Expired Hot Deals

Tangerine

Get cozy with a $250 Bonus + 2% back on 3 categories (for new Mastercard applications)

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2020 4:51 pm
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
47110 posts
7513 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sajjad365 wrote: That's not a fair comparison. The 2% recurring is meaningful. It's very hard to get that with AMEX let alone find vendors that readily accept the damn card!
2% on 3 categories is nothing to be overly excited about. A churner would just put that spending on a new card.
Member
User avatar
Oct 12, 2015
369 posts
404 upvotes
Ottawa
Jon Lai wrote: 2% on 3 categories is nothing to be overly excited about. A churner would just put that spending on a new card.
Please show me better cash back option for $0 AF - I'm genuinely asking /nosarcasm.

Currently sporting the BMO WE MC (everyday) and MBNA Amazon MC (Amazon only)
Sr. Member
Feb 13, 2011
993 posts
309 upvotes
Vancouver
got approved instantly over 10k limit
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 9, 2005
2865 posts
207 upvotes
aljo99 wrote: Thanks for the update :)

I meant supplementary card holder applying for new cc account would not qualify for the special offer. That's what I was told, which still doesn't make sense to me tho Confused Face
Tangerine is pretty stingy with their offers. I applied for mortgage a long time ago and got declined. When I opened a bank account to take advantage of offer for opening new account, they said I'm not a new client because they have my information on profile and it was a few years apart from each other. Seems like they keep your profile on their system for life.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
47110 posts
7513 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sajjad365 wrote: Please show me better cash back option for $0 AF - I'm genuinely asking /nosarcasm.

Currently sporting the BMO WE MC (everyday) and MBNA Amazon MC (Amazon only)
Check out the credit card thread in the personal finance section. Tons of cards are first year free.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 6, 2011
614 posts
294 upvotes
Calgary
rain wrote: Tangerine is pretty stingy with their offers. I applied for mortgage a long time ago and got declined. When I opened a bank account to take advantage of offer for opening new account, they said I'm not a new client because they have my information on profile and it was a few years apart from each other. Seems like they keep your profile on their system for life.
Just got off the phone with Tangerine as I'm moving my funds out and closing the account. They mentioned the customer "profile" is deleted after 2 years.
Newbie
Mar 13, 2015
39 posts
16 upvotes
Stratford, PE
Ahh, sadly a decline for me on the world one, should I try again for the regular cb?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 18, 2007
2168 posts
825 upvotes
Scarborough
wadnera wrote: Ahh, sadly a decline for me on the world one, should I try again for the regular cb?
You need income of $60,000 or household of $100,000
Tangerine
Simplii
Freedom Mobile
Newbie
Mar 13, 2015
39 posts
16 upvotes
Stratford, PE
supremekai wrote: You need income of $60,000 or household of $100,000
Yeah we have no problems there, I have a few other WE/World type cards... I submitted amounts higher than those... credit score is 809, checked today and haven't applied for many accounts in the last year
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1926 posts
1471 upvotes
Does tangerine show cashback earned for each transaction (so we can confirm we are earning the bonus cashback for this promo) or do you just have to spend the 5k and hope to eventually get the $250 bonus?
Member
Jul 7, 2016
422 posts
830 upvotes
wadnera wrote: Yeah we have no problems there, I have a few other WE/World type cards... I submitted amounts higher than those... credit score is 809, checked today and haven't applied for many accounts in the last year
I've read many horror stories of strange rejections by Tangerine CC.

Given you have other WE/World cards and a credit score over 800, I think you joined the club of questionable rejections by Tangerine.
Member
Jul 7, 2016
422 posts
830 upvotes
sajjad365 wrote: Please show me better cash back option for $0 AF - I'm genuinely asking /nosarcasm.

Currently sporting the BMO WE MC (everyday) and MBNA Amazon MC (Amazon only)
I think he was referring from a churner's perspective. Tangerine is a good no-AF card for 3 categories you normally can't get accelerated CB on (e.g. home improvement).

However, spending $5,000 to get 5% from a "churning" perspective is a really weak offer. Especially given there are three credit card offerings right now that offer you 10% on spend up to $2,000 (first year free) and does not have the restriction of you need to make the spend or you lose it (i.e. if you spend $4,000 on Tangerine you don't get the $250 at all). If you have one of those latter offers, you really don't want to be putting $5,000 on the Tangerine card when there are better options (opportunity cost of where that spending should go).

