Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Tangerine

1 year non registered GIC at 4.85%, (not targeted offer, open to everyone, new or actual clients)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2022 12:33 am
Feb 2, 2018
278 posts
137 upvotes
it a good idea to drop a big sum for this promo? I think it’s insured up to 100k protection
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2020
1202 posts
3463 upvotes
Jumanji12 wrote: it a good idea to drop a big sum for this promo? I think it’s insured up to 100k protection
Insured up to 100
[OP]
Penalty Box
Nov 21, 2013
8128 posts
9301 upvotes
Montréal
emma30 wrote: Use language how you like at the risk of people misunderstanding you. "e-Transfer" is a registered Canadian trademark of Interac Corp. Note that EFTs involving humans are still performed electronically.
A trademark of Interac... LOL

Read back the question and anybody here understands what this member wanted to know

But thanks for your crash course on how EFT's are transferred and for educate us to not to use "e-transfer" when we are not talking about an Interac transfer.

A Kleenex is not a Kleenex, it's a facial tissue. But everyone understands what's a Kleenex. 🤦
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2008
1318 posts
304 upvotes
I opened the 90 day 3.2% GIC with RBC. The 1yr was at 4.25 but I will wait 90 days and it should be a little higher, pretty sure it will not be lower. I am fine locking in for 15 months
Feb 2, 2018
278 posts
137 upvotes
Mlj223 wrote: Insured up to 100
Do people put more >100k? Or not risk it. I would like to hear from people who’ve done this. Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
7055 posts
4498 upvotes
Jumanji12 wrote: Do people put more >100k? Or not risk it. I would like to hear from people who’ve done this. Thanks
We have more but never locked, just in HISA so we can act when things don’t look good
[OP]
Penalty Box
Nov 21, 2013
8128 posts
9301 upvotes
Montréal
Jumanji12 wrote: it a good idea to drop a big sum for this promo? I think it’s insured up to 100k protection
Insured Up to $100K. And no risk, since GIC's are guaranteed investments. But I would not put a sum that big in a GIC. Having much to invest, I'd mix with other investment levels. Time to buy ETF, mutual funds, shares, this all depending on your risk tolerance
Aug 5, 2017
481 posts
488 upvotes
mkl38s wrote: We have more but never locked, just in HISA so we can act when things don’t look good
What
Nov 28, 2021
7 posts
3 upvotes
DoorCrasher wrote: This. Bank of Canada have to find a balance between inflation and recession....
They will, maybe end of the year, but if you follow financials they aren't done yet. Inflation is still too high and demand hasn't slowed enough. If you are in a variable I'd get a rate lock from your bank/mortgage broker. Gives you a 120 day buffer. Expect another rate increase 0.75 +/- 0.25 depending on the economy data points released between now and then.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2008
1318 posts
304 upvotes
Jumanji12 wrote: Do people put more >100k? Or not risk it. I would like to hear from people who’ve done this. Thanks
I did but I am planning on retiring in 18 months so for me GIC makes sense. I will revaluate the market at 3 months and decide if I will go 12 months or move $$ somewhere else
Nov 28, 2021
7 posts
3 upvotes
weedb0y wrote: Economy is too fragile at the moment. Not sure if we are going to see another .75. Too many variable mortgages out there, including myself.
Doesn't hurt to get a rate lock through bank or mortgage broker. Gives you 120 days to decide.
Oct 25, 2014
282 posts
243 upvotes
Boswell, BC
DoorCrasher wrote: A Kleenex is not a Kleenex, it's a facial tissue. But everyone understands what's a Kleenex. 🤦
Sure, and in your analogy you asked if you were wrong to call a paper towel a Kleenex. In recent years the specific meaning of "e-Transfer" has really become understood in the common usage. I rarely come across any marketplace buyer/sellers (Craigslist, Kijiji etc) anymore that don't know exactly what it means, even among seniors. I'm seeing more and more small businesses take or request it for payment.

At least among Canadians. I had an online customer yesterday in the US say he "didn't know what an e-transfer was", and asked if he could Venmo me. Spouse didn't know what that was.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Nov 21, 2013
8128 posts
9301 upvotes
Montréal
jblade44 wrote: I did but I am planning on retiring in 18 months so for me GIC makes sense. I will revaluate the market at 3 months and decide if I will go 12 months or move $$ somewhere else
This is one if the reasons / situation where a GIC is a good investment product. Again, as repeated multiple times through the thread, those who downvoted for "bad Product/service" should take into consideration that people's situation could be different from one to the other.

Congratulations and happy retirement.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2012
1146 posts
343 upvotes
TORONTO
jblade44 wrote: I do not see the RBC 90 3.2% day rate posted just the 4% 1 yr rate. ? Is that something you need to call in the an RBC adviser to get? All my $$ is in RBC now so that would be ideal for me to go 90 days and then go to 1 yr if rate jumps to 5% in fall.
Call your FP, it just posted on Wednesday internal. It should be posted by now.
I renewed 4 of them. Thanks.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Nov 21, 2013
8128 posts
9301 upvotes
Montréal
emma30 wrote: Sure, and in your analogy you asked if you were wrong to call a paper towel a Kleenex. In recent years the specific meaning of "e-Transfer" has really become understood in the common usage. I rarely come across any marketplace buyer/sellers (Craigslist, Kijiji etc) anymore that don't know exactly what it means, even among seniors. I'm seeing more and more small businesses take or request it for payment.

At least among Canadians. I had an online customer yesterday in the US say he "didn't know what an e-transfer was", and asked if he could Venmo me. Spouse didn't know what that was.
An e transfer, at least to me and possibly the one who asked the question, is an electronic transfer. Nothing to do with a trademark whatsoever. It's a way to transfer money, wether it's via Interac company, or directly between 2 financial institutions without going through the Interac network. He asked the transfer limit between two accounts, not between 2 persons...
Oct 30, 2018
324 posts
337 upvotes
jblade44 wrote: I do not see the RBC 90 3.2% day rate posted just the 4% 1 yr rate. ? Is that something you need to call in the an RBC adviser to get? All my $$ is in RBC now so that would be ideal for me to go 90 days and then go to 1 yr if rate jumps to 5% in fall.
I'm not even seeing that! I see 1.5% for 3 months and 2% for 1 year. Where are you looking? Thanks!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38242 posts
24427 upvotes
Center of Universe
Longprocess wrote: I'm not even seeing that! I see 1.5% for 3 months and 2% for 1 year. Where are you looking? Thanks!
I see 4.25% for 1yr registered GICs.
May 7, 2017
394 posts
210 upvotes
Locked in last week for 270 days/3.5%, sigh.

Oh well, at least there will still be a gain at the end of the 270 days. Lol.

Thank you for the information, OP!
Jul 21, 2022
31 posts
33 upvotes
I need a a second opinion....
I basically have the majority of my TFSA in EQBank... I've been debating locking in at 1 year for 4.35%
But also want to respect the value of liquid money, and potentially want to lock in 6 months at 4.00% with tangerine...
But the time between the funds transferring out to tangerine could take some time, and eat in the value?

Does anyone have experience with EQBank transfers? Especially out to tangerine? I've heard word it could take weeks.