Personal Finance

Tangerine Digital Signup

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2020 1:29 am
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 9, 2018
597 posts
495 upvotes

Tangerine Digital Signup

I tried to look it up here but couldn't find it. Please merge it if this thread already exists.

Tangerine has a new digital signup process. Apparently a first among Canadian banks. Looks interesting. I always had hard time convincing not so financial savvy friends and family members to join Tangerine using my orange key. I guess it will be easier than before now. On a serious note, You can open a bank account without speaking to an agent or visiting tangerine cafe. Take a selfie, upload an ID and fill up the form to open an account.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
7695 posts
9508 upvotes
sunbat wrote: I tried to look it up here but couldn't find it. Please merge it if this thread already exists.

Tangerine has a new digital signup process. Apparently a first among Canadian banks. Looks interesting. I always had hard time convincing not so financial savvy friends and family members to join Tangerine using my orange key. I guess it will be easier than before now. On a serious note, You can open a bank account without speaking to an agent or visiting tangerine cafe. Take a selfie, upload an ID and fill up the form to open an account.
Not sure what you're referring to here as there is no links or screenshots to what you're talking about.

When I signed up for the Tang MC and bank accounts I didn't need to talk to anyone or go anywhere, this was in 2018 I believe so what's new here?
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 9, 2018
597 posts
495 upvotes
Here is the screenshot. I guess its always easier for an existing client to open another account but this is really making it easier for a new client to signup for lets say a chq account.
Images
  • Digital signup.JPG
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
7695 posts
9508 upvotes
sunbat wrote: Here is the screenshot. I guess its always easier for an existing client to open another account but this is really making it easier for a new client to signup for lets say a chq account.
I signed up on their website as a new client.

It seems like they just baked the same ability into the app, or am I missing something?
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 9, 2018
597 posts
495 upvotes
Gtaphotog wrote: I signed up on their website as a new client.

It seems like they just baked the same ability into the app, or am I missing something?
Ok. I guess I was under the wrong impression then. I had two relatives who tried to signup in the past and they were asked to visit Tangerine cafe with an ID or mail it to them. Same thing with Simplii. Only that they could go to a nearest Canada post to verify the identity for Simplii account.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
7695 posts
9508 upvotes
sunbat wrote: Ok. I guess I was under the wrong impression then. I had two relatives who tried to signup in the past and they were asked to visit Tangerine cafe with an ID or mail it to them. Same thing with Simplii. Only that they could go to a nearest Canada post to verify the identity for Simplii account.
That ID verification occasionally happens with different people for different products.

I had to go to a Rogers store for the Rogers WE but other cards I haven't had to do additional verification.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7407 posts
4322 upvotes
sunbat wrote: Ok. I guess I was under the wrong impression then. I had two relatives who tried to signup in the past and they were asked to visit Tangerine cafe with an ID or mail it to them. Same thing with Simplii. Only that they could go to a nearest Canada post to verify the identity for Simplii account.
If they can not verify you according to the credit info they have, then you need to go in with your Id. Especially you have never owned a credit card, a mortgage, a loan, etc. Basically you have no credit history.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 14, 2012
2372 posts
1766 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Gtaphotog wrote:
When I signed up for the Tang MC and bank accounts I didn't need to talk to anyone or go anywhere, this was in 2018 I believe so what's new here?
Same thing with me, however for me I signed up for ING which became Tangerine probably over 10 years ago.

I wasn't asked to go to a Tangerine cafe nor was I asked to talk to anyone or send a copy of my ID anyplace/anywhere. If I would have been asked to do either of these, I probably would not have been a customer of their's since even though I have no problems showing ID, I do have issues with photocopying ID or allowing a business or financial institution to photocopy my ID without good reason (and I also must really want to use their service/product). In terms of going to a Tangerine cafe, I would not have done that for the inconvenience factor as the closest one to me is downtown Montreal and even though I live on the island of Montreal, back then, I rarely went to downtown Montreal during office/business hours.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)