2.80% until August 31 - YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 8:21 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7159 posts
3625 upvotes
West GTEH!
bylo wrote: In order to try to reverse-engineer their algorithm can you post roughly how much money you have on deposit (e.g. <$50k, <$100k, >$100k, >$200k)?
775681 wrote:
It's >$200k :)
bylo wrote: Thanks. Same here.

My working hypothesis is that Outbound offers retention rates to "high rollers" because they otherwise have to attract dozens, if not 100s, of new customers to replace the cash that EFTs out the door when our promos end.

Also the 2.25% to keep us is less than the 2.8% they're paying for new money.
got-cookie wrote: How are you guys getting in touch with outbound marketing? I called CSR twice and both times, neither rep would be willing to transfer me to any retention or marking team :(
bylo wrote: Perhaps there's a minimum amount you need to have on deposit before the Outbound folks will get involved. In my case there was more than the CDIC maximum on the table.

One tactic you could use is to call the regular number and ask them to schedule moving all your money out on Fri or Mon. Then ask them to have Outbound call you. Maybe your willingness to move everything out will "encourage" them. If Outbound calls and makes you an acceptable offer they can also cancel the move transaction. (I have no idea if this sort of tactic works, so if you try it perhaps you can come back and let us know how it went.)
IMO, at the end of the day it's still a Lottery on who receives these "Special Interest Promos" from the Outbound/Marketing Team (as TING refers).
Whether you have a lot of $$$ on Deposit or you move everything out, nobody knows if you'll get the Promotions.

I've had over 100K in deposit and NEVER had date extensions. Only when I move everything out a few months down the road, I MIGHT get another promo.
😎
Dec 8, 2014
349 posts
285 upvotes
Calgary, AB
What’s the number to call? And what are the keypad shortcuts to talk to someone? It used to be 1,1 but seems like options have chsnged
Feb 8, 2017
466 posts
349 upvotes
My last offer ended at the end of May and still no new one. Anyone get an offer in June yet? I tried calling and they said no dice.

Where do I put my next house down payment now? Maybe just buy a bond ETF?
Dec 29, 2006
166 posts
154 upvotes
When we say move all the balance out before the promo ends and wait for a new promo.. do we actually mean move it out from Tangerine to another bank? Or we can keep it in Tangerine's chequing account and wait?
Thanks.
Apr 24, 2013
706 posts
414 upvotes
Waterloo
Guys, is there a no fee way to transfer money from a chequing account at TD to lets say Savings account on TNG?
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2006
2101 posts
231 upvotes
OTTAWA, Canada
nimfomanijak wrote: Guys, is there a no fee way to transfer money from a chequing account at TD to lets say Savings account on TNG?
On tangerine you just add TD as an external account and then do the transfer once you get the verification step done.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7646 posts
1118 upvotes
GTA
I don't usually contact them if they don't send me an offer but my last offer ended at the end of May and there wasn't a new offer. I used the chat yesterday and they offered 2.25% for 90 days
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2015
1067 posts
722 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Tried chatting with them and they said no promos at this time. Check later for insights. Transfer out initiated lol.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7646 posts
1118 upvotes
GTA
Piklishi wrote: Tried chatting with them and they said no promos at this time. Check later for insights. Transfer out initiated lol.
I started the chat with mentioning the transfer. I said if there isn't a promo available could you please arrange a transfer out for me as it above the daily allowed limit to do it myself
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
8728 posts
2144 upvotes
Mont-Royal
bylo wrote: That's been my logic as well. However it's preferable to have the excess in HISA so that you can yank it out at the first hint of trouble. You can't do that with GICs. (I see you've said that later.)

Me too. I was able to deal with the issue by adding a joint owner to the GIC that put me over the CDIC maximum. To Oaken's credit they let me do that even though that GIC had been in force for a couple of years at the time. I FedExed them the paperwork and got it done within a couple of days of the news breaking. Whew!

