Expired Hot Deals

Tangerine

Tangerine HISA 1.75% Offer - Targeted

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2021 6:59 pm
Jr. Member
Dec 16, 2019
165 posts
105 upvotes
MTLCPA wrote: I called in to move funds out and was offered on the spot 1.40% for 150 days.
Hmm... That's not great :/ LBC Digital also provides 1.4% for example, so might be best to use them and wait/hope that Tangerine gives a better rate next month/next promo period ?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 7, 2004
7159 posts
3617 upvotes
West GTEH!
MTLCPA wrote: I called in to move funds out and was offered on the spot 1.40% for 150 days.
If interested, EQ Bank has 1.5% for their HISA.
Or CT Bank HISA at 1.8%.
😎
Jr. Member
Jul 16, 2019
160 posts
161 upvotes
EQ Bank 3 month GICs are still better if you don't need the money immediately
Sr. Member
Aug 16, 2005
700 posts
102 upvotes
chay9220 wrote: EQ Bank 3 month GICs are still better if you don't need the money immediately
If I recall these GICs are strictly for TFSA accounts.
is Can tire bank offer still present? their website says you have to have had the account setup prior to Sep 2020.
1.8% is best so far other than EQ bank for TFSA .

I just had the manulife bank promo rate expire and am looking for alternatives. Tangerine is offering nothing.
any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2014
1182 posts
1544 upvotes
markdweasel wrote: If I recall these GICs are strictly for TFSA accounts.
is Can tire bank offer still present? their website says you have to have had the account setup prior to Sep 2020.
1.8% is best so far other than EQ bank for TFSA .

I just had the manulife bank promo rate expire and am looking for alternatives. Tangerine is offering nothing.
any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
If you already have an account with EQ @1.5%, that's your best bet right now. Alternatively, there's Canadian Tire bank @ 1.8% and Motive Financial @1.55%. Think of those 3 options as a place to park your funds until another promo comes up with Tangerine, Simplii or Manulife.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3131 posts
966 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks OP. I would not have checked if not for your post.
Newbie
Sep 18, 2018
74 posts
22 upvotes
I have a current promo expiring on the 28th. If I transfer over to EQ prior to the 28th and receive an offer will the interest accumulate based on the entire amount I deposit back to tangerine or only anything over and above what I had previously?
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2014
1182 posts
1544 upvotes
Defender219 wrote: I have a current promo expiring on the 28th. If I transfer over to EQ prior to the 28th and receive an offer will the interest accumulate based on the entire amount I deposit back to tangerine or only anything over and above what I had previously?
Tangerine takes a snapshot of the balance in your savings account. If your balance is zero for example, all funds you transfer back in are subject to the promotional interest. The tricky part is determining how many days prior to transfer your funds out. The 28th is a Sunday, EFT transfers are business days only, so in your case have everything out on Friday the 26th. Yeah, you lose 3 days interest, the alternative is not having your funds qualify if the new promo starts March 1st.
Member
User avatar
Jun 3, 2008
235 posts
228 upvotes
Newmarket
agit wrote: Tangerine offer check your insights -
Activate your special savings rate offer of 1.75%* interest now. Tangerine Savings Account(s), until June 20, 2021.
FWIW, got 2 Tangerine offers last year. Utilized both. Last one expired Nov 30.

Pulled about 2/3 of my funds out, moved to other institutions.

Received this offer about 1-2 weeks ago. Also applies to USD.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8978 posts
1917 upvotes
Phoned in tonight and surprisingly there was no wait, the Tangerine call back was done in less than 3 minutes - this should've been a sign. My offer of 1.60% expired on the 12th of February and the CSR checked my available offers and there was zip, nothing, nada. I asked if there was a way that someone could look into my account and see if anything could be done and the response was "no." Might try again during the day.

Money is safely over at Simplii until the end of March earning 2%. Didn't make any difference to the Tangerine CSR.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Sr. Member
Aug 16, 2005
700 posts
102 upvotes
flyjazz wrote: If you already have an account with EQ @1.5%, that's your best bet right now. Alternatively, there's Canadian Tire bank @ 1.8% and Motive Financial @1.55%. Think of those 3 options as a place to park your funds until another promo comes up with Tangerine, Simplii or Manulife.
Thanks. I will have to do that. will likely go to Simplii for now then Can tire after March. This gives Tangerine a message from my wallet ( a finger ).
Newbie
Sep 18, 2018
74 posts
22 upvotes
flyjazz wrote: Tangerine takes a snapshot of the balance in your savings account. If your balance is zero for example, all funds you transfer back in are subject to the promotional interest. The tricky part is determining how many days prior to transfer your funds out. The 28th is a Sunday, EFT transfers are business days only, so in your case have everything out on Friday the 26th. Yeah, you lose 3 days interest, the alternative is not having your funds qualify if the new promo starts March 1st.
Thanks, unfortunately my EQ account likely wont be setup until the end of next week so they would likely be taking the snapshot with my full amount. I have an external link to my day to day Scotiabank account, could I transfer the full amount from Tangerine and park it there until my EQ account is setup and then do another external transfer from Scotia to EQ?

