• Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2019 7:42 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2009
1182 posts
854 upvotes

Tangerine Recipes: New Automated Activity Based Saving Features

Seems like Tangerine is introducing creative new ways to save money. I just logged into my account and found a new feature called "Recipes".

Some of these are really innovative, nice to see them thinking outside the box!

22 replies
Feb 9, 2018
229 posts
150 upvotes
This is really smart thinking from them.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2018
2247 posts
1586 upvotes
As a Toronto sports fan it's going to be very hard to save money.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2406 posts
1286 upvotes
Winnipeg
Gtaphotog wrote:
May 11th, 2019 12:04 am
I think you can select "lose" as well... You'll save thousands!
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2018
2247 posts
1586 upvotes
Shawguy wrote:
May 11th, 2019 12:27 am
Ah beautiful.

I'll be saving for the next 6 generations at this rate.
Nov 8, 2009
147 posts
17 upvotes
Richmond, B.C
I dont see it in my tangerine account. Where do u guys see it?
Dec 21, 2007
587 posts
138 upvotes
Scarborough
Hmm I can see the top up being useful. I don't like to keep much in chequing so rather than getting an Orange alert below dollar x, now it can just top itself up from savings...
I am the Stig's brother's cousin's friend's former roommate.
Mar 25, 2012
792 posts
234 upvotes
Kelowna
habsfan321 wrote:
May 10th, 2019 4:00 pm
Seems like Tangerine is introducing creative new ways to save money. I just logged into my account and found a new feature called "Recipes".

Some of these are really innovative, nice to see them thinking outside the box!

Yuck...gross...no thanks. One more reason for me to close all my Tangerine accounts entirely (will keep my Tangerine Ambassador orange scarf, though)! :(

How about...maybe Interac e-Transfers, which are instant or near-instant, free and unlimited? Also, how about disclosing, via our statements or e-Statements, the ATM ID and location information like you used to when on The Exchange?

Cheers,
Doug
Mar 23, 2004
37753 posts
3969 upvotes
Markham
Gtaphotog wrote:
May 11th, 2019 12:04 am
Shawguy wrote:
May 11th, 2019 12:27 am
lmao, let me go for a pengu-win try next season lol
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Mar 25, 2012
792 posts
234 upvotes
Kelowna
When the federal Liberals, under Justin Trudeau, lose the fall 2019 federal election, transfer $100,000 from Tangerine's interest income I/E account into each of Tangerine's customers' Chequing accounts.

They will be inundated with customer applications and quite likely bankrupt themselves. ;)

Cheers,
Doug
Mar 23, 2004
37753 posts
3969 upvotes
Markham
klam86 wrote:
May 11th, 2019 12:54 am
I dont see it in my tangerine account. Where do u guys see it?
Indeed, i dont see it either.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
3961 posts
1413 upvotes
Global Village
It would be funny if they tried a "when my team loses lock x amount of my money for a year," people will get more angry when their teams lose and Tangerine would get more GIC's..
All day I dream about sports
Mar 1, 2019
10 posts
4 upvotes
Very similar to what motusbank offers. Although I'm curious if you can set up multiple "Pay Yourself First" recipes. As far as I know motusbank only allows you to set up one of it's equivalent "Auto-save" feature.
Feb 1, 2012
974 posts
1032 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
This is kinda silly. I suppose it's OK for a little bit of extra savings for vacation or some item you are saving for.

But personal finance really requires disciplined budgeting and saving to succeed, especially long term for retirement. Tangerine should focus on teaching customers how to budget, and how to save for retirement. Simple items like saving 20% of your gross income or 15 % of your net income always from the time you begin earning money will do more to help people have successful long-term planning and financially secure retirement.

It's just not as much fun as randomly skimming off a bit of money every time your team wins, or saving whatever is left from your coffee purchase. There is a recipe called "Pay Yourself First" but it's the last one on the list, so probably would not get used as much as the other "fun" ones.

Whatever...
Invest your time actively and your money passively.