Expired Hot Deals

Tangerine

Get cozy with a $250 Bonus + 2% back on 3 categories (for new Mastercard applications)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2020 4:51 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
2837 posts
1010 upvotes
Saskatoon
adilh53 wrote: Those cards you are referring to with 10% cashback sign up offers are premium cards with >$100 in annual fees although I know they do offer first year free along with these promos from time to time.

IMO, you can't compare these no fee credit cards to the premium cards in terms of the offers/incentives they offer for signing up
On both cards first year fee was waved, (so it’s not from time to time).
No need to type thank you; upvote=thanks.
Buffett, investors are focusing “not on what an asset will produce but rather on what the next fellow will pay for it.”

“Because gold is honest money it is disliked by dishonest men.” – R. Paul
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1926 posts
1471 upvotes
ukrainiandude wrote: On both cards first year fee was waved, (so it’s not from time to time).
It is time to time - if you are suggesting both the TD/CIBC premium cards have the FYF all of the time, that is simply not true. Your just not going to see these forever free credit cards offer the kind of offers that the premium cards do - not sure why anyone would expect any different.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1625 posts
1080 upvotes
Near You
Hmm, I cancelled my card back in December. Not sure if I'm gonna be eligible for this offer since 90 days haven't passed yet.
• AMEX PlatinumAeroplan Reserve
• MC BrimSTACK • Visa CIBC Aeroplan VIPTD Aeroplan VI
• TD • HSBC Premier • Tangerine • Fido 25GB/35$ • Public Mobile • Google Fi • Novus 1GIG/60$
Feb 17, 2018
146 posts
160 upvotes
FlyingSausage wrote: What a shame, I just upgraded and they didn’t give me anything. Might as well cancel and move to scotia
Tangerine is owned by Scotiabank
Aug 20, 2019
438 posts
308 upvotes
Toronto
adilh53 wrote:
This is 5% on ANY category as long as you hit 5k spending.
It's a good offer only if you can spend that much in 3 months. Their previous offer for 4% in 2% categories (which I got) is better for those who wouldn't be able to meet the spending requirement for this offer.
Adam
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2003
1183 posts
354 upvotes
It sucks that an authorized user cannot apply for their own card with an offer. I added my husband to my account as it was free, thinking he could later take advantage of a new offer for himself. He hasn't even used his supplementary card!
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2003
1183 posts
354 upvotes
canine80 wrote: Insurance premium is not eligible according to the terms and conditions
It counts as recurring payment if you have them debit your card annually. It worked for me for insurance, licencing dues and CAA membership so far and I got the 4% cashback.
Jul 7, 2016
422 posts
830 upvotes
adilh53 wrote: This is 5% on ANY category as long as you hit 5k spending.
I really want this card for the Mobile Device Protection, but will likely not be able to spend $5K in three months since most my spending will be allocated to the 10% TD/CIBC (or Scotia, but personally ineligible) cards at up to $2K each. I just finished with TD, moving to CIBC. The other perk of the latter options is that if you miss the threshold, you can still get the 10% earn. Tangerine's is achieve it or lose it.

Unfortunately may have to pass on this one. Can't see myself spending $5K in such a short time but I shall see where I am at in March.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9273 posts
7386 upvotes
Kitchener
LOL......unable to approve me. I guess too many credit cards lately??? Pro-tip: don't pay your bills every month if you want to be approved???
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2013
1913 posts
1226 upvotes
Toronto
So I guess this agent didn't know what s/he is talking !! Said I am eligible even if I have supplementary card from my spouse's account.
Images
  • 2.JPG
  • 1.JPG
Oct 26, 2012
7 posts
2 upvotes
RICHMOND
JaiKor wrote: So I guess this agent didn't know what s/he is talking !! Said I am eligible even if I have supplementary card from my spouse's account.
That's how I understand too. I was surprised when I heard the rep told me that supplementary card holder applying for new account would not qualify. I asked the rep to double check my account and he replied with assurance that I won't be qualify for the special offers even though the system lets me applied and approved. Had to ask the rep to close the account because no point of keeping it if no offer was given.

I know the information we get are contradictory but I find sometimes it comes down to the rep you're talking to.

Before I opened a chq account with Tangerine last year January, I called and spoke to a rep who assured me that I would qualify for the new account bonus. He also told me that he would put a note on my file. I setup an account and met all requirements but after months gone by, no bonus was deposited. I called and was reassured again that it would be deposited into my account. Weeks gone by, a rep started an investigation and came back saying their marketing department advised that offer only applied to targeted customers and I wasn't one of them. Another back and forth with different rep and eventually a manager decided to honor the bonus because the rep I spoke to before opening an account did put a note on my file saying I would qualify for the bonus.

Anyways I should have called before applying this cc :rolleyes:
Last edited by aljo99 on Feb 5th, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2013
1913 posts
1226 upvotes
Toronto
Confirmed with second rep and he was positive as well. They clarified that supplementary card holder wont be eligible for ANOTHER 250$ bonus. So only one bonus for primary account.
Oct 26, 2012
7 posts
2 upvotes
RICHMOND
JaiKor wrote: Confirmed with second rep and he was positive as well. They clarified that supplementary card holder wont be eligible for ANOTHER 250$ bonus. So only one bonus for primary account.
Thanks for the update :)

I meant supplementary card holder applying for new cc account would not qualify for the special offer. That's what I was told, which still doesn't make sense to me tho Confused Face
Aug 27, 2019
8 posts
1 upvote
adilh53 wrote:
This is 5% on ANY category as long as you hit 5k spending.
You forgot that the earlier promo had a key word. ... “unlimited” :)
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1926 posts
1471 upvotes
HulkIncredible wrote: You forgot that the earlier promo had a key word. ... “unlimited” :)
To me the key words in earlier promo were "select categories". Most of the categories tangerine allows you to select for your bonus cashback like gas/groceries/recurring payments already earn me bonus cashback from other credit cards so not much of an incentive for me personally.

The most you get back on a regular basis on every purchase (outside of the usual gas/groceries/bill payments) is 1.75 - 2% cashback so this 5% is an incentive to me. To each their own..
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
47109 posts
7513 upvotes
Richmond Hill
taya1214 wrote: If anyone is into churning game, this promo is just meh.. 5%+ extra return in churning is not that great. If your credit scoring isn't that great, this would be good one to start and build though.
Agreed, $5000 is very steep, I'd rather do an AMEX at that point.
Oct 12, 2015
369 posts
404 upvotes
Ottawa
Jon Lai wrote: Agreed, $5000 is very steep, I'd rather do an AMEX at that point.
That's not a fair comparison. The 2% recurring is meaningful. It's very hard to get that with AMEX let alone find vendors that readily accept the damn card!
Oct 12, 2015
369 posts
404 upvotes
Ottawa
Pardon the ignorance, as I understand it:
- $250 if you spend $5k in 3 months (on anything), plus
- $55 for signing up via GCR, and
- recurring 2% on 3 categories of choice: grocery (all major retailers?), gas (all major retailers?), recurring payments (phone, internet, netflix, etc)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)