• May 16th, 2019 5:32 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2134 posts
1734 upvotes
Oakville, ON

Tangerine investment funds yay/or nay ?

Anyone have personal experience with tangerine investment funds...have you gained or has there been losses... looking at the balanced portfolio with mostly bonds or a bit higher medium risk ... looking to invest in them.... but would you recommend them after the mer fees ? I know there is questrade etc but prefer a complete hands off approach.. any other recommendations besides tangerine that have a hands off approach that you would consider a better small investment ? Do tell...
34 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2134 posts
1734 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Oh and do you have to pull out any gains by a certain time frame or do they become automatically reinvested ?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5154 posts
1037 upvotes
Mississauga
it is an effortless way to invest.... you basically need to know almost nothing

is it the best... no... is it the worse... no

mer is 1.07%... keep that in mind

no, you don't need to pull anything out... just leave it in there in the long term...
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
3082 posts
899 upvotes
GTA
I had tangerine funds simply because it was extremely easy to contribute if you solely bank with tangerine. You can set up auto contribution every x weeks. It's a great way to invest. You can buy anytime, sell anytime, and they automatically rebalance the portfolio. It's extremely hands off.

The MER is high compared to investing in something like XGRO or VGRO though. If you have Questrade or another investment bank, then look into other investment funds with lower MER.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2134 posts
1734 upvotes
Oakville, ON
ADRiiAN` wrote:
May 14th, 2019 11:28 am
I had tangerine funds simply because it was extremely easy to contribute if you solely bank with tangerine. You can set up auto contribution every x weeks. It's a great way to invest. You can buy anytime, sell anytime, and they automatically rebalance the portfolio. It's extremely hands off.

The MER is high compared to investing in something like XGRO or VGRO though. If you have Questrade or another investment bank, then look into other investment funds with lower MER.
The rep also mentioned a terb fee ? What exactly is that and how much is taken off with that...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2134 posts
1734 upvotes
Oakville, ON
You guys haven’t mentioned gains or losses... I really don’t trust there year to date rate of return percentages... “year to date” and probably without calculating mer fees ... still worth it gaining more than a secure gic ?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2134 posts
1734 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Oh and which one are you guys doing balanced income portfolio or higher risk
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5154 posts
1037 upvotes
Mississauga
mrfrugal83 wrote:
May 14th, 2019 11:40 am
You guys haven’t mentioned gains or losses... I really don’t trust there year to date rate of return percentages... “year to date” and probably without calculating mer fees ... still worth it gaining more than a secure gic ?
all investments come with risks... so you can have gains and losses....

gic might seem secure and safe.... but if it's below the rate of inflation, you are losing... and the opportunity of making more $ from your $ is a loss too....

you need to take risks if you are in for the long term...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2134 posts
1734 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Ducky wrote:
May 14th, 2019 11:46 am
all investments come with risks... so you can have gains and losses....

gic might seem secure and safe.... but if it's below the rate of inflation, you are losing... and the opportunity of making more $ from your $ is a loss too....

you need to take risks if you are in for the long term...
Yes but I’m looking at specifically these investment funds to see how personal experience has been for gains/losses... aware there could be losses... about riding out the wave
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5154 posts
1037 upvotes
Mississauga
mrfrugal83 wrote:
May 14th, 2019 11:44 am
Oh and which one are you guys doing balanced income portfolio or higher risk
there is no correct answer.... the portfolio they suggested was based on the risk assessment questionnaire that you did... everyone has different tolerance for risk
Jan 19, 2017
277 posts
82 upvotes
mrfrugal83 wrote:
May 14th, 2019 11:40 am
This information should be available from Tangerine. They have a PDF with the returns information.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5154 posts
1037 upvotes
Mississauga
mrfrugal83 wrote:
May 14th, 2019 11:48 am
Yes but I’m looking at specifically these investment funds to see how personal experience has been for gains/losses... aware there could be losses... about riding out the wave
it really doesn't matter what happened in the past....

but general sense is... long term investing is good....mer fees is why ppl look for other options.... but like i said, hands off approach... Tangerine is great for that
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2013
1957 posts
219 upvotes
Sidney
darXider wrote:
May 14th, 2019 11:49 am
This information should be available from Tangerine. They have a PDF with the returns information.
Exactly. The price history of each fund is available in numerous places. So just pick a date and see what the fund has done from that date.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2134 posts
1734 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Ducky wrote:
May 14th, 2019 11:49 am
there is no correct answer.... the portfolio they suggested was based on the risk assessment questionnaire that you did... everyone has different tolerance for risk
That questionnaire is too generic and really doesn’t reveal much... corporate answer looking for personalized experiences
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5154 posts
1037 upvotes
Mississauga
mrfrugal83 wrote:
May 14th, 2019 11:57 am
That questionnaire is too generic and really doesn’t reveal much... corporate answer looking for personalized experiences
it's a risk assessment... if you don't like the suggestion... go back and answer the questions differently until you get the portfolio you want...