Hot Deals

Tangerine

Sign up tangerine credit card to get 110$ rebate plus $100 after spending $1000 in 2 months

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2021 11:13 pm
[OP]
Member
Jul 15, 2021
250 posts
515 upvotes
Vancouver,bc

[Tangerine] Sign up tangerine credit card to get 110$ rebate plus $100 after spending $1000 in 2 months

Deal Link:
Expiry:
September 30, 2021
Retailer:
Tangerine
More offers from Tangerine
The 10% for 2 months expires sept 14
27 replies
Newbie
Aug 3, 2020
33 posts
22 upvotes
Yeah I tried. They rejected b/c I am not PR or citizen.
[OP]
Member
Jul 15, 2021
250 posts
515 upvotes
Vancouver,bc
TurquoiseA wrote: Yeah I tried. They rejected b/c I am not PR or citizen.
I think that make sense they won’t be able to find any credit history
Member
Aug 1, 2016
394 posts
717 upvotes
Tangerine usually has some attractive initial offers but I recommend staying away. Their customer service is absolutely atrocious. It's like they have a call center for the sake of having one. It always takes like 40+ mins to get someone on the line. Also God forbid you run into any issues. I had some issues with a merchant and my world mastercard that I got from the last time the deal was posted here. The rep basically told me to take a hike, said he absolutely can't do anything and suggested I hang up because im wasting time. Ended up cancelling the card recently these guys can suck a fat one.
Newbie
Aug 3, 2020
33 posts
22 upvotes
89lilangel wrote: I think that make sense they won’t be able to find any credit history
I've been here for 5 years with some full credit score. I have my own savings. I am still a student. I've been with them for 1 year. meh
Member
Dec 2, 2019
298 posts
680 upvotes
I have been with Tangerine for 4 years. No issues so far. Their credit card has some nice benefits. IMO, worth looking.
Sr. Member
Sep 26, 2008
707 posts
238 upvotes
DannyH17 wrote: Tangerine usually has some attractive initial offers but I recommend staying away. Their customer service is absolutely atrocious. It's like they have a call center for the sake of having one. It always takes like 40+ mins to get someone on the line. Also God forbid you run into any issues. I had some issues with a merchant and my world mastercard that I got from the last time the deal was posted here. The rep basically told me to take a hike, said he absolutely can't do anything and suggested I hang up because im wasting time. Ended up cancelling the card recently these guys can suck a fat one.
Yeah, can't expect much from these guys. Low fees, low budget, low service. If you're ever worried you might need to do a chargeback or dispute with a merchant, always use an Amex card.

I sent a message and it took almost a week to get a reply from them about fees on a savings account. Except they replied with fees for a chequing account; they don't even read! :facepalm:

Only use their card for things you rarely, if ever, dispute. Like fuel, or groceries, etc.
Member
Sep 12, 2018
251 posts
179 upvotes
Edmonton
TurquoiseA wrote: Yeah I tried. They rejected b/c I am not PR or citizen.
I'm neither a PR nor a Citizen. They approved me with 2,000 credit limit. I think it might be related to your credit history.
Newbie
Aug 3, 2020
33 posts
22 upvotes
IshfaqueR4678 wrote: I'm neither a PR nor a Citizen. They approved me with 2,000 credit limit. I think it might be related to your credit history.
My credit score according to CreditKarma is 804.
Member
Sep 12, 2018
251 posts
179 upvotes
Edmonton
TurquoiseA wrote: My credit score according to CreditKarma is 804.
It's not about score only. It's related to length of credit history as well. I had almost 2.5 years of credit history before I applied. I believe that played a role too.
Newbie
Aug 3, 2020
33 posts
22 upvotes
IshfaqueR4678 wrote: It's not about score only. It's related to length of credit history as well. I had almost 2.5 years of credit history before I applied. I believe that played a role too.
I had 4+ years of credit history and I don't have any default.
Member
Sep 12, 2018
251 posts
179 upvotes
Edmonton
TurquoiseA wrote: I had 4+ years of credit history and I don't have any default.
In that case, I've no idea. Tangerine does seem to have more weird criteria, so that's another thing as well.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 8, 2007
1633 posts
1651 upvotes
Devilmonk7402 wrote: There are MUCH better promos from other companies
Can you link me to them that have no annual fees, as good as promo as this and will give me 2% cash back?
Newbie
Jun 25, 2021
10 posts
27 upvotes
89lilangel wrote: Which better promo?
nicolascon wrote: Can you link me to them that have no annual fees, as good as promo as this and will give me 2% cash back?
Sure thing

