Expired Hot Deals

Tangerine

Tangerine - 1.84% Posted Mortgage rate - 5Y Fixed, Uninsured for New or Moved mortgages

Jan 22, 2019
353 posts
288 upvotes
I'm refinancing. Does this qualify? I'd be moving my mortgage over from Scotiabank.
Nov 17, 2010
328 posts
354 upvotes
EarthViews wrote: I'm refinancing. Does this qualify? I'd be moving my mortgage over from Scotiabank.
Same question. So far, have not been offered less than 2.04 on a refinance for 25 years.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2020
1001 posts
4555 upvotes
Vancouver Island
I'm still negotiating for Posted less 0.1% but today my "Online Contract" at Tangerine changed to 1.78% (5Y, Fixed, Uninsured) and the last "Cash to help with closing costs" was $1500 (Up from $500 on original application with the 1st representative.)

I haven't heard from RBC in 2 weeks. The last time we spoke they were going to try to beat Tangerine's previous rate of 1.89% (5Y, Fixed, Uninsured)
(And they said they would try to match Tangerine's HELOC of Prime less 0.1% (Sept 23 2020 Prime = 2.45%)
Oct 6, 2018
440 posts
638 upvotes
ojastejo wrote: Tangerine is offering me 1.79 fixed 5 years. TD is offering 1.74 fixed 4 years. Can someone please tell me which one is better? Thank you!
The 5 year fixed is better because you're still in a great rate for the extra year.
Aug 20, 2015
184 posts
78 upvotes
Calgary
when you put in an application with Tangerine for this, do they do a credit check and everything too? Or just a preliminary check?
Not sure if i should fill out this application before I can talk to a broker to see their options

I have a renewal coming up soon.

I haven't had a broker bring up tangerine so maybe they dont work with mortgage brokers? these rates and the HELOC rate is very attractive to me. Collateral mortgage or not. Hmm...
Apr 18, 2017
404 posts
403 upvotes
Nanaimo
Can anyone tell me in tangerine offers a 30yr amort. ? Also is the 1.79 fixed for insured as well?
Apr 18, 2017
404 posts
403 upvotes
Nanaimo
For the experts our there: Looking for the lowest rate 30yr am, 5yr fixed, 20% down
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
8377 posts
900 upvotes
Tangerine offered me 1.74% 5 year fixed uninsured, home value >1m. No cash back but they waive the appraisal.

They are fair penalty and HELOC is 0.6% lower than major banks. Seems worth it even without Cash back.
Last edited by elty on Oct 1st, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
October 2015 for sale, PM for details!
PS3 EA Sports Active 2 $20
195-65-15 Winter tire with alloy wheel $500
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
8377 posts
900 upvotes
elitekillah wrote: when you put in an application with Tangerine for this, do they do a credit check and everything too? Or just a preliminary check?
Not sure if i should fill out this application before I can talk to a broker to see their options

I have a renewal coming up soon.

I haven't had a broker bring up tangerine so maybe they dont work with mortgage brokers? these rates and the HELOC rate is very attractive to me. Collateral mortgage or not. Hmm...
Fill up the application, but stop at the page that ask your consent for credit check. Call and they will see you already started an application and will offer you something on the phone.
Dec 3, 2016
129 posts
94 upvotes
elty wrote: Tangerine offered me 1.74% 5 year fixed uninsured, home value >1m. No cash back but they waive the appraisal.

They are fair penalty and HELOC is 0.6% lower than major banks. Seems worth it even without Cash back.
Hey can you post a screen shot of your rate without the personal details so that we can use it to try to get a lender to match.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
8377 posts
900 upvotes
steviee32m wrote: Hey can you post a screen shot of your rate without the personal details so that we can use it to try to get a lender to match.
It was over the phone.
May 10, 2015
65 posts
101 upvotes
Thanks for posting this thread. I emailed my branch manager contact at bmo saying what Tangerine was offering. He offered me 1.67% in lieu of any cash back.
Jul 21, 2017
148 posts
30 upvotes
JustinCredible222 wrote: Thanks for posting this thread. I emailed my branch manager contact at bmo saying what Tangerine was offering. He offered me 1.67% in lieu of any cash back.
Ammortization period ?
Insured or uninsured ?
Renewal or new ?
May 10, 2015
65 posts
101 upvotes
5 yr closed fixed. uninsured, renewal.
I PM'd you, but its just through the local branch manager.
Jul 21, 2017
148 posts
30 upvotes
Looking for a CIBC rep for best rates for a straightforward renewal .Current lender is also CIBC .

Any leads ?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2823 posts
1410 upvotes
is it possible to get double up payments with tangerine? Weird how scotia offers it but they don't appear to
Feb 2, 2018
124 posts
28 upvotes
JustinCredible222 wrote: 5 yr closed fixed. uninsured, renewal.
I PM'd you, but its just through the local branch manager.
Hi can you please PM your contact? Thank you.
Also, is your mortgage current with BMO? My mortgage is with RBC currently, would I qualify the offer you got?
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2406 posts
1653 upvotes
aaleemm wrote:
Good analysis . But the million dollar question remains unanswered : If one has to get the mortgage today , keeping in view current rates , spread between fixed and variable being only 0.1% and potential 2nd covid wave already started , what is the best bet - Fixed or variable , keeping break penalties aside ?
Covid or no Covid, you should be thinking of what you can afford then stretching it out to x% if you sign variable

When I signed a 2.59% fixed rate during the height of 2017, I was confident enough that I could afford it living a life where I could still have a vacation, visit RFD, etc.
It's tempting to switch right now tbh but the penalties are too much. I put 20% dp on my home to avoid paying the insurance. It just didnt make any sense to put in anything lower when I had the $ available.

Leave the WHAT IFs to the analysts and follow your bank account. If you think variable is fine atm then go for it but stretch out the rate for your worst case scenario.