Not to discount this card. It is a good no-AF card and great for filling in those categories that are non-accelerated. However, if you're eligible for the Rogers WE with 1.75% on all spend, it's really a trouble/benefit of whether or not that extra card is worth the extra 0.25%. Most people would opt for a good Gas & Grocery card if those spending are significant (e.g. many 3% / 4% cards that could be worth the AF).

Here's the credit card churning thread for reference: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/jerrys-l ... q-1685293/

Another good thread for good cards depending on the purpose: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/whats-be ... s-2162874/

Credit card combos: credit-card-combos-thread-2263322/
(You'll see Tangerine shows up here occasionally)
Member
Nov 13, 2003
217 posts
153 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Presents wrote: I think he was referring from a churner's perspective. Tangerine is a good no-AF card for 3 categories you normally can't get accelerated CB on (e.g. home improvement).

However, spending $5,000 to get 5% from a "churning" perspective is a really weak offer. Especially given there are three credit card offerings right now that offer you 10% on spend up to $2,000 (first year free) and does not have the restriction of you need to make the spend or you lose it (i.e. if you spend $4,000 on Tangerine you don't get the $250 at all). If you have one of those latter offers, you really don't want to be putting $5,000 on the Tangerine card when there are better options (opportunity cost of where that spending should go).

Not to discount this card. It is a good no-AF card and great for filling in those categories that are non-accelerated. However, if you're eligible for the Rogers WE with 1.75% on all spend, it's really a trouble/benefit of whether or not that extra card is worth the extra 0.25%. Most people would opt for a good Gas & Grocery card if those spending are significant (e.g. many 3% / 4% cards that could be worth the AF).

Here's the credit card churning thread for reference: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/jerrys-l ... q-1685293/

Another good thread for good cards depending on the purpose: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/whats-be ... s-2162874/

Credit card combos: credit-card-combos-thread-2263322/
(You'll see Tangerine shows up here occasionally)
Also worth mentioning that when the $5000 spends don't fall into any of the 2% categories, then the cashback would be 0.5% instead. That said if one is able to spend $5000 on the 2% categories in 3 months, and they wanted the card anyway, that's a good $305 bonus to get started! $305 is a 6% return on its own.
Newbie
Mar 13, 2015
39 posts
16 upvotes
Stratford, PE
Presents wrote: I've read many horror stories of strange rejections by Tangerine CC.

Given you have other WE/World cards and a credit score over 800, I think you joined the club of questionable rejections by Tangerine.
Aw well, moved on to Amex so too bad for Scotiabank. It really doesn't want to make me bother with them much more than getting the bonus and getting out. My utilization rate is near 0%, there's little reason I should have been denied but it's their loss.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1926 posts
1471 upvotes
DDR wrote: Also worth mentioning that when the $5000 spends don't fall into any of the 2% categories, then the cashback would be 0.5% instead. That said if one is able to spend $5000 on the 2% categories in 3 months, and they wanted the card anyway, that's a good $305 bonus to get started! $305 is a 6% return on its own.
Mind elaborating on the cashback would be 0.5% if the $5000 spending did not fall into any of the 2% category?

This offer is for spend $5000 on anything and get $250 cashback which works out to 5%. Nothing falls into 0.5% cashBack for the first $5000 spent on this card (for this promo)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 30, 2007
8789 posts
796 upvotes
Toronto
Presents wrote: Unfortunately may have to pass on this one. Can't see myself spending $5K in such a short time but I shall see where I am at in March.
I'm in a similar boat, I want to reduce spending a little bit the next few months and don't think it makes sense to hit the cap or take the credit check hit atm
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 9, 2005
2865 posts
207 upvotes
adilh53 wrote: Mind elaborating on the cashback would be 0.5% if the $5000 spending did not fall into any of the 2% category?

This offer is for spend $5000 on anything and get $250 cashback which works out to 5%. Nothing falls into 0.5% cashBack for the first $5000 spent on this card (for this promo)
The promotion says you have to spend $5000 in order to get $250. If you don't end up spending 5k, then you only end up with 0.5% on items not in the 2% category.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
1952 posts
1406 upvotes
Calgary
simplypop wrote: Does the credit take a hit when closing bank accounts? I have a Tagnerine now, but wanted to close it. And in 6-9 months churn and open another way if theres a bonus.
If it’s your oldest account/card, don’t close it.
Newbie
User avatar
Nov 11, 2018
24 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
LOL I wish I can pay my mortgage with a credit card....

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)