Tangerine

A special 4.75% Savings rate* is coming soon

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2023 3:13 am
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
7046 posts
4491 upvotes
THEAVS wrote: I received the 5% offer as well. My question is that I transferred my money to EQ on Saturday January 8th (the transaction then posted on the 9th). The new offer states the interest will be on amounts over the account balance as of January 9th. If the transfer happened on the 9th, when are they looking at the account balance, at the start of the 9th or the end?
I believe it's end of day. Check T&C or call them to make sure that is the case
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
24609 posts
12672 upvotes
Toronto
I want to move a large sum from Scotiabank to BMO for a promotion. How can I accomplish this with no / minimal fees?

EQ account is not in the correct name (my wife) so don't want to use it.
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Nov 21, 2007
517 posts
623 upvotes
Peterborough
mkl38s wrote: I believe it's end of day. Check T&C or call them to make sure that is the case
Looks like it is end of day:

Period is the excess of (i) the sum of end-of-day balances in all Applicable Accounts per Applicable Account Type (excluding Promotional Interest) over (ii) the sum of end-of-day balances in all Applicable Accounts per Applicable Account Type as at January 9, 2023, to a maximum of $1,000,000 (in the currency of the Applicable Account), subject to the exclusions in Section 10 below.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9095 posts
5059 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
DaVibe wrote: I want to move a large sum from Scotiabank to BMO for a promotion. How can I accomplish this with no / minimal fees?

EQ account is not in the correct name (my wife) so don't want to use it.
Personal cheque?
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
Dec 15, 2022
149 posts
118 upvotes
THEAVS wrote: I received the 5% offer as well. My question is that I transferred my money to EQ on Saturday January 8th (the transaction then posted on the 9th). The new offer states the interest will be on amounts over the account balance as of January 9th. If the transfer happened on the 9th, when are they looking at the account balance, at the start of the 9th or the end?
What rate on EQ?

I'm not getting anything on Trangerine, CIBC is new account only, no luck on HSBC Extension, nothing on Simplii.
Can only lead a horse to water...
Nov 21, 2007
517 posts
623 upvotes
Peterborough
DanDurino wrote: What rate on EQ?

I'm not getting anything on Trangerine, CIBC is new account only, no luck on HSBC Extension, nothing on Simplii.
2.5% in regular savings, 3% in TFSA.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2004
1197 posts
822 upvotes
Edmonton
colavs19 wrote: CASH.TO has a 0.13% MER which actually equates to 4.65. 4.75>4.65.
You may also lose a couple cents per share on the spread if you need to liquidate quickly.
Pretty sure yield is calculated post MER. Would love to be proven wrong if I am though.
Previous wins:
-Fujifilm Finepix Z10FD 7.2mp (Green) 210$
-2x Xbox 360 (Oct 29 & Nov 1) 300$
-2x EA SPORTS
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9095 posts
5059 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
DanDurino wrote: What rate on EQ?

Why not HSBC redeemable 1 year GIC for 4.25%? You can cash it after 90 days.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Dec 15, 2022
149 posts
118 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Why not HSBC redeemable 1 year GIC for 4.25%? You can cash it after 90 days.
Thanks!! I didnt know it was a option lol -- was looking at Hubert's cashable or Saven's 3.75%

Can you link me to where that is?

Is this it?

https://www.hsbc.ca/investments/gic/pro ... edeemable/

At the top it says:

Celebrate the Lunar New Year with 4.38% per year on a 1-year TFSA redeemable GIC or a Canadian dollar 1-year redeemable, non-registered GIC.
Worry-free investing starts here. Limited time offer ends on March 31, 2023. Terms apply

It says:

Interest is calculated daily, not compounded, and is paid at time of redemption or maturity.

Your Redeemable GIC can be redeemed on or after 90 days with no interest penalty11 View footnote 1.

BUT

At the bottom it says

Check today's rates
Interest paid at maturity, not compounded.
Term Length
Interest Rate (min. $500)
Available for 1 year term only.
2.50%

So I'm not seeing 4.25%, I'm seeing 4.38% cashable with conflicting info that says 2.5?

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9095 posts
5059 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
DanDurino wrote: Thanks!! I didnt know it was a option lol -- was looking at Hubert's cashable or Saven's 3.75%

Can you link me to where that is?

