Tangerine debit tap doesn't work anywhere

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2017 5:57 pm
[OP]
Jun 3, 2017
126 posts
87 upvotes

Tangerine debit tap doesn't work anywhere

I realize this is not finance related, but I've seen plenty of threads talking about Tangerine's performance after the SB acquisition, so I figured I'll either add to the noise or get someone's advise.

I have a TFSA with tangerine from the ING Direct days. Recently, I opened a chequing account and used the debit card's tap feature once. After that one time it never worked again, anywhere! I dropped by their Toronto downtown location a bunch of times and every time they told me to "wait it out" for a couple of days and try it with other POS registers. Weeks later and continuous attempts in various location across the city, the darn thing still doesn't work anywhere. It always fails and asks me to either swipe or use the chip.

Today, I dropped by the location again. They gave me another card right away (different number, no name) and linked it to the account. I destroyed the previous card, changed the PIN at the ATM for the new one, and went to Loblaw's, where... yeah, no point of finishing this sentence.

Ok, so what's the deal? I tried the tap feature with 7-8 different retailers and restaurants. I tried multiple self-service registers and Shopper's and Loblaw's. I think it's safe to rule out the POS as the culprit.

Anyone else has issues with this?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
2730 posts
1491 upvotes
Kitchener
AnotherDesiredUsername wrote:
Jun 4th, 2017 4:46 pm

Ok, so what's the deal? I tried the tap feature with 7-8 different retailers and restaurants. I tried multiple self-service registers and Shopper's and Loblaw's. I think it's safe to rule out the POS as the culprit.

Anyone else has issues with this?
My tap works fine. I wonder if somewhere the feature got disabled and you haven't spoken to the right person.

There have been a couple occasions that it haves't worked, but I used it about 3 hours ago without any issue.
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
Oct 19, 2016
649 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
I think first time you have to do the PIN.. after that tap should work. (I THINK)
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1611 posts
764 upvotes
Kanada
the terminal needs to be updated with Interac Flash supporting software before the tap can work
Part of the art of working in customer service, at any company, is the ability to invent plausible explanations for unexpected outcomes. An algorithm makes the decision. The agent does not necessarily know why.
[OP]
Jun 3, 2017
126 posts
87 upvotes
SnoopDop wrote:
Jun 4th, 2017 5:45 pm
the terminal needs to be updated with Interac Flash supporting software before the tap can work
Huh? What terminal?
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3132 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto
Are you using the old or new debit card?

Have you used the card using a PIN before trying to use the tap?
[OP]
Jun 3, 2017
126 posts
87 upvotes
Troydabes wrote:
Jun 4th, 2017 7:16 pm
Are you using the old or new debit card?

Have you used the card using a PIN before trying to use the tap?
New... both of them.

Used the chip countless times. Unless, of course, you're saying that I should have used the chip for the first time and "ruined" the card permanently by not doing that.
Apr 18, 2017
300 posts
217 upvotes
Call up their customer service. Maybe the tap feature is disabled and it needs to be enabled. I don't think going into the cafe to do that will help. They'll probably also call customer service to do so.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3968 upvotes
BC
hvwozq wrote:
Jun 5th, 2017 12:25 am
Call customer service and ask if Interac Flash is disabled on your account.
^^^ this, and only this.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
[OP]
Jun 3, 2017
126 posts
87 upvotes
When I was at their location, the dude who gave me the replacement card called their customer service and had them talk to me first. One of the things that they checked for was whether or not tap is enabled.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1611 posts
764 upvotes
Kanada
AnotherDesiredUsername wrote:
Jun 4th, 2017 7:11 pm
Huh? What terminal?
The payment "machine" on which you tap your card
Part of the art of working in customer service, at any company, is the ability to invent plausible explanations for unexpected outcomes. An algorithm makes the decision. The agent does not necessarily know why.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7624 posts
1394 upvotes
Are you holding the card on the screen long enough? I find it's best to hold the card on the screen for about 2-3 seconds before lifting. I observe most people literally just "tap" for a split second, and the transaction fails.
Sep 16, 2013
147 posts
77 upvotes
Medicine Hat, AB
I use my Tangerine tap to pay all the time, never had a problem except the first time I used it... Operator error - didn't hold the card on the payment pad long enough.