Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Tangerine

GICs (registered and non-registered): 270-day 4.25%, 1-year 4.70%

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2022 11:06 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
2366 posts
4542 upvotes
Airdrie, AB

[Tangerine] GICs (registered and non-registered): 270-day 4.25%, 1-year 4.70%

Deal Link:
Price:
4.70%
Retailer:
Tangerine
More offers from Tangerine
Pretty attractive rates for registered and non-registered accounts, especially on the 270-day and 1-Year terms (locked), for those who like to play the Balance Transfer game!

Here are the current posted rates, as of September 27, 2022:
  • 90 Day Guaranteed Investment 1.50%
  • 180 Day Guaranteed Investment 3.70%
  • 270 Day Guaranteed Investment 4.25%
  • 1 Year Guaranteed Investment 4.70%
  • 1.5 Year Guaranteed Investment 4.70%
  • 2 Year Guaranteed Investment 4.50%
  • 3 Year Guaranteed Investment 4.75%
  • 4 Year Guaranteed Investment 4.60%
  • 5 Year Guaranteed Investment 4.65%

There was a previous/expired thread with pretty good rates for a couple months before Tangerine dropped the rates in early September, for a few weeks of cooling off. They just turned up the heat again with the latest rate hikes.
69 replies
Dec 12, 2019
974 posts
698 upvotes
Rates looking better again. I expect to see the rate 5% soon again and maybe more at the end of year/next year.
Jul 15, 2003
903 posts
535 upvotes
GTA, Ontario
Thanks! Was waiting for the bump.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
3045 posts
2144 upvotes
I was just on the Simplii thread and this one looks way better. I needed just a 90 day one
May 29, 2018
49 posts
12 upvotes
question: is it better to hold maybe half of your cash in USD other than 100% CAD for next 2-3 years?
Nov 21, 2019
162 posts
25 upvotes
For the financially illiterate, could someone explain why I'd lock my money up here instead of their generic savings account which has a pretty high rate at the moment?
Apr 9, 2018
608 posts
282 upvotes
GTA
Damn. Just locked in a 1 year last week at 4.4%. Oh well. Thanks for the post.
Jul 21, 2022
31 posts
33 upvotes
Do you have 30 days to cancel a GIC you made with tangerine?
Dec 30, 2018
91 posts
131 upvotes
HardWorkPaysOff wrote: question: is it better to hold maybe half of your cash in USD other than 100% CAD for next 2-3 years?
You can hold USD until the day FED start easing. I would sell some USD at the about 1:1.45.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
2366 posts
4542 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
SlobMarley wrote: For the financially illiterate, could someone explain why I'd lock my money up here instead of their generic savings account which has a pretty high rate at the moment?
There may be other reasons, but off the top of my head:
  • Tangerine's promo rate of 3.50% is lower than most of the locked-in GIC rates
  • Tangerine's promo rates are 5-month promos, and generally open to new accounts only or targeted offers, whereas GICs at posted rates are open to anyone with an existing Tangerine account
CheapoSeaker wrote: Do you have 30 days to cancel a GIC you made with tangerine?
AFAIK, you can cancel within 30 days (e.g. if rates go up, and you want to take advantage of those instead), but you would forfeit any interest accrued. Also has to be done via phone call; can't be done online.
Nov 29, 2006
481 posts
191 upvotes
SlobMarley wrote: For the financially illiterate, could someone explain why I'd lock my money up here instead of their generic savings account which has a pretty high rate at the moment?
There are no high interest savings account that match these returns. Tangerine has a promo offer right now until January 31st, but you're not going to find savings accounts offering 4% or more over the course of a year. If you need the cash in the next few months to under a year, keep it in savings. If you don't need it for a year or a couple years, GICs could be a good option. If you don't need it for 5+ years for retirement, buy index funds.
May 29, 2018
49 posts
12 upvotes
Heroin wrote: You can hold USD until the day FED start easing. I would sell some USD at the about 1:1.45.
thanks for the info!
Dec 27, 2011
225 posts
327 upvotes
Sherwood Park
Thanks for this.. I needed to do something with my money and it was already sitting in a Tangerine savings account. Made my life easy.
Jun 3, 2017
253 posts
132 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
I've been waiting for this! Thanks OP.
Guys, just asking, should I set aside a big portion and wait for another rate increase next month?
Mar 4, 2019
163 posts
156 upvotes
Vancouver
Huh, I put in a rather large sum at 4.40% on August 30th earmarked as a mortgage prepayment when it matures
Not really sure if taking advantage of the 30-day cancellation to get 4.70% is worth delaying my eventual prepayment a whole month
Dec 1, 2017
88 posts
58 upvotes
FYI Tangerine is currently offering 4.25% savings account to new customers for 5 months
Jun 3, 2017
253 posts
132 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Just a worry:
I got some money sitting in my Tangerine TFSA savings account already. And I just transferred them to tangerine TFSA GIC.
Is that deemed as tfsa withdrawal and new contribution? Does that affect my contribution room? I'm pretty sure I don't have any room left for this year.
Jul 21, 2022
31 posts
33 upvotes
rentonrenton wrote: Just a worry:
I got some money sitting in my Tangerine TFSA savings account already. And I just transferred them to tangerine TFSA GIC.
Is that deemed as tfsa withdrawal and new contribution? Does that affect my contribution room? I'm pretty sure I don't have any room left for this year.
Nope, since it isn't leaving the TFSA account, just being transferred into another, it does not touch your contribution. Similar to EQ and all other banks internally.
Mar 5, 2021
388 posts
789 upvotes
Ontario
Tangerine is on fire again.
God bless Canada and the whole world.