• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2021 11:40 pm
[OP]
Nov 26, 2018
180 posts
1791 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area

Tangerine free 5$ (thank you for waiting) deposit

Today I received an email with subject: A small we're sorry gesture for your time.

Tangerine deposited a one-time 5$ into my chequings account. Email reads as follows:

It’s important to us that our Clients receive top-notch service. So when our Clients have to wait longer than they should to talk to us, we aren’t happy.

We’re working on making improvements to help ensure every interaction is an amazing one, and learning from how we missed the mark is a big part of that.

Here’s a little “we’re sorry you had to wait so long” gesture that we hope will brighten your day: We’ve deposited $5 into your Tangerine Chequing Account as a small show of appreciation for your patience. Consider your next coffee, digital movie rental or treat on us!

Thanks again for choosing to bank with us.

Sincerely,
Team Tangerine
23 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1883 posts
618 upvotes
Pretty smart gesture from Tangerine. Up keeps good will and marketig.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1844 posts
1323 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Yel143 wrote: Today I received an email with subject: A small we're sorry gesture for your time.

Tangerine deposited a one-time 5$ into my chequings account. Email reads as follows:

It’s important to us that our Clients receive top-notch service. So when our Clients have to wait longer than they should to talk to us, we aren’t happy.

We’re working on making improvements to help ensure every interaction is an amazing one, and learning from how we missed the mark is a big part of that.

Here’s a little “we’re sorry you had to wait so long” gesture that we hope will brighten your day: We’ve deposited $5 into your Tangerine Chequing Account as a small show of appreciation for your patience. Consider your next coffee, digital movie rental or treat on us!

Thanks again for choosing to bank with us.

Sincerely,
Team Tangerine
I received this same email and the same deposit of $5 to my account. I'm not sure what this "you had to wait so long" is all about since I don't remember having called them or tried to contact them at all in the last few months. All my automatic/scheduled transactions whether they were pushes/pulls from Tangerine or from another financial institution were done at the usual expected time. The only thing that I did which seemed to take long was purchasing/transferring an amount to my RRSP investment fund account but this always took approximately 3 -4 business days to go through and appear as the current balance on my RRSP investment fund account so I doubt the $5 is related to this.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10651 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
lmcjipo wrote: I received this same email and the same deposit of $5 to my account. I'm not sure what this "you had to wait so long" is all about since I don't remember having called them or tried to contact them at all in the last few months. All my automatic/scheduled transactions whether they were pushes/pulls from Tangerine or from another financial institution were done at the usual expected time. The only thing that I did which seemed to take long was purchasing/transferring an amount to my RRSP investment fund account but this always took approximately 3 -4 business days to go through and appear as the current balance on my RRSP investment fund account so I doubt the $5 is related to this.
Probably it's another tangerine lottery
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
5890 posts
6924 upvotes
The NORTH
angel_wing0 wrote: booo, didnt get it, super sad.
Just call in with a random question and hope you get put on hold? :)
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
4098 posts
1757 upvotes
Quebec
waited for hours, during multiple calls, never received 5$.

no care, just happy for those got it.
Jul 2, 2015
247 posts
113 upvotes
OTTAWA,ON
I'm obviously missing something here because isn't there an option for a callback instead of wasting so much time on hold ?
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1844 posts
1323 upvotes
Montreal, QC
angel_wing0 wrote: booo, didnt get it, super sad.
The last time they offered this (which was a few months ago I believe), I didn't get that one... so I'm somewhat happy that I got this one even though I have absolutely no clue what it is for since there wasn't any real significant delays for me for transactions that I made and I don't remember calling them recently.

As mentioned the only non-instantaneous transaction that I made was to move money from my savings account to one of their investment accounts and there has always been a delay of approximately a week (maybe 4 days) for the current balance in the investment account to show the new deposit/transfer (but I always see the pending transfer/deposit in the investment fund transactional details approximately one business day after making the deposit/transfer in "pending" status)
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10651 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
lmcjipo wrote: The last time they offered this (which was a few months ago I believe), I didn't get that one... so I'm somewhat happy that I got this one even though I have absolutely no clue what it is for since there wasn't any real significant delays for me for transactions that I made and I don't remember calling them recently.

As mentioned the only non-instantaneous transaction that I made was to move money from my savings account to one of their investment accounts and there has always been a delay of approximately a week (maybe 4 days) for the current balance in the investment account to show the new deposit/transfer (but I always see the pending transfer/deposit in the investment fund transactional details approximately one business day after making the deposit/transfer in "pending" status)
What you said made me wondering whether this so called "waiting so long" 5 dollars is more because you gave them business. If you just called them and moved your money out, even you waited 2 hours, you might not get 5 dollars

It's more like "you shouldn't wait so long to give us money "
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1773 posts
206 upvotes
Got the 5$ too!
I feel the need... the need for speed.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2009
1117 posts
650 upvotes
East of Toronto
Received the email and $5. I assume it came because I completed the survey I received from Tangerine Client Experience and complained about outbound not calling me back .
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1773 posts
206 upvotes
DRC wrote: Received the email and $5. I assume it came because I completed the survey I received from Tangerine Client Experience and complained about outbound not calling me back .
Great nickname!
Sep 22, 2020
360 posts
460 upvotes
Does anyone know if tangerine is still in business? Every time I call, they tell me that they are very busy and an agent will be with me within 5 minutes or less. Waited an hour and finally gave up. I feel like I should be closing my world elite mastercard, so much for “world elite”
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1844 posts
1323 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Internetsurfer wrote: Does anyone know if tangerine is still in business? Every time I call, they tell me that they are very busy and an agent will be with me within 5 minutes or less. Waited an hour and finally gave up. I feel like I should be closing my world elite mastercard, so much for “world elite”
Tangerine doesn't have a World Elite Mastercard.
Jul 2, 2015
247 posts
113 upvotes
OTTAWA,ON
Internetsurfer wrote: Does anyone know if tangerine is still in business? Every time I call, they tell me that they are very busy and an agent will be with me within 5 minutes or less. Waited an hour and finally gave up. I feel like I should be closing my world elite mastercard, so much for “world elite”
I feel your pain and have also become very disappointed with their dwindling customer service, no more live chat becoming the latest road kill.

Have you tried the callback option ?
Nov 30, 2011
351 posts
192 upvotes
lmcjipo wrote: I received this same email and the same deposit of $5 to my account. I'm not sure what this "you had to wait so long" is all about since I don't remember having called them or tried to contact them at all in the last few months. All my automatic/scheduled transactions whether they were pushes/pulls from Tangerine or from another financial institution were done at the usual expected time. The only thing that I did which seemed to take long was purchasing/transferring an amount to my RRSP investment fund account but this always took approximately 3 -4 business days to go through and appear as the current balance on my RRSP investment fund account so I doubt the $5 is related to this.
I actually had to wait forever, and I got nothing. You suck Tangerine.
Oct 14, 2009
541 posts
488 upvotes
Rothesay
Wish I still had my Tangerine account but I forgot about it for a time and a rogue PayPal transaction that I forgot was hooked up to my Tangerine account put me in overdraft for a few dollars. Was quite busy at the time and missed all the phone calls and emails and once I realized what had happened they already closed my account over a few dollars Crying Face
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1773 posts
206 upvotes
lmcjipo wrote: Tangerine doesn't have a World Elite Mastercard.
They have a World Mastercard