If so any idea on the timing & amount limit for an external transfer out of Tangerine?
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2014
1182 posts
1544 upvotes
Defender219 wrote: Thanks, unfortunately my EQ account likely wont be setup until the end of next week so they would likely be taking the snapshot with my full amount. I have an external link to my day to day Scotiabank account, could I transfer the full amount from Tangerine and park it there until my EQ account is setup and then do another external transfer from Scotia to EQ?

If so any idea on the timing & amount limit for an external transfer out of Tangerine?
You will need to push the funds to Scotia and the limit is $50,000 per transaction, not sure if you can do more than one for the same day, or you could call in and they can make it significantly more. Generally speaking, you could move your funds from the savings account to the chequing account as Tangerine historically does not make that part of the snapshot. The timing is a bit tricky, worse case scenario, move your funds to the chequing account on Sunday the 28th, or a day or two sooner to be on the safe side. Keep in mind, there's no guarantee you'll get targeted for another promo starting March 1st, that's why it's famously known as the Tangerine lottery. Remember, targeted offers are random and you may not get another one for quite a while. If you do call in to initiate a transfer, they've been known to sometimes offer an extension at a lower rate which will exclude you from receiving targeted offers while the extension is ongoing.
Newbie
Sep 18, 2018
74 posts
22 upvotes
flyjazz wrote: You will need to push the funds to Scotia and the limit is $50,000 per transaction, not sure if you can do more than one for the same day, or you could call in and they can make it significantly more. Generally speaking, you could move your funds from the savings account to the chequing account as Tangerine historically does not make that part of the snapshot. The timing is a bit tricky, worse case scenario, move your funds to the chequing account on Sunday the 28th, or a day or two sooner to be on the safe side. Keep in mind, there's no guarantee you'll get targeted for another promo starting March 1st, that's why it's famously known as the Tangerine lottery. Remember, targeted offers are random and you may not get another one for quite a while. If you do call in to initiate a transfer, they've been known to sometimes offer an extension at a lower rate which will exclude you from receiving targeted offers while the extension is ongoing.
Great, thanks for the info, I don't have a Tangerine chequing account so I will likely try the transfer to Scotia and then over to EQ once it's ready to go.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 19, 2004
25220 posts
6899 upvotes
where I belong
Funny I randomly checked today and only realized today that I have a 2% offer expiring March 1st (oops), from Nov 2020 to March 1, 2021
Guess I'll wait for the next new (hopefully BETTER) offer after 3/1

Although, 2% is pitty vs. the super-hot stock markets, where one can make +10-20% in a day on Crypto names ;-p
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Platinum/Biz Plat 100K || Aeroplan Reserve 150K
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
16155 posts
3968 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
jerryhung wrote: Funny I randomly checked today and only realized today that I have a 2% offer expiring March 1st (oops), from Nov 2020 to March 1, 2021
Guess I'll wait for the next new (hopefully BETTER) offer after 3/1

Although, 2% is pitty vs. the super-hot stock markets, where one can make +10-20% in a day on Crypto names ;-p
Just park money in EARK.TO and BTCC.TO. Yep

Heck Tangerine Global ETF would be a better bet than just parking in a savings amount.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 6, 2003
2264 posts
81 upvotes
Presumably you're only using the HISA for money you need soon or for your emergency fund, not for any investment.
Jr. Member
Jan 28, 2008
103 posts
49 upvotes
Ontario
What is the purpose of the Tangerine RSP Savings acct? What can you buy inside of that acct?
Sorry I'm new to this. I have a Questrade Self-Directed RSP acct where I can trade stocks but I assume you can't do anything like that in the Tangerine RSP Savings acct.
Jr. Member
May 25, 2016
176 posts
50 upvotes
Get out of cash and invest...

Park your down payment if you are buying a house in 5 months and emergency cash. That's it.

I am sick of playing this low rate lottery game.

I've been buying lots of stocks since last summer, never looked back.

Governments and central banks intentionally screw up savers and reward debtors.

IF you put too much money in these saving accounts, you are the bag holders who are receiving less than inflation return and paying other people's borrowing that are getting market return and benefiting from the financial markets (be it housing or stonk markets)

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)