• Aug 28th, 2018 3:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1610 posts
613 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Tangerine customers face error

Tangerine customers got a flurry of emails in both English and French letting them know their tax receipts were available.

I got an official-looking email from changezderebancaire @e.tangerine.ca (change banking at e.tangerine.ca) ... Firefox warned me that this was "not legit" but apparently this was wrong.

It said I had a Releve (a tax slip used only by people who receive income in Quebec), in French. Naturally I was shocked (I don't live in Quebec) and almost clicked the link to see WTF was going on. Then I thought about just visiting Tangerine's site.

Edit: adding more correct info
Last edited by FoFai2015 on Feb 1st, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
22 replies
Apr 22, 2014
523 posts
257 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I got 4 of these emails tonight. 2 in english, 2 in french.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2162 posts
964 upvotes
Victoria
Are you sure it's a scam? I think they might be legit.

EDIT: These are legitimate emails coming out tonight. It's always a good idea to be suspicious though, OP! To be extra sure, avoiding links in any email and typing tangerine.ca yourself to log in is always a good idea.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1115 posts
1137 upvotes
Calgary
Also received a ton of these emails from Tangerine tonight..
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1604 posts
757 upvotes
Canada
Lots of complaints on Twitter - system glitch as opposed to phishing scams.
Aug 23, 2017
109 posts
88 upvotes
Quebec
Not a scam, but an error. I received an explanatory email:
Oops – Orange Alert Error

We’ve discovered that, due to an error, we recently sent you the same Orange Alert(s) in both English and French.

The source of this problem has now been fixed, and we apologize for any inconvenience it might have caused.

Sincerely,

Client Services
Tangerine
I received 8 emails, four in English and four in French, this morning, but no new tax receipts were available.
FoFai2015 wrote: note that e.tangerine.ca is not Tangerine's site.
You're wrong, it's a subdomain of their site tangerine.ca. If it was "etangerine" as one word, that would be different.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2012
1026 posts
448 upvotes
Trois-Rivières, QC
It's not a scam, but a glitch.

I got an email from Tangerine today saying that they experienced system issues which caused them to send several Orange alerts in error.

EDIT: Thanks for copying-pasting the email, jimprdx (I got mine in French).
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2012
1026 posts
448 upvotes
Trois-Rivières, QC
FoFai2015 wrote: I got an official-looking email from changezderebancaire @e.tangerine.ca (change banking at e.tangerine.ca)
That's a legit email address. I am a Tangerine client and my profile is in French. All emails I get from Tangerine come from that address.

FYI: "Changez d'ère bancaire" is Tangerine's slogan in French (which I think is kind of cool translation from "Forward Banking"; it means something like "Switch to a new banking era").
Aug 23, 2017
109 posts
88 upvotes
Quebec
airodyssey wrote: FYI: "Changez d'ère bancaire" is Tangerine's slogan in French (which I think is kind of cool translation from "Forward Banking"; it means something like "Switch to a new banking era").
I've been impressed with the quality of the French-language marketing from Tangerine, the changez d'air vs. changez d'ère play on words is quite well thought-out and much better than the boring "forward banking" in English. Personally I only choose French for my cheque books (and it's great you can independently choose the language for those), the rest is in English.
Aug 22, 2018
6 posts
1 upvote
Does anyone realize that if you call any of the three Tangerine phone numbers (ending 4610, 4374 and the collect call line ending 3139), you will invariably meet withe the same recording asking you to log into your account (if you are an existing account holder) or call back later ? My husband, new to Tangerine, applied for a Tangerine credit card in response to a promotional pamphlet in the mail, received his credit card which asks him to activate the card, tried for the past 8 days to do exactly that by calling each of the three numbers in turn at all times of the day, and finally gave up in total disgust. I'm now the one to try to clean up the mess since his personal info is in the Tangerine database, but he wants to have nothing more to do with Tangerine further. Can anyone advise ??
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
6163 posts
3025 upvotes
Global Village
ChristinaY68004 wrote: Does anyone realize that if you call any of the three Tangerine phone numbers (ending 4610, 4374 and the collect call line ending 3139), you will invariably meet withe the same recording asking you to log into your account (if you are an existing account holder) or call back later ? My husband, new to Tangerine, applied for a Tangerine credit card in response to a promotional pamphlet in the mail, received his credit card which asks him to activate the card, tried for the past 8 days to do exactly that by calling each of the three numbers in turn at all times of the day, and finally gave up in total disgust. I'm now the one to try to clean up the mess since his personal info is in the Tangerine database, but he wants to have nothing more to do with Tangerine further. Can anyone advise ??
You can activate it online by logging into the account.
All day I dream about sports
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4647 posts
2912 upvotes
LaLaLand
FYI: "Changez d'ère bancaire" is Tangerine's slogan in French (which I think is kind of cool translation from "Forward Banking"; it means something like "Switch to a new banking era").
Maybe it should be Changez de bancaire.
Aug 22, 2018
6 posts
1 upvote
scoper wrote: You can activate it online by logging into the account.
If you are not an existing account holder, you haven't set up an online account, you don't have a password, you can't log in. Activating by phone is the only way, which Tangerine made very clear in various publications.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
6163 posts
3025 upvotes
Global Village
ChristinaY68004 wrote: If you are not an existing account holder, you haven't set up an online account, you don't have a password, you can't log in. Activating by phone is the only way, which Tangerine made very clear in various publications.
If he doesn't want to use the card anymore then just cut it up, it isn't activated so it doesn't need to be cancelled. If however he wants to use the cc then it makes sense to open a Tangerine savings account online, I have this card and there is an option to select a 3rd 2% cash back category if you have them deposit the cash back into a Tangerine savings account. You can also change your 2% categories when you log in, etc. Plus activate the card online.

