Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Tangerine

1 year non registered GIC at 4.85%, (not targeted offer, open to everyone, new or actual clients)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2022 12:33 am
Dec 12, 2019
828 posts
631 upvotes
muffin4life wrote: Not likely. Tangerine is not considered part of the Big 5.
They won’t budge at all? I saw RBC did 5% which wasn’t advertised rate. I wonder if TD does the same.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
4981 posts
4421 upvotes
xxxibgdrgn wrote: They won’t budge at all? I saw RBC did 5% which wasn’t advertised rate. I wonder if TD does the same.
Doesn't hurt to ask... You will have better luck if you have personal banker
Aug 18, 2016
56 posts
69 upvotes
muffin4life wrote: Not likely. Tangerine is not considered part of the Big 5.
Tangerine= ING bank buy by Scotia. It’s like Fido with rogers or virgin with bell
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
4981 posts
4421 upvotes
AlexandreS928608 wrote: Tangerine= ING bank buy by Scotia. It’s like Fido with rogers or virgin with bell
Correct. And do you usually see the cell phone players matching the smaller (owned by the big 3) cell phone plans?

Usually not... My point is exactly this ...
[OP]
Penalty Box
Nov 21, 2013
8128 posts
9301 upvotes
Montréal
xxxibgdrgn wrote: Will banks like TD match the rate at all?
xxxibgdrgn wrote: They won’t budge at all? I saw RBC did 5% which wasn’t advertised rate. I wonder if TD does the same.
you would have better luck asking them, not asking us, on this anonymous forum. It costs nothing to call them in, or meet them in person. They will possibly match if you have multiple products with them, to keep your business and make you happy
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2018
1126 posts
726 upvotes
Badbrad wrote: Definite negative ROI
Do you have anything that is still positive ROI?
Oct 13, 2016
578 posts
701 upvotes
In a galaxy far far …
keshan wrote: Do you have anything that is still positive ROI?
It was just a statement... GICs are an important component of a portfolio but so are Canadian dividends.

Enbridge was quite reasonable shift and a pleasant tax efficient dividend at 6.4%.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1700 posts
1162 upvotes
Manitoba
I have some money that I am thinking of putting into a GIC, just wanted some input on which one is the better pick given the current situation?

USD 1-year GIC @4%
CAD 1-year GIC @4.85%

I am tempted to convert the USD to CAD as the EXH rate right now is good and CAD will be a bit more flexible to use down the road (invest, GIC, pay mortgage).
[OP]
Penalty Box
Nov 21, 2013
8128 posts
9301 upvotes
Montréal
Badbrad wrote: It was just a statement... GICs are an important component of a portfolio but so are Canadian dividends.

Enbridge was quite reasonable shift and a pleasant tax efficient dividend at 6.4%.
The key word? Diversification. It's Time to buy share and common funds (not all are actually good with the actual situation) but those who downvoted for bad product/service just don't know what they talk about, especially at 4.85% for 1 year
Oct 13, 2016
578 posts
701 upvotes
In a galaxy far far …
DoorCrasher wrote: The key word? Diversification. It's Time to buy share and common funds (not all are actually good with the actual situation) but those who downvoted for bad product/service just don't know what they talk about, especially at 4.85% for 1 year
People can vote up or down as they want. And you can insult them as you want. It is RFD - we expect nothing less.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Nov 21, 2013
8128 posts
9301 upvotes
Montréal
Badbrad wrote: People can vote up or down as they want. And you can insult them as you want. It is RFD - we expect nothing less.
first, nowhere I insulted another member. If anyone here feel insulted because of a comment I made then I am sincerely sorry.

Second, yes, people can up or down vote as they wish, as they feel. But if we want to keep the voting system, threads and posts constructive then everyone should be honest. But I know that unicorns just don't exists....

What I am saying, it's GIC's are not a bad product/service, it all depends on one's needs, objectives, tolerance to risk, etc. By eg. if I know that I will need a certain amount of cash not before the next few months, it's not bad idea to put this $$ in a guaranteed investment level like a GIC, instead of letting this cash sit in a HISA at less than 2%. But, if you prefer, you can just let sit your cash under your mattress, it's up to you
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2006
1602 posts
156 upvotes
DoorCrasher wrote: first, nowhere I insulted another member. If anyone here feel insulted because of a comment I made then I am sincerely sorry.

Second, yes, people can up or down vote as they wish, as they feel. But if we want to keep the voting system, threads and posts constructive then everyone should be honest. But I know that unicorns just don't exists....

What I am saying, it's GIC's are not a bad product/service, it all depends on one's needs, objectives, tolerance to risk, etc. By eg. if I know that I will need a certain amount of cash not before the next few months, it's not bad idea to put this $$ in a guaranteed investment level like a GIC, instead of letting this cash sit in a HISA at less than 2%. But, if you prefer, you can just let sit your cash under your mattress, it's up to you
I totally agree with you. One thing I have learned with our current economic situation is GIC's is a great way to also diversify. If somehow the market tanks much more in 2023. People using GIC's are going to be glad they did and didn't lose out on funds they may need within the next year or 2.

I rather have options than no or fewer options.
Once my dog ate all the Scrabble tiles. For days he kept leaving little messages around the house..........