Also with Oaken it's worth noting that they have two banking entities that issue their GICs, Home Trust and Home Bank. You can designate which one you want when you buy a GIC. So you can have $100k with HT and another with HB. Your spouse can do likewise. And the two of you can do it a third time with joint ownership. So a couple can have $600k at Oaken, all CDIC insured.
what happened with oaken?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25126 posts
21562 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
L4cky wrote: what happened with oaken?
Google "Home Trust OSC"
veni, vidi, Visa
Dec 3, 2006
491 posts
286 upvotes
Craven
I had closed my account in November but called in today to see if I could get the 2.8%.

Couldn't get that but was offered 2.25% for 90 days which I accepted. Was encouraged to call in towards the end of the 90 days to inquire about further offers.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
8728 posts
2144 upvotes
Mont-Royal
bylo wrote: Google "Home Trust OSC"
is it save now? i mean i googe and it was on 2017
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
1422 posts
121 upvotes
My current offer of 2.75% ends on June 30.

Is it worth transfering out on the last day in case a new promo starts on July 1st, or is it unlikely?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25126 posts
21562 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
L4cky wrote: is it save now? i mean i googe and it was on 2017
If you're within the CDIC limits then it was always safe and continues to be safe. And because they have two separate CDIC-insured entities, Home Trust and Home Bank, you can even save double the bucks for your bang ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
8728 posts
2144 upvotes
Mont-Royal
bylo wrote: If you're within the CDIC limits then it was always safe and continues to be safe. And because they have two separate CDIC-insured entities, Home Trust and Home Bank, you can even save double the bucks for your bang ;)
Yeah I know. But some ares till worried even with cdic. Especially registered accounts, it is said it could take weeks to get back the money rather than 3 days for savings or chequing acc.

I wonder if cdic covers the interests.
- Training 101
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25126 posts
21562 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
L4cky wrote: Yeah I know. But some ares till worried even with cdic.
Especially when people spread FUD about this.
Especially registered accounts, it is said it could take weeks to get back the money rather than 3 days for savings or chequing acc.
1. "It is said" sounds like Fox News. Said by whom?
2. Even if true--and it's not[see below]--it's totally irrelevant. RRSPs are long term retirement savings vehicles. People don't cash them out at the drop of a hat like they might with HISAs. So what if it takes a bit longer make an RRSP account whole?
3. RRSPs are long term retirement savings vehicles. They're far more likely to hold GICs than cash. Those GICs aren't cashable until maturity. That could be as much as 5 years from now. So again, where's the rush to make an RRSP account whole?
I wonder if cdic covers the interests.
Instead of wondering and posting speculation that's totally false, I encourage you to spend a few minutes exploring CDIC's website. In particular:
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
8728 posts
2144 upvotes
Mont-Royal
bylo wrote: Especially when people spread FUD about this.
1. "It is said" sounds like Fox News. Said by whom?
2. Even if true--and it's not[see below]--it's totally irrelevant. RRSPs are long term retirement savings vehicles. People don't cash them out at the drop of a hat like they might with HISAs. So what if it takes a bit longer make an RRSP account whole?
3. RRSPs are long term retirement savings vehicles. They're far more likely to hold GICs than cash. Those GICs aren't cashable until maturity. That could be as much as 5 years from now. So again, where's the rush to make an RRSP account whole?

Instead of wondering and posting speculation that's totally false, I encourage you to spend a few minutes exploring CDIC's website. In particular:
i read it online in a financial website for the registrered savings.

do you know the interest in a gic, is it the interest until the date the bank bankruped or ? cuz i think gic interest arent paid until maturity?
- Training 101
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25126 posts
21562 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
L4cky wrote: i read it online in a financial website for the registrered savings.
Well I'm telling you "online" on this "financial website" that their information is bogus.
do you know the interest in a gic, is it the interest until the date the bank bankruped or ? cuz i think gic interest arent paid until maturity?
It depends on the GIC. Some pay interest monthly. Some pay annually. Some pay only at maturity. In any case CDIC says you're covered "including interest." If you require more details on what that means, i.e. if it covers interest that accrues after the institution fails, the contact CDIC. They'll give you more credible information than I can, let alone that other "financial website" ;)
veni, vidi, Visa