Talk me out of this 2016 BMW 650 for $38k

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2020 10:56 pm
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
I'm not really serious about this, of course. Still, I am interested at how the value of these luxo-barges plunges in the first 4 years.
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
Demand and supply for higher ends is very limited as any out of warranty cars are scary to own for most people.

Dealers will have to offer ultra low amount for those who are trading them in and in turn, they may have to wait for many, many months or even year for a customer looking for one.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6963 posts
6079 upvotes
Oakville, ON
CaptSmethwick wrote: I think your comments hurt its feelings because I noticed this morning that the dealership dropped the price by another $2000: https://www.autotrader.ca/a/bmw/6%20ser ... 4&sprx=100

A completely unrelated question: does any RFDer here have any insight into whether pimps or drug dealers follow manufacturers suggested maintenance schedules?
And yet they still haven’t updated their ad to reflect the current kms on the vehicle. It was @ 70,xxx when they took the pictures and who knows how many more they’ve racked up In the days/weeks since then.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
CanadianLurker wrote: And yet they still haven’t updated their ad to reflect the current kms on the vehicle. It was @ 70,xxx when they took the pictures and who knows how many more they’ve racked up In the days/weeks since then.
I'm sure it's popular among dealership management...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
I think what everyone said about the cost of maintenance. If you can afford it, go for it.

It seems unnecessary to have turbos on a 4.4L engine. Yes, it may go 0-100 in under five seconds instead of six seconds, but if one or more of the turbos break, it won't be cheap. The other thing about some BMWs is they use two different tire sizes on the front and rear and they are run-flat tires. If this uses run-flats, find the replacement cost. It might surprise you.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
batcave wrote: I think what everyone said about the cost of maintenance. If you can afford it, go for it.

It seems unnecessary to have turbos on a 4.4L engine. Yes, it may go 0-100 in under five seconds instead of six seconds, but if one or more of the turbos break, it won't be cheap. The other thing about some BMWs is they use two different tire sizes on the front and rear and they are run-flat tires. If this uses run-flats, find the replacement cost. It might surprise you.
Lots of cars run staggered fitment and lots of cars now using run flats. Both of those are not unique to BMW.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
EP32k2 wrote: Lots of cars run staggered fitment and lots of cars now using run flats. Both of those are not unique to BMW.
Exactly. My old Cadillac SRXes (I've had an '04 and an '08) came with a staggered set-up. 235s up from and 255s out back. You live with the replacement costs of the tires or you switch to 255s or 235s all around. Cadillac engineers modeled different set-ups and concluded that this was the best combination of steering feel and acceleration/stability/cornering. I switched to 235s all around so I could rotate - plus those 255s were pricey.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
EP32k2 wrote:
Lots of cars run staggered fitment and lots of cars now using run flats. Both of those are not unique to BMW.
CaptSmethwick wrote: Exactly. My old Cadillac SRXes (I've had an '04 and an '08) came with a staggered set-up. 235s up from and 255s out back. You live with the replacement costs of the tires or you switch to 255s or 235s all around. Cadillac engineers modeled different set-ups and concluded that this was the best combination of steering feel and acceleration/stability/cornering. I switched to 235s all around so I could rotate - plus those 255s were pricey.
This ain't a 911.

Lots of BMWs, Minis, MB and Cadillacs according to this, https://www.edmunds.com/driving-tips/ru ... rimer.html

I guess I didn't know because I've never owned any of these vehicles.

Any other marques that use run flats?