Adding a bit of Parmisean cheese also adds flavour. Experiment with different things.
Dec 13, 2004
936 posts
39 upvotes
By Yonge and Finch, there's a really good place to eat taiwanese food. Don't remember the name, but its the only taiwanese resturant. It has the best meat sauce rice i've ate so far...

and cheap too! $3.99 lunch special with drink
- Instant noodle is the way for a healthy balanced diet
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4503 posts
161 upvotes
Austin/Markham
i;ve lived in Markham for 15+ yrs and I have never come across a place that sells TW food, bubble tea ya, but not like da traditional breakfast store selling food or the street vendor selling fried snacks..... it wasn't until I went to Taiwan I found out how diff. TW food is from Chinese...your best bet is to buy the ingredients and just cook it at home,

I think T&T is the best for that, they sell all the ingredients, and can just make it at home. DAM-BI for breakfast or chai bow (vege buns) mmmmmm :D
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain