2.80% until August 31 - YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 8:21 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2011
5776 posts
3923 upvotes
Toronto and London
LarryT778370 wrote: Was able to get 2.25% for 90 days in live chat. Only took me 2 mins. My balance is around 50k. So i guess you don't need 6 figures.
They have live chat? Thought they only had Chatbot?
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2015
2396 posts
2286 upvotes
Province of Bring Ca…
Just got off from online chat. I believe I met an NPC....kept saying “There’s no promo available for you”
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2015
2396 posts
2286 upvotes
Province of Bring Ca…
They hide it.

Go to contact page and find chat.
RiftOfChaos wrote: They have live chat? Thought they only had Chatbot?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
6704 posts
3840 upvotes
misterlamed wrote: Here’s how it works:

We totalled up the balances of your eligible Savings, TFSA, RSP Savings, and US$ Savings Account(s) as they were on November 4, 2019 to get your total balances per Account Type
From November 5, 2019 to July 31, 2020, you’ll earn your special interest rate on new deposits over your total balances calculated on November 4, 2019 (up to $1,000,000† per Account Type)
The rest of your Account balance will earn the current posted rate

So according to this does that mean its not taking into account my balances from lets say June 2020? o.o
It pays the bonus interest on new deposits only, I.e. the difference between the balance on Nov. 4 and current difference.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
6704 posts
3840 upvotes
naticom wrote: They hide it.

Go to contact page and find chat.
They probably don’t want customers to use live chat immediately. So they make it hard to find and make chat bot easy to find.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
6704 posts
3840 upvotes
happy camper wrote: I have the 2.80% promo on all HISA, TFSA, RSP US $ accounts until Aug. 31. Have a TFSA GIC expiring tomorrow and was thinking of taking from TFSA and putting in HISA. Would this count as new money deposit for HISA as it is a different type of account...the way I read the legal stuff it would seem to work. I would not be closing out TFSA, just a transfer to HISA which I would have to leave there until Jan 2021 to reinvest in a TFSA.
If the T &C of your offer says they would add up the balances in your savings, TFSA, etc. on the cut off date like the other poster misterlamed shows, then you won’t get the bonus rate.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8978 posts
1917 upvotes
happy camper wrote: I have the 2.80% promo on all HISA, TFSA, RSP US $ accounts until Aug. 31. Have a TFSA GIC expiring tomorrow and was thinking of taking from TFSA and putting in HISA. Would this count as new money deposit for HISA as it is a different type of account...the way I read the legal stuff it would seem to work. I would not be closing out TFSA, just a transfer to HISA which I would have to leave there until Jan 2021 to reinvest in a TFSA.
I'm pretty sure they don't include gics in the balance calculation and you should be fine to do this. It's only the balances that you have in their day to day savings products that matter. However, as the other poster had mentioned the terms and conditions has the final say.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1845 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto
Got offered 2.25% for 90 days as well. Previously had 2.85% which expired yesterday
Jun 15, 2018
409 posts
1782 upvotes
Toronto
I moved out $300k and they still didn't offer me anything, even after I mentioned the 2.25% for 90 days promotion.
Jan 26, 2014
297 posts
348 upvotes
killoverme wrote: I got nothing -_-
Same. Good to see Tangerine hasn't changed. Some people get... some don't. Or the agent I had was useless.

He was typing a response to my complaint, closed the chat and transferred my money before he even finished. Wasn't interested in their excuses. Everytime these promo's come around it seems to be a random who gets it game.
Aug 15, 2018
267 posts
575 upvotes
My 2.75% interest rate expired yesterday. Tried calling them and using live chat and they keep telling me no promotions are available on your account. I mentioned that EQ bank was offering 2% and their parent company Scotiabank was offering 2.7% for new customers and they were not willing to match. I mentioned that I will be moving my money out and they didn’t even try to lure me back Pouting Face
Sep 22, 2009
902 posts
180 upvotes
AndrewT5406 wrote: My 2.75% interest rate expired yesterday. Tried calling them and using live chat and they keep telling me no promotions are available on your account. I mentioned that EQ bank was offering 2% and their parent company Scotiabank was offering 2.7% for new customers and they were not willing to match. I mentioned that I will be moving my money out and they didn’t even try to lure me back Pouting Face
Tangerine is (well) known to neglect its current customers to chase after new ones. This is not unusual.
Jan 8, 2008
347 posts
118 upvotes
YYC
My 2.75% expired. I called them to ask how much I could transfer out in one shot? They said hold on and offered the 2.25%. I told them to stick it. I mentioned my wife is getting 2.8%. What if I could offer 2.5% would you take that? Nope. She then said one of our team members maybe able to give you a better rate if you want them to call you. OK, two days later, the team member offers the 2.25% again. I said "hey that is worse than the 2.5% your rep offered earlier?" Oh the notes show 2.25%. Well then, I guess I must be a liar then. OK 2.8% or I am taking it elsewhere. They don't budge, elsewhere it is. I'll leave a nickle balance and they will offer me something better in 30days time. Just like last time their special promo interest expired. It's a tired game.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
2951 posts
1366 upvotes
Markham
Got offered 1.85% through insight, what a joke, money out
Not buying something on sale ISN'T a crime, buying something not on sale IS.
Sep 18, 2017
760 posts
1193 upvotes
Vancouver
Here's another DP

Had 30k in my savings and they offered nothing when I called so I moved it all out to EQ for the 2%
May 29, 2008
591 posts
985 upvotes
Halifax, NS
I used live chat yesterday, asked for a higher rate and got 2.25% for 90 days.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2015
1501 posts
482 upvotes
Frugal_in_Halifax wrote: I used live chat yesterday, asked for a higher rate and got 2.25% for 90 days.
Did you have money in savings account when you asked for higher rate? Or was it almost $0
May 29, 2008
591 posts
985 upvotes
Halifax, NS
wra45mon wrote: Did you have money in savings account when you asked for higher rate? Or was it almost $0
I had cash in savings.