• Jun 3rd, 2019 7:43 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2126 posts
1733 upvotes
Oakville, ON

Tangerine Investments question

I intend to put down on a lump sum in some tangerine investment funds. My question is, has anyone been able to secure a bonus of some sort when transferring/depositing funds into tangerines investment portfolio. I.e... match bonus deposit 10% , fees waived first 6 months etc ??? Anyone been successful
11 replies
Jun 28, 2018
297 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
mrfrugal83 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2019 11:27 am
No one ?
Couldn't wait 19 minutes for a response? Lol

They have promos sometimes, but if none now then you might need to wait until one comes up. From the example below it was around August to October.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/tangeri ... 0-2219273/
The Distracted Investor

Dividends through quality companies 😃 Though I usually lose money with trades :facepalm:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2126 posts
1733 upvotes
Oakville, ON
andrew4321 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2019 11:33 am
Good one Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
It’s an “example” not that anyone would get that... I did read somewhere here though people have been able to secure bonuses with lump sum deposits into tangerine investments...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2126 posts
1733 upvotes
Oakville, ON
johnnychi wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2019 11:48 am
Couldn't wait 19 minutes for a response? Lol

They have promos sometimes, but if none now then you might need to wait until one comes up. From the example below it was around August to October.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/tangeri ... 0-2219273/
No too ansty lol how about through customer reps outside their promotion period ?
Jun 28, 2018
297 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
Yea, that's always a possibility of calling. If anything they might let you know approximately when is their next promo
The Distracted Investor

Dividends through quality companies 😃 Though I usually lose money with trades :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2023 posts
261 upvotes
Canada
I don't believe I've seen the bonuses you asked about. Tangerine's promotional bonus is a usually a slightly higher rate of return when you put the money into one of their savings accounts.
Dec 15, 2005
93 posts
19 upvotes
Oshawa
You people actually believe that stuff?
-- Licensed Mutual Fund agent under PFSL Investment Canada Ltd. --
Nov 6, 2015
693 posts
287 upvotes
Guelph, ON
There actually was one promotion a while back, I had to log in to my account to remember the details (I had planned to make the investment anyways, so this was just a bonus on top).

Based on the transaction amounts, it looks like it was a 1% bonus. The conditions were you had to keep the money in for a few months to get the bonus. I made the investment July 16, and bonus amount was deposited Sep. 28.

I don't recall any new offers since then. I think it might have been just for registered accounts.
Nov 6, 2015
693 posts
287 upvotes
Guelph, ON
POLTROJAN wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2019 9:24 pm
You people actually believe that stuff?
Believe what? That banks sometimes pay bonuses? I've received them multiple times over the past couple of decades, so yes, I do believe.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
2329 posts
1082 upvotes
JoeBlack23 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2019 11:48 pm
There actually was one promotion a while back, I had to log in to my account to remember the details (I had planned to make the investment anyways, so this was just a bonus on top).

Based on the transaction amounts, it looks like it was a 1% bonus. The conditions were you had to keep the money in for a few months to get the bonus. I made the investment July 16, and bonus amount was deposited Sep. 28.

I don't recall any new offers since then. I think it might have been just for registered accounts.
2 out of 3 family member have received this 1% bonus offer at different times in the last couple of years. In the first case, the bonus was paid in extra units. In the second case, it was paid into a savings account. I don't think that there is any way of 'waiving fees' since they are built into the index fund, and I've never heard of anyone receiving 10%.

The bonuses I refer to were not for a lump sum, but for total in a time period, deposits. My strategy was always to open the account with a small amount, early in the day, because Tangerine would not guarantee that we receive "today's" price. Then once the account is open, I would make more deposits on other days before 2 PM, which was their cut-off time. In today's online world, there is really no need to restrict yourself to a lump sum deposit.