https://www.tangerine.ca/en/products/sp ... creditcard
All day I dream about sports
Aug 22, 2018
6 posts
1 upvote
I have grave doubts about placing money with a company who asks you to call a number but has no one to man the phone, which same entity by the way, does not condescend to give a contact email address on its website. I guess cutting up the card and forgetting the whole thing is the only answer. Tangerine is giving a bad name to the idea of online-only banking.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20169 posts
4725 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
ChristinaY68004 wrote: I have grave doubts about placing money with a company who asks you to call a number but has no one to man the phone, which same entity by the way, does not condescend to give a contact email address on its website. I guess cutting up the card and forgetting the whole thing is the only answer. Tangerine is giving a bad name to the idea of online-only banking.
Why the heck would a bank put a customer contact e-mail address on their website? That would be inviting people to send in confidential account information through unsecured e-mail services.

Though I agree that having backed up phones and online chat is big problem. But the last time I tried to use online chat (June 2018) they responded immediately, no wait time.
- casual gastronomist -
Aug 22, 2018
6 posts
1 upvote
You still don't get it. If you are not an existing Tangerine account holder, you can't get to email Tangerine, phone them, or chat online. In short, the company is only open to existing customers. They don't seen to want new customers. Which begs the question : why waste money on ads and commercials that I see everywhere ?
Feb 2, 2007
935 posts
853 upvotes
GTA
ChristinaY68004 wrote: You still don't get it. If you are not an existing Tangerine account holder, you can't get to email Tangerine, phone them, or chat online. In short, the company is only open to existing customers. They don't seen to want new customers. Which begs the question : why waste money on ads and commercials that I see everywhere ?
You can definitely phone them without being an existing Tangerine account holder:
1-888-826-4374
<enter client number, followed by pound> #
<if you're a client, press 1, if not, press 2> 2
<several options for non-clients>
Aug 22, 2018
6 posts
1 upvote
adrian2 wrote: You can definitely phone them without being an existing Tangerine account holder:
1-888-826-4374
<enter client number, followed by pound> #
<if you're a client, press 1, if not, press 2> 2
<several options for non-clients>
The case in point is that, after the recording "please call again later", you are (surprisingly) asked to key in client number and PIN. A new customer has no client number and no PIN set up. It's a dead end. My past experience is that activation of a new credit card is usually by the bank's automated line set up for the purpose. The new customer would have to call from his own phone, key in date of birth or other security check, and the card would be activated. Tangerine does not use this method. They ask you to call a number to activate card, the number asks you to call again later. I would have found it funny if it is happening to someone else. This Tangerine saga is now a nightmare.
Aug 22, 2018
6 posts
1 upvote
Thanks to so many people's input, I finally managed to activate the credit card. A friend suggested I contact Tangerine on Facebook, which I did. The response was almost immediate. An agent from Tangerine set out detailed instructions on how to get a speak to a real person.
The instructions were more or less the same as what adrian2 wrote. Thanks adrian2. The agent on the phone was extremely helpful, and made sure I can login online in future. It is unfortunate that Tangerine's phone lines are so messy. In other respects, Tangerine seems OK.