Is this it?

https://www.hsbc.ca/investments/gic/pro ... edeemable/

At the top it says:

Celebrate the Lunar New Year with 4.38% per year on a 1-year TFSA redeemable GIC or a Canadian dollar 1-year redeemable, non-registered GIC.
Worry-free investing starts here. Limited time offer ends on March 31, 2023. Terms apply

It says:

Interest is calculated daily, not compounded, and is paid at time of redemption or maturity.

Your Redeemable GIC can be redeemed on or after 90 days with no interest penalty11 View footnote 1.

BUT

At the bottom it says

Check today's rates
Interest paid at maturity, not compounded.
Term Length
Interest Rate (min. $500)
Available for 1 year term only.
2.50%

So I'm not seeing 4.25%, I'm seeing 4.38% cashable with conflicting info that says 2.5?

Thanks!
Yes that is the one.
Wow. They upped it to 4.38%.
2.5% is the regular rate. 4.38% is the bonus rate that you are getting.
Dec 15, 2022
149 posts
118 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Yes that is the one.
Wow. They upped it to 4.38%.
2.5% is the regular rate. 4.38% is the bonus rate that you are getting.

How long does this process take? Hubert is 0.07% higher which comes out to $900 more interest over the 90 day period.

The catch is I will need to cash it out at 91 day mark or risk being locked in at and get 0.00% interest at early cashout between quarters.

I'm already with HSBC their 5.05% rate with me ends on January 27.

Alternatively also wondering if it makes sense to cash out to Saven (3.75% for a week and see if another Tangerine promotion triggers...)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9095 posts
5059 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
DanDurino wrote: How long does this process take? Hubert is 0.07% higher which comes out to $900 more interest over the 90 day period.

The catch is I will need to cash it out at 91 day mark or risk being locked in at and get 0.00% interest at early cashout between quarters.

I'm already with HSBC their 5.05% rate with me ends on January 27.

Alternatively also wondering if it makes sense to cash out to Saven (3.75% for a week and see if another Tangerine promotion triggers...)
What do you mean by how long?
You just click buy redeemable GIC online and it is done. You can pull out the money after 90 days to 1 year. If Hubert is $900 more then by all means use Hubert.
Just set a reminder in calendar to pull out the money.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
1635 posts
2203 upvotes
Mississauga
Does anyone know the pull limit from Meridian? I know the push limit is 10k per day.
Telus $30/25gb x 3 lines, $10/Talk& Text line - 24 mths
300 LD Can/US minutes, 2000 LD minutes to India, Unlimited CAN-Int'l Text ($0), 0$ smartwatch plan
Rogers $44.99 /24 mths, Ignite internet
CIBC, Tang and EQ
Feb 26, 2003
608 posts
54 upvotes
jadoogar wrote: Does anyone know the pull limit from Meridian? I know the push limit is 10k per day.
I think it is also 10k. But if you call them it is unlimited. No hassle but takes a few days.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
1716 posts
830 upvotes
Toronto
DanDurino wrote: Hubert is 0.07% higher which comes out to $900 more interest over the 90 day period.
You have over 5 million dollars to deposit? 5 million at 0.07% annual rate at 90 days is around $863.
Amerifriend threads need to include instructions on how to acquire an amerifriend. :confused:
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
1716 posts
830 upvotes
Toronto
jadoogar wrote: I received a promotional offer of 5% on all my accounts from Jan. 10, 2023 till May 31, 2023. This includes TFSA Savings, RSP Savings, US$ Savings and HISA accounts this morning in my insights. This is on new deposits as I had emptied out all my accounts. Please check your insights today!
I accepted the 4.75% "all balance" offer. 5% is better than 4.75%, but my guess is that even if I had not accepted it, it will sit there as an open offer until Jan 31, making it impossible to also receive this 5% "new money" offer.
Amerifriend threads need to include instructions on how to acquire an amerifriend. :confused:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7637 posts
1578 upvotes
Toronto
DaVibe wrote: Unfortunately the account doesn't have cheques and I don't appreciate the $60 order fee (or whatever it is). Hmm, will consider.
Lots of banks provide free cheques. I've never paid for a cheque book since online banks were a thing.