• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2018 5:43 pm
[OP]
Aug 31, 2006
595 posts
403 upvotes
Calgary

Tangerine Balanced Income Portfolio

First time investing, put 4k into the above portfolio. Its down about $80 in less than 2 weeks from the date i put it in.

I didn't assume this drastic of a drop so quickly only a few weeks in. Is this normal, or did i come in at a bad time?

Please, be gentle.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2005
1198 posts
361 upvotes
u invested at a bad time, there was a HUGE market sell off for the past few days...
Feb 4, 2017
857 posts
821 upvotes
Toronto
As mentioned above, you got in at the wrong time. However, if you think a 2% drop is drastic, maybe it's best for you to not be in equities altogether. Consider this, if the market drops 50%, you will lose $600 in your portfolio... is that a risk you can handle?
[OP]
Aug 31, 2006
595 posts
403 upvotes
Calgary
I think there's a difference between seeing highs and lows gradually and coming in and instantly getting hammered.
Sep 4, 2007
601 posts
77 upvotes
Orange Key holder in…
Yes, you have selected (or based on the way you answered the risk questions) the lowest risk portfolio. However, there is still risk.

Personally, I always pull up the roller coaster chart to see if I put money in today, am I at the peak. We all hate to get in and down she goes and take a while before back up to par again.

Here is the Quote at Moringstar.

You can click on different time period and see how it goes up and down.

Keep calm and carry on.
Nov 20, 2014
50 posts
19 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
If it makes you feel any better, everybody is getting hammered along with you.
Jan 4, 2017
366 posts
272 upvotes
It's fine and totally normal IMO. The way I see it, you don't purchase these funds to look at them frequently, unless you want to drive yourself nuts :P. Why did you buy this, what's your goal?

For me, took a while to figure out whether I'm interested in trading vs investing and then formulate some semblance of a plan. If you don't really know what you want and the goals are unclear, this might make you much more likely to fiddle with it when you shouldn't.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2013
2316 posts
596 upvotes
Sidney
And don't forget, the 2% drop is almost what you're paying in MER as well!
Feb 2, 2018
414 posts
385 upvotes
Montreal
I wouldn't worry too much about it OP. I'm in the same boat as you -bought in end december, then in January. Nobody can time the market consistently -they'd all be billionaires if they could.

If this is your first investment, I'm guessing you're likely young, in which case a 2% drop is really inconsiquential in the long run (unless you plan on using that money soon).
Dec 21, 2007
782 posts
245 upvotes
Scarborough
I have much much more with their Balanced Growth option. The way I look at it is I was never planning to pull anything out now, so it could drop 25% really and not matter. Really just matters that in 20-30 years time, it is well up from what I put everything in at.

Also, in theory if it dropped to 25-50% of current I'd be tempted to buy a lot more...since either it will go up, or we will all be fighting for food scraps and clean water when the economy collapses.
I am the Stig's brother's cousin's friend's former roommate.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1851 posts
1603 upvotes
Ottawa
Don't worry OP, the same thing happened to me. These are long-term investments, don't worry about stuff like this.