Home & Garden

Taking queen size box spring to a another floor?

[OP]
Jan 22, 2018
55 posts
6 upvotes

Taking queen size box spring to a another floor?

So got stuck into a strange problem. In a victorian 100+ years old house. Stair case is 2.5 feet broad, and the way it is positioned, can't take the box spring to an upper floor. Could move queen size mattress as could bend it.

Heard about some options such as cut-this into 2 pieces and make it foldable, though preferring to avoid it.
No way to take this inside windows on upper floors and/or somehow take it to terrace.

Any other way someone could think of?

Thanks for your time!
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1186 posts
655 upvotes
Ripley
Sell the box spring and buy a bed frame that doesn't need one. There is no magic way to reduce the size of the current bed frame unless you cut it up. I live in an old house, we bought a low profile split box spring. We've replaced the mattress but keep the same box spring.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6139 posts
2724 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Had the same issue in a '30s era house. Couldn't get the box spring through the top floor stair opening.

As above would be the best (boxless bed frame). Cut a box spring in two and it will probably lose all structural integrity and strength, not that there is that much.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2833 posts
1304 upvotes
Mississauga
Queen sized split box spring is what you need
Images
  • queen split.jpeg
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3250 posts
2208 upvotes
Toronto
Yep - no answer to the problem. It is what it is.

Our King mattress is on the third floor. I took it up there when I was rebuilding the stairs, so it was lifted straight up into the room. No box spring though - it's on a simple IKEA bedframe with slats and a headboard I made myself.

When it's time for it to go, I suspect it will need to be bent beyond limits to get down the steep 100 year old stairs. It would likely get replaced with two Twin XL's.

But it's a great mattress and I have no doubt I'll have it another 10+ years.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9987 posts
5261 upvotes
Paris
Many older houses have strange windows, tiny doors, or other openings on the second or third floor designed specifically to move in mattresses.