https://www.reddit.com/r/churningcanada ... urce=share

This list constantly updates, but it's a great reference.

And keep in mind that 2% cashback from tangerine is strictly for two categories. Anything outside that is 0.5%. The tangerine promo is okay if the majority of your purchases are strictly within those two categories, but otherwise its meh. Keep in mind the 10% is only valid for 2 months, up to $100, so you have to spend $500 a month to reach it

Although In my opinion there's really no demerits to getting a credit card with a yearly fee, the benefits FAR outweigh the cost. Examples:

* I've had my Amex Cobalt card for 1.5 years now ($10 a month, AKA $180 for 18 months). In that time I've made back around $1200 in direct cashback and paid a total of $60 since first year was free. If you include the benefits and insurance into the equation, I've also saved another $600~ from Purchase Protection and Buyers Protection (reumbursed for a stolen backpack, and Pixel 2XL that stopped working after the 2 year google warrenty ended)

Theres also no stupid "holds" on the cashback. Idk how Tangerine works, but some banks only let you redeem it every 3 months, or once you've reached a certain amount of cashback. With amex you can literally redeem it the same day

* Amex Aeroplan (strictly for travel, not exactly cashback) I got 1 months ago and is $130 annually. Already have 8500 points, or $85 (at bare minimum redemption. But you can get up to 0.20c per point). The going estimate I believe was $1800 worth of points after 1 year

* most of the items on that link also offer FYF (First Year Free). Strictly cashback, I can see Amex cashback preffered gives 10% cashback up to $400, then 2% on ANYTHING else afterwards. First year free. Although the cobalt card is definitely the better offer here since its 5% cashback on groceries and food

* Amex simply cashback is free regardless and is 4% cashback up to $200. And instead of only lasting 2 months, you have 6 months to reach that. Afterwards it's 1.25% on everything. Otherwise you'd just have to decide if you spend enough in the 2% catagoeies you pick for tangerine to be worth it
[OP]
Member
Jul 15, 2021
250 posts
515 upvotes
Vancouver,bc
Devilmonk7402 wrote: Sure thing

https://www.reddit.com/r/churningcanada ... urce=share

This list constantly updates, but it's a great reference.

And keep in mind that 2% cashback from tangerine is strictly for two categories. Anything outside that is 0.5%. The tangerine promo is okay if the majority of your purchases are strictly within those two categories, but otherwise its meh. Keep in mind the 10% is only valid for 2 months, up to $100, so you have to spend $500 a month to reach it

Although In my opinion there's really no demerits to getting a credit card with a yearly fee, the benefits FAR outweigh the cost. Examples:

* I've had my Amex Cobalt card for 1.5 years now ($10 a month, AKA $180 for 18 months). In that time I've made back around $1200 in direct cashback and paid a total of $60 since first year was free. If you include the benefits and insurance into the equation, I've also saved another $600~ from Purchase Protection and Buyers Protection (reumbursed for a stolen backpack, and Pixel 2XL that stopped working after the 2 year google warrenty ended)

Theres also no stupid "holds" on the cashback. Idk how Tangerine works, but some banks only let you redeem it every 3 months, or once you've reached a certain amount of cashback. With amex you can literally redeem it the same day

* Amex Aeroplan (strictly for travel, not exactly cashback) I got 1 months ago and is $130 annually. Already have 8500 points, or $85 (at bare minimum redemption. But you can get up to 0.20c per point). The going estimate I believe was $1800 worth of points after 1 year

