Travel

Tangerine best CAN debit card outside Canada without transaction fee !?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2018 9:16 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2006
2721 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto

Tangerine best CAN debit card outside Canada without transaction fee !?

I am planning to use a Canadian debt card for cash withdraw in China, so I spoke to Tangerine rep who told me no conversion fee when using debit China except $2. I was a bit disbelief because I remembered I read somewhere there would like a 2.5% conversion fee like TD + fee...etc

So I ended the call and did a little bit of digging and I found this site to confirm what the rep said: http://thriftynomads.com/best-travel-cr ... bit-cards/

So if it is true then it would be a great news and probably the best debit card using outside Canada !!! However, he couldn't provide me what the exchange rate would be...... so if assuming the Tangerine exchange rate is close to XE.com, then it is definitely the best and only debt card should be using.

Lets discuss, thanks

UPDATED (Feb 16, 2017): A response below from member (Talamasca) here, it turned out to be like 1.7% exchange fee + $2 for the final cost!

"""Hi, I would withdraw 2000CNY and it would cost about $420CAD + the $2 transaction fee. According to XE, the true exchange rate back in Sept 2015 (when I went to China) would have been $413CAD."""

UPDATED: Just Called PC financial and their fee for ATM outisde canada is: $3 + 2.5% conversion fee
Last edited by fatkinglet on Feb 13th, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kijiji links aren't permitted in signatures. Only links to our BST forum.
30 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
10392 posts
1173 upvotes
Vancouver
I think its free when outside Canada and specific banks.

e.g Bank of America
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1382 upvotes
Toronto
Its only a low cost withdrawal if you're using a bank affiliated with their Global ATM Alliance. And when I was recently trying to use my Tangerine card overseas, at one of those banks, I had no end of problems. Never could. So whatever you do, bring a back up!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2006
2721 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto
rocking23nf wrote:
Feb 14th, 2017 4:31 pm
why not just use a credit card?
it is not common in China, it is cash society. Has anyone use Tangerine debit for cash in China?
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11386 posts
1618 upvotes
Mississauga
fatkinglet wrote:
Feb 14th, 2017 5:35 pm
it is not common in China, it is cash society. Has anyone use Tangerine debit for cash in China?
Yep, I used my Tangerine card there. No problem.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2006
2721 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto
Talamasca wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 12:09 am
Yep, I used my Tangerine card there. No problem.
Hi, Could you tell me the actual cost? and How was the exchange rate, is it close to xe.com?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1323 posts
280 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Maybe that's what I should have used in Nicaragua two weeks ago, instead of the ATM there eating my Scotia debit card...

I do have a Tangerine debit card, but I seldom use it.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4202 posts
287 upvotes
knuks101 wrote:
Mar 4th, 2018 12:31 pm
Maybe that's what I should have used in Nicaragua two weeks ago, instead of the ATM there eating my Scotia debit card...

I do have a Tangerine debit card, but I seldom use it.
It's why I use my tangerine account as my "travel" account. That way if something happens (card eaten which has happened in the past)i still have my main account. Plus I can quickly lock off my tangerine account and there's not much in there anyways.
I'm looking for a NZ Silver Fern Kiwi coin! :)
Dec 7, 2004
8 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Had planned on relying on this card for withdrawals on a 10+ month overseas trip. Two weeks in, just tried it in Ukraine at UkrSibbank (Paribas), part of their Global Alliance. ABM said there was a problem with my PIN. Called Tangerine, guy said it's sorted, wait 1-2 hours and it will work. Waited, tried again, didn't work, called Tangerine again. Lady informed me that, since I didn't call to let them know it would be used outside of Canada first, the card is locked and it can only be unlocked once I return to Canada.

I suggested to the representative that if A) you're making a selling point of the card's overseas use, and B) The card will automatically lock if you don't call them before going overseas, then they should have I giant red advisement appear on the screen, as you are signing up.

My experience, paired with reading the experiences of others, will be leading me to close my account with Tangerine.
Jul 14, 2018
1 posts
My first trip to japan with ING direct was blessed in 2013. Low fees, no issues, Canadian dollar was strong.

2nd trip in 2015 was a nightmare. They changed to tangerine, and i used my new card. could not take out money anywhere. they blocked my pin. could not reset unless they sent a letter to my house. luckily i had another bank card.

Im currently in japan now on another trip. i called to change my pin and told them im going to japan to make sure i didnt get screwed.

But Tangerine did it to me again. Could not take out money anywhere, they blocked my pin. called them and said could only reset it at at a scotia bank in canada. Tangerine staff are usless and can honestly say im done with them.
Nov 15, 2013
536 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
So, what is the best card if I plan on tracing to Japan later this year? I anticipate taking out whatever $1000 CAD will get me in YEN.

I'm hearing horror stories for foreign conversion fees with credit cards and am trying to figure out what my best option is.

We plan on using a CC for a bulk of our food/resturant purchases...