Personal Finance

Tangerine Call Centre answer not that clear, need answer when deposited cheque will be cleared for sure

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2017 12:22 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9191 posts
2160 upvotes
London

Tangerine Call Centre answer not that clear, need answer when deposited cheque will be cleared for sure

Banking with ING and then Tangerine for 6 years now. No need to call them until today. Long story short. I deposited a $100 cheque from John Doe who paid me a deposit on September 11, today John Doe called and wanted to cancel the deal and have his money back, I agreed but told him I need to check with bank to make sure the cheque is cleared before I will refund him, he agreed. So I called Tangerine:

Explained to the agent what happened and wanted to know if the cheque is cleared or not. Agent told me cheque is cleared once I deposited it, I can cash the $100 using ATM. Told her I don't mean if I can use the money, I wanted to refund the person and wanted to make sure the cheque is cleared just in case the issuer is going to stop payment. She then asked me if I wanted to stop payment??!! Anyway after a few minutes of going nowhere, I knew she didn't understand what I was asking. Asked her to transfer to someone else and the other agent answered me with "I have to wait till Monday September 18 for the 5 business days hold period to expire", still not exactly what I wanted to know, anyway, had enough and hung up.

Anyone has experience to know when the cheque will be cleared for sure and safe for me to refund John Doe, thanks. By the way I am planning to pay him back on September 23 to be safe but John Doe wanted me to refund him on September 16 since he received a job offer and will be leaving town soon. TIA
11 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2764 posts
2193 upvotes
Winnipeg
Why not just ask John Doe to show you it's cleared in his account? Have him log into online banking and take a screenshot of the cleared cheque, etc...? Would that work?
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
2871 posts
1407 upvotes
Cheque clearing is very fast now thanks to imaging (physical cheques are no longer mailed to issuing institution) but it will be tough for anybody to tell you other than John Doe like Shawguy above said.
Loose lips sink ships. | Her Majesty's Naval Service
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22189 posts
3016 upvotes
Was it a mobile deposit? They send an email when it's cleared.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2005
1108 posts
788 upvotes
Waterloo
Kasakato wrote: Was it a mobile deposit? They send an email when it's cleared.
Do not trust their emails. They're automated time based and not reflective of actual status.

I have had a cheque reversed *after* the email that says it's clear and you can shred the original cheque.

I don't know the number of days for sure but I'd say 10 - 14 calendar days.

Even if they show you it cleared on their side may not mean they can't get it reversed.
Nov 13, 2009
574 posts
252 upvotes
Oakville
You will receive an email when it clears if you used mobile deposit
Usually after 3-4 days after you deposit the Cheque
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9191 posts
2160 upvotes
London
Thanks for the replies, I deposited it via ATM so I guess I will tell John doe to pick up his refund on Sept 23 since I deposited it on Sept 11, should be fine by then.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6382 posts
6223 upvotes
The simple answer is that Tangerine doesn't know.

Once they process the check, it's completely out of their hands... They won't know if the check ever 'clears'. They'll only get notified if the check comes back NSF or otherwise returned.

Professional fraudsters know how to play the system... with a combination of fake IDs/accounts/counterfeit cheques, it's possible to kite a cheque for weeks if not months before coming back as NSF.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2764 posts
2193 upvotes
Winnipeg
apvm wrote: Thanks for the replies, I deposited it via ATM so I guess I will tell John doe to pick up his refund on Sept 23 since I deposited it on Sept 11, should be fine by then.
Write John Doe a cheque postdated for the end of the month if you are concerned.
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2723 upvotes
ON
Always wait 5 business days standard.
It could still bounce after that, but rare for a within-Canada cheque.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
7266 posts
1580 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
superfresh89 wrote: The simple answer is that Tangerine doesn't know.

Once they process the check, it's completely out of their hands... They won't know if the check ever 'clears'. They'll only get notified if the check comes back NSF or otherwise returned.

Professional fraudsters know how to play the system... with a combination of fake IDs/accounts/counterfeit cheques, it's possible to kite a cheque for weeks if not months before coming back as NSF.
That is exactly what my personal friends at the bank tell me.
The 5 days or whatever the bank quotes is just a convenient number.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)