Hot Deals

[Tangerine] 2 Tangerine Credit Cards - $100 Giftcard, No Fees!

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2021 12:50 pm
[OP]
Aug 11, 2011
417 posts
532 upvotes
Toronto

[Tangerine] 2 Tangerine Credit Cards - $100 Giftcard, No Fees!

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Tangerine
More offers from Tangerine
Don't see $100 GC with Tangerine anywhere else. If you are in the market for a new card ;)

Some details -
Earn 2% Money-Back Rewards on purchases in up to three categories of your choice, and 0.50% Money-Back Rewards on all other purchases.
No annual fees
Egift cards are for - Amazon and Bestbuy

not sure when deal ends.
Images
  • categories.jpg
Last edited by MikeTO2 on Mar 5th, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
452 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6774 posts
2745 upvotes
Montreal
If I already have the Money-Back card, can I apply for the World Mastercard and get the gift card?
Nov 22, 2004
606 posts
1934 upvotes
Madevilz wrote: If I already have the Money-Back card, can I apply for the World Mastercard and get the gift card?
Just applied via the site, and was upgraded to the World Mastercard (therefore, you can't have both cards at the same time). Got a confirmation email of my card approval from Tangerine as well. Not sure yet if I'm gonna get the gift card, but so far no issues yet.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2007
1232 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
I just applied for the world mastercard a couple weeks ago, can I get the gift card retroactively?
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
14738 posts
3750 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
mwatcher wrote: Just applied via the site, and was upgraded to the World Mastercard (therefore, you can't have both cards at the same time). Got a confirmation email of my card approval from Tangerine as well. Not sure yet if I'm gonna get the gift card, but so far no issues yet.
From Rate.ca? Or Tangerine? Cus Tangerine has been trying to get me to World ever since they released it but I declined lol.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2369 posts
3239 upvotes
Would any of those reading this who already have the card care to comment on whether Costco can be classified under a category as a 2% earn?
Feb 14, 2018
352 posts
252 upvotes
mwatcher wrote: Just applied via the site, and was upgraded to the World Mastercard (therefore, you can't have both cards at the same time). Got a confirmation email of my card approval from Tangerine as well. Not sure yet if I'm gonna get the gift card, but so far no issues yet.
Let us know if you get it.
Jun 16, 2017
83 posts
36 upvotes
13inches wrote: Would any of those reading this who already have the card care to comment on whether Costco can be classified under a category as a 2% earn?
Would be nice but no
Sep 10, 2018
255 posts
1314 upvotes
Do I care?
13inches wrote: Would any of those reading this who already have the card care to comment on whether Costco can be classified under a category as a 2% earn?
As far as I know none of grocery boost cards classify costco as grocery. That's why I'm moving onto this card from PCWE. A lot of us are getting kicked off due to no $15K spending.

I get 70% of food at Costco so there's no card for that - I was using Capital One 2% until they changed fee. Since there's no travel, it's not worth getting any fee cards.

By the way, I applied 2 days ago and it's already showing "approved" on the rates.ca so all seems good.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1821 posts
10361 upvotes
That categorization is done by Mastercard/Visa/Amex, not the financial issuer of the card.

There's no such thing as a MC that classifies Costco as "grocery".
May 2, 2017
995 posts
1907 upvotes
s'toon
ty OP, just hope they had better WE MC options with annual fees and perks so I can keep only this one.
have been with them since ING.

IIRC costco and Walmart do not count as grocery stores - only sobeys, save-on, nofrills, pure-grocery stuff and the like.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
2267 posts
461 upvotes
York
Seanne wrote: ty OP, just hope they had better WE MC options with annual fees and perks so I can keep only this one.

IIRC costco and Walmart do not count as grocery stores - only sobeys, save-on, nofrills, pure-grocery stuff and the like.
Walmart SS is considered grocery on Mastercards FYI.
"It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success."
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11721 posts
1600 upvotes
Seanne wrote: ty OP, just hope they had better WE MC options with annual fees and perks so I can keep only this one.

Long time ago Walmart supercenters did count as grocery. Haven't bothered following this for many years though so maybe its changed.
Mar 12, 2017
428 posts
306 upvotes
Leverage wrote: That categorization is done by Mastercard/Visa/Amex, not the financial issuer of the card.

There's no such thing as a MC that classifies Costco as "grocery".
Do they consider Costco Gas as "Gas" at least?
May 2, 2017
995 posts
1907 upvotes
s'toon
The Destroyer wrote: Walmart SS is considered grocery on Mastercards FYI.
cool! at one point I stopped spending major groceries at WM because I saw a Walmart purchase as non-grocery, so this is news to me.
maybe it was AMEX or VISA? idk
Jul 7, 2014
225 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Unfortunately no. But Costco gas nets you 2% cashback so a partial win?
Dec 15, 2019
506 posts
1516 upvotes
Markham
would amazon count as any of those categories Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
8202 posts
578 upvotes
Would be nice if there is a category for Walmart and Amazon.
October 2015 for sale, PM for details!
PS3 EA Sports Active 2 $20
195-65-15 Winter tire with alloy wheel $500
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
9665 posts
2318 upvotes
Montreal
elty wrote: Would be nice if there is a category for Walmart and Amazon.
Amazon has it's own cash back credit card for that, you wouldn't believe how many "cash back" Amazon gift cards I've gotten since the "Crap hit the fan" in 2020.

Walmart also has their own cash back credit card.
Last edited by yuprules on Mar 5th, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.