Special Interest Rate on new deposits until January 31, 2022 (1.4%) YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 8th, 2021 1:57 pm
[OP]
Nov 23, 2015
17 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto

[Tangerine] Special Interest Rate on new deposits until January 31, 2022 (1.4%) YMMV

Deal Link:
Expiry:
September 30, 2021
Retailer:
Tangerine
More offers from Tangerine
Logged in this morning and found this deal under insights. It is YMMV as I received this offer and my wife did not. Also not sure if the special rate varies from person to person. Thought I'd post since it's the best rate going for a savings account for now (higher than eq bank at 1.25%).

I know 1.4% isn't that great considering you can get much better returns by investing in other ways, but if you have some money parked, might as well make the most of it. From the full terms, this is only for existing customers. For new clients, there is a better offer at 2% for 5 months and $200 as a sign up bonus.

Make sure you activate the offer before depositing any money. You must activate the offer before September 30, 2021 to be eligible.

Terms below:

Get your money working overtime at a special rate.
Earn more interest with your special savings rate until January 31, 2022

You’re earning 1.40% * interest on new deposits to your Tangerine Savings Account(s), Tax-Free Savings Account(s), RSP Savings Account(s) and US$ Savings Account(s) until January 31, 2022. Why not move money to your Account(s), or open a new Account, to make the most of your special rate?

Here’s how it works:

We totalled up the balances of your eligible Savings, TFSA, RSP Savings, and US$ Savings Account(s) as they were on September 6, 2021 to get your total balances per Account Type
From September 7, 2021 to January 31, 2022, you’ll earn your special interest rate on new deposits over your total balances calculated on September 6, 2021 (up to $1,000,000† per Account Type)
The rest of your Account balance will earn the current posted rate
Disclaimer

*The Tangerine Savings Interest Offer of 1.40% (the “Offer”) is available to existing Tangerine Clients who have received this communication directly from Tangerine and who activate the Offer online by September 30, 2021. The Offer is available on Eligible Deposits made between September 7, 2021 and January 31, 2022 of up to $1,000,000 per Applicable Account Type (in the currency of the Applicable Account). However, deposits made into registered Applicable Accounts through a T2033 form will not begin to earn the Promotional Interest Rate until the funds are actually received by Tangerine, and will earn interest at the applicable Posted Rate before then. The Promotional Interest Rate is an annualized rate, calculated daily and paid monthly. This Offer, including interest rates, may change or be cancelled without notice.
50 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
2990 posts
1937 upvotes
Thanks Op, got it too.

Duca has 1.5% but this one will be useful too.
Nov 11, 2015
160 posts
75 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Nothing for me, but I had the spring offer. I never get them back to back.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2009
1518 posts
288 upvotes
Surrey, BC
Yup I got it too after moving all my money out of my savings about a month ago
Jul 7, 2013
877 posts
1215 upvotes
Nothing for me but appreciate the OP sharing where/how to find if we got the offer to save us time - upvoted of course.

cheers,
:)
Oct 30, 2012
357 posts
710 upvotes
I don't think I've gotten an offer in over 3 years now
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2015
1962 posts
1733 upvotes
I didn’t get anything, called an agent within 30s, and was given 1% only, even though I mentioned Simplii’s 2%

She sounded very very depressed so I don’t wanna talk with her anymore.

I’ll park my money at Simplii this round, and my USD at EQ
Jul 5, 2015
99 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks for sharing op. Again no offers for me. Haven't received anything past 2yrs+ now, rejections when asked for any promos and after being on 0.1% so long I recently moved all my money out to EQ and other investment locations. I used to like Tangerine for simple use and nice rates but having hard time liking it nowadays.
Last edited by uwengdori on Sep 7th, 2021 10:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
1385 posts
538 upvotes
Toronto
So these offers such as Simpliis 2%, does it only earn 2% for a certain amount of time?
Jun 29, 2005
239 posts
72 upvotes
Edmonton
Tangerine is no longer the bank it used to be.

I have the 1.5% promo rate on my emergency fund account with a sizeable amount of funds. Last month I noticed I was just getting pennies in interest instead of the 1.5% promo.

When I called into Tangerine, they told me that because my paycheques were first hitting my chequing account, before I moved to the HISA account, all of my deposits were not eligible for the promo rate. It doesn't matter that they were sitting in the savings account for months. She totally agreed it was a pretty ridiculous fineprint, but it was set by the higher ups.

After being a Tangerine client for 15 years, back when it was ING, I moved to a different bank that actually gives the interest rates they promote.
Oct 17, 2015
185 posts
205 upvotes
Ajax
Simplii savings account can provide you 2%,if you select for promotional rate.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1195 posts
578 upvotes
Kitchener. Ontario
Crypto interest rates are insane. Could convert your money to a stable coin like USDT and get 7%+ in interest
May 7, 2018
47 posts
21 upvotes
Markham, ON
Ay, received it. Thanks!
Tangerine
Public Mobile $25/1GB
Oct 17, 2015
185 posts
205 upvotes
Ajax
ed7258 wrote: @neelpa how to get 2% at simplii?
Just login to your simplii account or call CSR to confirm that you have promotional rate in your account.
Aug 10, 2017
121 posts
33 upvotes
neelpa wrote: Just login to your simplii account or call CSR to confirm that you have promotional rate in your account.
Thanks, If I see nothing :(. Does it make sense to call to rep and ask for promo rate?
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2010
3497 posts
1279 upvotes
Montreal
moved everything out since the start of the month, didn't get it too bad for Tangerine lol