Personal Finance

Tangerine 2-FA is Here

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2023 9:35 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2018
1564 posts
1030 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: The 2FA option is right there in my account.
Click on your name at the top right. Then click on "Security & Login". Scroll down and I see the item for "2-Step Authentication".
I don't have "Security & Login" when I click my name at the top right. I have Profile & Settings, Devices, Documents, Forms, Log Out.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
bobohobo2kx wrote: I don't have "Security & Login" when I click my name at the top right. I have Profile & Settings, Devices, Documents, Forms, Log Out.
Are you on mobile? My instructions are from a desktop browser environment. Firefox browser.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2018
1564 posts
1030 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: Are you on mobile? My instructions are from a desktop browser environment. Firefox browser.
I was on desktop using Chrome. Can you take a screenshot of what you see when you click your name?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
bobohobo2kx wrote: I was on desktop using Chrome. Can you take a screenshot of what you see when you click your name?
Screenshot:

- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3692 posts
4307 upvotes
jeff1970 wrote: Got the email today; went to set it up, but never got the SMS (I asked them to send it out like 5 times over a period of 15 minutes). I closed downed the app, and when I restarted it, option was no longer there. I want 2-FA but if they have a difficult sending out an SMS then that's an issue.
Yeah, that would be a huge turn off for me. I've been using their 2-FA for many months now and it sends the texts accurately with no delay.
For Sale:
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2018
1564 posts
1030 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: Screenshot:

Thanks, so I don't have that option when I click my name. I called Tangerine twice and both times they claimed this is a "targeted" feature and you have to be selected by the campaign to enroll in 2FA. But I was able to find them advertising it on their website which makes me skeptical. Usually experimental, or targeted features are not openly advertised like this. So I'm wondering if anyone else also do not have the 2FA option like me.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
bobohobo2kx wrote: Thanks, so I don't have that option when I click my name. I called Tangerine twice and both times they claimed this is a "targeted" feature and you have to be selected by the campaign to enroll in 2FA. But I was able to find them advertising it on their website which makes me skeptical. Usually experimental, or targeted features are not openly advertised like this. So I'm wondering if anyone else also do not have the 2FA option like me.
Tbh, I suspect this is just a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. I saw the same thing with 2FA being advertised on another site. I questioned it, and they removed the advertising.
- casual gastronomist -
Mar 21, 2020
20 posts
6 upvotes
Québec
Is there a way to disable the 2FA authentication? I've juste enabled it to test it but for now, I prefer the secret question protection.

On the website, I don't see where I can disable it.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
3444 posts
2672 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Tangerine now can be configured to make voice calls for 2FA (previously it was only text messages which I couldn't do since it wouldn't accept a US cellphone number).

I tried the 2FA as a voice call and don't understand why their automated system says the first set of numbers so fast... I'm not sure how many people are capable of getting those numbers the first time the automated system speaks it. I always have to wait for it to repeat the numbers in a slower rate.
Sep 2, 2013
9 posts
9 upvotes
It won’t even work for my number. I have a US number that it won’t accept (says “please enter valid Canadian number”). I did keep my old Canadian number active in a VOIP account, but when I use that number the SMS just never comes (tho calls do). So stupid. I might have to leave Tangerine over this, there is no way I am taking a 2FA phone call every time I want to check my account.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
unobtainium1 wrote: It won’t even work for my number. I have a US number that it won’t accept (says “please enter valid Canadian number”). I did keep my old Canadian number active in a VOIP account, but when I use that number the SMS just never comes (tho calls do). So stupid. I might have to leave Tangerine over this, there is no way I am taking a 2FA phone call every time I want to check my account.
You don't have to use Tangerine 2fa... we continued using old method of question, answer and then pin.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Oct 8, 2006
679 posts
505 upvotes
Okanagan Valley
georvu wrote: You don't have to use Tangerine 2fa... we continued using old method of question, answer and then pin.
I think our days may be numbered….I got email today saying action required as 2FA will be mandatory shortly.Face Screaming In Fear
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
happy camper wrote: I think our days may be numbered….I got email today saying action required as 2FA will be mandatory shortly.Face Screaming In Fear
Aaarrggghhhhh!!!!!!!

Did they give exact date?
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Oct 8, 2006
679 posts
505 upvotes
Okanagan Valley
georvu wrote: Aaarrggghhhhh!!!!!!!

Did they give exact date?
no date - here's extract from email -
"Protect your banking with 2-Step Authentication - 2-Step Authentication is about to be a required enhanced security measure for your banking.
Don’t delay, please take a few minutes to set it up today"
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
happy camper wrote: no date - here's extract from email -
"Protect your banking with 2-Step Authentication - 2-Step Authentication is about to be a required enhanced security measure for your banking.
Don’t delay, please take a few minutes to set it up today"
No one in family has gotten that email so perhaps it's a slow roll out just like they have done in past.
Thanks.
Oct 8, 2006
679 posts
505 upvotes
Okanagan Valley
georvu wrote: No one in family has gotten that email so perhaps it's a slow roll out just like they have done in past.
Thanks.
Just an update - they forced me into 2FA on my spouses account today....no option to get out of....I signed in via the website... you might be ok where u use the app and have touch id set up on your iphone or ipad. I was however, able to juggle phone numbers around on spouses account to have my Fongo number utilized as primary number (home) which they call not text...this is voip service...is necessary for us as we are away for 5-6 months over the winter in Mexico
Jul 16, 2006
139 posts
62 upvotes
Quebec City
I also received the e-mail, and was delaying as much as possible enabling the 2FA as I’m using long random security question answers as passwords, and it’s being forced on my account today…

Big step back… I’d love to be able to use a Yubikey (FIDO2) instead.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
So I got the email and just tried to enroll in 2FA.

1. TING's 2FA system accepts my Canadian number (VoIP via voip.ms) but apparently their SMS doesn't reach my VoIP number. (Interestingly that number and 2FA SMS works with Scotia, et al big-5 plus several online HISA banks...)

2. It won't even accept my US number (VoIP via Google Voice) never mind send 2FA SMS to it.

I've been on the phone with TING for about an hour now. None of the three people (so far) I've spoken with even know what VoIP is, never mind can confirm whether or not they support it.

Moreover it seems it's never occurred to the geniuses at TING that their customers might travel out of Canada and want to access/authenticate their accounts from there. Otherwise those geniuses would understand why people get VoIP numbers in the first place.

IMO it's both unacceptable (to me) and embarrassing (to TING) that they support neither VoIP nor US phone numbers.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
bylo wrote: So I got the email and just tried to enroll in 2FA.

1. TING's 2FA system accepts my Canadian number (VoIP via voip.ms) but apparently their SMS doesn't reach my VoIP number. (Interestingly that number and 2FA SMS works with Scotia, et al big-5 plus several online HISA banks...)

2. It won't even accept my US number (VoIP via Google Voice) never mind send 2FA SMS to it.

I've been on the phone with TING for about an hour now. None of the three people (so far) I've spoken with even know what VoIP is, never mind can confirm whether or not they support it.

Moreover it seems it's never occurred to the geniuses at TING that their customers might travel out of Canada and want to access/authenticate their accounts from there. Otherwise those geniuses would understand why people get VoIP numbers in the first place.

IMO it's both unacceptable (to me) and embarrassing (to TING) that they support neither VoIP nor US phone numbers.
Got emails today as well for some accounts.

Yet to set up... guess will use mobile # and hope they eventually upgrade to token.

For your voip do they give option of voice call vs text? Guess you already tried in settings to fwd from voip to another number?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)