Hot Deals

[Tangerine] HELOC @ Prime -0.1% (i.e. 3.85%)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2019 10:56 am
[OP]
Aug 29, 2017
413 posts
1166 upvotes

[Tangerine] HELOC @ Prime -0.1% (i.e. 3.85%)

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Tangerine
More offers from Tangerine
Pretty Good Rate from Tangerine!

With a Tangerine Home Equity Line of Credit, you can borrow at a great low interest rate using your equity you’ve built in your home, if you’ve built up at least 35% equity. Our optional Fixed Payback Plan can help you pay your Loan back faster.

Get a great interest rate (Tangerine Prime - 0.10%) with low, interest-only minimum payments every month. Annual interest calculated semi-annually not in advance.
“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do."― John Ruskin
15 replies
Aug 18, 2016
155 posts
157 upvotes
I already have HELCO with tangerine, interest rate is 4.4, which I already had reduced from 4.65 when they called me about putting a HELCO on another property I owned at the lower rate of 4.4%. It is a rental property, which makes it ineligible, but they were willing to reduce currrent one on primary residence. I wonder if they would be willing to further reduce to this rate.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
1224 posts
536 upvotes
Hamilton
Refinance rates are very close to both fixed and variable rates. Why we should bother for HELOC at about 1%, 100 basis points, more than a refinance rates? Any comparable benefit?
Last edited by HamsiBrain on Jun 5th, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2008
1259 posts
415 upvotes
Move that decimal over to the right and it might get interesting...
Jun 19, 2009
115 posts
9 upvotes
Richmond
HamsiBrain wrote:
Jun 5th, 2019 1:20 pm
Refinance rates are almost close to fixed rates. Why we should bother for HELOC at about 1%, 100 basis points, more than a refinance rates? Any comparable benefit?
HELOC = Flexibility for credit usage and/or credit pay down. On a mortgage, even though it's a better interest rate, you're stuck to a 1,2 or 3 year closed term.

Definitely a good rate on HELOC. thanks OP
Aug 27, 2013
58 posts
17 upvotes
BC
Is it free to get a HELOC with them?
What are in-house lawyer fees etc to get a HELOC with Tangerine?
Thanks in advance
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
1224 posts
536 upvotes
Hamilton
Ccmboy wrote:
Jun 5th, 2019 2:02 pm
HELOC = Flexibility for credit usage and/or credit pay down. On a mortgage, even though it's a better interest rate, you're stuck to a 1,2 or 3 year closed term.

Definitely a good rate on HELOC. thanks OP
I understand that but a simple math says get a refinance if you need additional funds esp if you are on renewal due and pay it back later if you do not need any of it by lump sum, double up, 20% up, etc. Most lenders allow to speed up pay back process. Unless you are not doing some home flipping or really need more flexibility, etc, it does not make financial sense to pay 100 basis points more.
FYI it's like paying 9K more interest on a 200K fund in 4 year.
Jul 8, 2013
18 posts
16 upvotes
Edmonton
I spoke with a Tangerine rep.
She said 3.85% is a fixed rate as long as you keep the account open and won’t change with prime (I don’t think I believe her).
Fees are ~$250 for appraisal and $800-1200 for legal.
If you’re already mortgaged with a different lender, you have to move your mortgage to Tangerine in order to get this.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1249 posts
593 upvotes
If you have to move your mortgage to tangerine, thats a deal breaker

Last i heard, tangerine only does collateral mortgages
Jun 19, 2009
115 posts
9 upvotes
Richmond
HamsiBrain wrote:
Jun 5th, 2019 2:39 pm
I understand that but a simple math says get a refinance if you need additional funds esp if you are on renewal due and pay it back later if you do not need any of it by lump sum, double up, 20% up, etc. Most lenders allow to speed up pay back process. Unless you are not doing some home flipping or really need more flexibility, etc, it does not make financial sense to pay 100 basis points more.
FYI it's like paying 9K more interest on a 200K fund in 4 year.
For sure, for the best interest rate, you wouldnt want to hold your actual housing debt on a HELOC. Housing debt on a mortgage, HELOC is for your Tesla purchase or other fun funds - Things you dont want to amortize over 25 years.
Jun 19, 2009
115 posts
9 upvotes
Richmond
keilor wrote:
Jun 5th, 2019 2:50 pm
I spoke with a Tangerine rep.
She said 3.85% is a fixed rate as long as you keep the account open and won’t change with prime (I don’t think I believe her).
Fees are ~$250 for appraisal and $800-1200 for legal.
If you’re already mortgaged with a different lender, you have to move your mortgage to Tangerine in order to get this.
you're right, fixed rate part seem bogus. If true, they may be the only FI offering a fixed rate HELOC.
Aug 18, 2016
155 posts
157 upvotes
HamsiBrain wrote:
Jun 5th, 2019 1:20 pm
Refinance rates are very close to both fixed and variable rates. Why we should bother for HELOC at about 1%, 100 basis points, more than a refinance rates? Any comparable benefit?
I use mine for investments, such as rental property down payment. You can do interest only payments and it’s a great way to access equity in your home and still be able to write off interest at tax time. Allows income property to generate more income, less payments
Jan 3, 2013
526 posts
165 upvotes
Winnipeg
They do not do second in line helocs.
Not many lenders do that. TD does though.

Taken from Google:
"Second position HELOC. This means that you can hold your mortgage with one bank and get a HELOC with another bank. A HELOC is not necessarily a “second mortgage". A "first" or "second" mortgage is used to refer to the loan's claim position."
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4567 posts
1701 upvotes
Markham
adilh53 wrote:
Jun 5th, 2019 3:03 pm
If you have to move your mortgage to tangerine, thats a deal breaker

Last i heard, tangerine only does collateral mortgages
Once it's a HELOC, it's a collateral mortgage with any lender so your point is moot.