* most of the items on that link also offer FYF (First Year Free). Strictly cashback, I can see Amex cashback preffered gives 10% cashback up to $400, then 2% on ANYTHING else afterwards. First year free. Although the cobalt card is definitely the better offer here since its 5% cashback on groceries and food

* Amex simply cashback is free regardless and is 4% cashback up to $200. And instead of only lasting 2 months, you have 6 months to reach that. Afterwards it's 1.25% on everything. Otherwise you'd just have to decide if you spend enough in the 2% catagoeies you pick for tangerine to be worth it
I am just looking for the promotion get the deal and then close the credit card . Is there any credit card that will give me promo to open other than Amex . I signed up for neo to get $ 100 already too
Newbie
Jun 25, 2021
10 posts
27 upvotes
As in open, get the bonus, and close the card the next day (or a year later but never actually using it?

Most cards are geared towards reaching a minimum spend, like this tangerine card is a "cashback" so you obviously have to spend to get it beyond the $100 promo

Either way if there is, it'd be in that link I sent. I don't particularly feel like doing the research for you beyond the essay I wrote above lol

- - -
All that being said, I would highly advice against doing the first (if you're closing it right away or without using it). Each time you open up a credit card your hurting your credit score a bit. I personally wouldn't do it for chump change like $100. Opening credit cards have some of the best promotions you'll ever see that's "free money"

"churning" is a community of people that basically go through credit cards just for the promo. To an extent I guess I am too. But even we set limits like one credit card every year or two so we don't **** our score. So to me it's a waste to use that entire 1-2 years worth of promotion for $100 when you could easily get upwards of $1000
Newbie
Oct 20, 2014
35 posts
15 upvotes
Behchoko, NT
Devilmonk7402 wrote: Sure thing

https://www.reddit.com/r/churningcanada ... urce=share

This list constantly updates, but it's a great reference.

And keep in mind that 2% cashback from tangerine is strictly for two categories. Anything outside that is 0.5%. The tangerine promo is okay if the majority of your purchases are strictly within those two categories, but otherwise its meh. Keep in mind the 10% is only valid for 2 months, up to $100, so you have to spend $500 a month to reach it

Although In my opinion there's really no demerits to getting a credit card with a yearly fee, the benefits FAR outweigh the cost. Examples:

* I've had my Amex Cobalt card for 1.5 years now ($10 a month, AKA $180 for 18 months). In that time I've made back around $1200 in direct cashback and paid a total of $60 since first year was free. If you include the benefits and insurance into the equation, I've also saved another $600~ from Purchase Protection and Buyers Protection (reumbursed for a stolen backpack, and Pixel 2XL that stopped working after the 2 year google warrenty ended)
I looked the up Amex Cobalt card and it says it does not give cashback. Can you explain what you're doing?
Newbie
Jun 25, 2021
10 posts
27 upvotes
nonameguy321 wrote: I looked the up Amex Cobalt card and it says it does not give cashback. Can you explain what you're doing?
It gives "Membership Rewards Points" which are highly flexible points that can be redeemed in a variety of ways: one of which is a flat rate of 1000 points = $10.

So for example, the welcome bonus is 50,000 points if you meet all the spending requirements. This translates to $500

Basic math says if you meet the spending requirements, you also get anywhere from 7500 points to 37500 points, depending on where you spent it. We can go in the middle and say 18750 points

The GCR promo makes the first year of the card free. So you're also saving $130 or whatever it is.

Idk about you but I'm seeing a card that's giving $687.50 (or 68750 points) for no annual fee. Close the card after the first year if you want. I personally kept it because regardless it's still the best rates of any credit card for the annual fee, and includes insurance.

I believe the best "value" is converting those points to Aeroplan points at a 1:1 ratio, since Aeroplan points are worth more. But that's not "cashback" so I won't talk about it

I highly suggest you don't limit your search to "cashback" credit cards, as most cards have some method of turning their points into direct cash regardless
Images
  • upload.png

Top