[Tangerine] $50 bonus + $24 GCR rebate when signing up for new Account

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2017 11:57 am
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2012
1103 posts
853 upvotes
Richmond Hill
My experience with ing/tangerine was that its easy to set up accounts, but very annoying trying to close/transfer out money when you don't want to deal with them again.

They did the paypal thing of transferring a few cents, then a week later finally sending the balance, even having a bank associate assist was still such a hassle.
Feb 11, 2017
50 posts
27 upvotes
Lindsay, Ontario
brucele wrote: Yes I got the $50 tangerine bonus and $24 GCR rebate posted to my accounts.
How long did it take for the rebate to be posted on GCR?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2002
3500 posts
215 upvotes
Newfoundland (Former…
Was just wondering, can I open an account for my daughter and still take adavantage of all the bonus? My daughter is less than a year old.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6120 posts
2070 upvotes
Montreal
Jeff146 wrote: Was just wondering, can I open an account for my daughter and still take adavantage of all the bonus? My daughter is less than a year old.
No, I believe the minimum age requirement for a separate account is 12 years old. You can open a children's account for someone younger but it is tied to your own account.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2013
3292 posts
1847 upvotes
YUL/YVR
on GCR's website, are you going for the Chequeing or Saving account?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2002
1282 posts
538 upvotes
Vancouver
AdamKing wrote: on GCR's website, are you going for the Chequeing or Saving account?
Doesnt matter. Either one will get you $24
Banned
Feb 8, 2017
54 posts
31 upvotes
I keep trying to get my sister to sign up, but she's just SOOOOO apathetic. She literally doesn't mind the big bank nickel and diming her every month with fees. Frustration to the MAX!

Now if she refuses this deal, with an extra $50 for the both of us through my referal, I'll literally go into cardiac arrest.
Jun 9, 2015
190 posts
74 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
NCT127 wrote: I keep trying to get my sister to sign up, but she's just SOOOOO apathetic. She literally doesn't mind the big bank nickel and diming her every month with fees. Frustration to the MAX!

Now if she refuses this deal, with an extra $50 for the both of us through my referal, I'll literally go into cardiac arrest.
I understand it's quite tough to convince people who are so habituated to conventional physical banking model.
Dec 21, 2014
260 posts
156 upvotes
Vancouver
I signed up a few weeks ago and there wasn't a credit check according to my equifax. I didn't get any overdraft protection as far as I know.
Mar 18, 2007
196 posts
24 upvotes
NCT127 wrote: I keep trying to get my sister to sign up, but she's just SOOOOO apathetic. She literally doesn't mind the big bank nickel and diming her every month with fees. Frustration to the MAX!

I know someone exactly like that - Deposit $100 and they give you $50 for FREE.... well i don't knooowww.... talk about lazy. $50 for 5 minutes of your time. I don't know about any of you guys, but I certainly don't make $10 (after tax) per minute!
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2015
1941 posts
1477 upvotes
Toronto, ON
GCR starts to give cash back on opening chequing account? wow
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2014
5398 posts
2362 upvotes
1ply wrote: I know someone exactly like that - Deposit $100 and they give you $50 for FREE.... well i don't knooowww.... talk about lazy. $50 for 5 minutes of your time. I don't know about any of you guys, but I certainly don't make $10 (after tax) per minute!
Yeah, I have a co-worker like this. Funny thing is the person complains about money all the time. I am giving you $50 for FREE...
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
10875 posts
5113 upvotes
Be sweet offer for new members if they get the $50 referral and $50 bonus plus the $24.
Heck signup get bonuses then close account if you really dont want it.Then after 6 months your considered a new client again for bonuses.Well thats how it use to be so im thinking its the same?

Reading the main page though its just the $50 bonus plus $24? Its been the $50 bonus forever now.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user!
EQ BANK!
SIMPLii !!
Buy first think later!
Apr 30, 2011
15 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks Op! Got the account setup and deposited the hundred bucks with the app. Been 5 business days and my 100 buck cheque cleared. GCR posted the 24 bucks to my account already but tangerine has not thrown the 50 bucks in yet.
Does anyone know how long it takes to get the 50 from Tangerine?
Jun 18, 2013
258 posts
65 upvotes
justgotlucky wrote: Thanks Op! Got the account setup and deposited the hundred bucks with the app. Been 5 business days and my 100 buck cheque cleared. GCR posted the 24 bucks to my account already but tangerine has not thrown the 50 bucks in yet.
Does anyone know how long it takes to get the 50 from Tangerine?
Should be less than a week
Dec 5, 2014
26 posts
12 upvotes
ON
GCR gave me posted me $40 for opening the chequing account, not $24. I also signed up for their Tangerine credit card which does offer $40, but I've yet to receive anything. I just requested an investigation and will hear back within a business day apparently. Does anyone know if theres a limit to these GCR rebates, was I only allowed to receive chequing or CC rebate? It'll be interesting if they credit me with another $40.
Apr 30, 2011
15 posts
2 upvotes
So just a heads up this does not work anymore. Maybe it used to work to get 24 and 50 but I only got a 25 dollar bonus from tangerine. I could have just used someone's orange code and got the 50 dollar bonus from tangerine and wouldn't have to wait for GCR to transfer out and still been a buck ahead.
Jun 18, 2013
258 posts
65 upvotes
justgotlucky wrote: So just a heads up this does not work anymore. Maybe it used to work to get 24 and 50 but I only got a 25 dollar bonus from tangerine. I could have just used someone's orange code and got the 50 dollar bonus from tangerine and wouldn't have to wait for GCR to transfer out and still been a buck ahead.
Hmm maybe I'm misunderstanding but you're supposed to use someone else's code AND GCR for 24+50