Taming a budgie - LOUD

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2020 10:28 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 16, 2020
1 posts

Taming a budgie - LOUD

I am wondering if anyone out there has some tips for taming your pet budgie to be a little less loud. I've had my darling little guy for 4 years now, and he's great. He's pretty tame, like he'll sit on your finger, you can pet him and he's overall very pleasant and cute. However, he's got serious separation anxiety or something - because if I move even a couple feet away, he starts screaming. It's a problem when I'm trying to work from home and I don't want to have to cover his cage to quiet him down.

Anyone have any tips for this?
2 replies
May 21, 2015
847 posts
404 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
There isn't really much you can do about the loudness . Can't you just leave it out with you at your desk if it's bonded to you. It might just quiet down eventually and sit or sleep on your shoulder. Give it a few days.
Jun 11, 2019
145 posts
119 upvotes
North York, Toronto
I know exactly nothing about birds, but generally if your pet goes berserk just in anticipation of you leaving their sight, they're probably bored or don't have enough to stimulate them in your absence. People like to leave TV's on for their pets (according to StatsCanada, 47% of CBC viewership is people leaving the tv on for their cats). But usually this is more than just leaving a toy for them,, they sometimes just lack purpose and sovereignty/independence. This is why the more independent a pet is, generally the easier it is to crate them.

In your birds case, not sure what'll help. Mind toys? Do you let it out of its cage often? Maybe it'll calm down if you allow it to be the king of his domain.