Tangerine 2.50% savings interest + $250 for payroll enrolment - if Raptors win

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2020 3:45 am
Sep 15, 2019
439 posts
1475 upvotes
High
From the terms and conditions-

“Deposits categorized under the Canadian Payment Association code as payroll, listed below, qualify for the Offer. In addition, Pension, Employment Insurance, Old Age Security, Canadian Pension Plan, Workers Compensation, Parental Assistance and Income Security Benefit deposits qualify for the Offer.

CPA CODE CPA TYPE DESCRIPTION
200 Payroll Deposit
201 Special Payroll
202 Vacation Payroll
204 Advance Payroll
205 Commission Payroll
206 Bonus Payroll
207 Adjustment Payroll
230 Pension
231 Federal Pension
232 Provincial Pension
233 Private Pension
272 Retirement Income Fund
310 Canada Pension Plan
311 Old Age Security
313 Canadian Pension Commission
315 Public Service Superannuation
316 Canadian Forces Superannuation
318 Employment Insurance
603 Income Security Benefit
606 Workers' Compensation Board
612 Parental Insurance”

These are the types of direct deposits that would count towards the $250/$200 bonus. I’m still not sure if the Gst credit/ Trillium benefits some people get every month would trigger the offer or not. Can someone please confirm?
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2012
1551 posts
1096 upvotes
Vancouver, BC Canada
Meh I'll take the free McDonald's fries instead.
Nov 22, 2019
568 posts
431 upvotes
Can any of these Deposits be self directed ? I don't have a job currently hence can't show a recurring payroll deposit.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2008
1275 posts
252 upvotes
sneh88 wrote: I wish I had some people's wonders :)
most of these promo lately seem to cap up at 50k. most of people are keeping their dp which most of the times is more than 50k.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
24036 posts
9548 upvotes
Socially Distanced
darkesha wrote: keeping their dp which most of the times is more than 50k.
dp?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Jul 30, 2016
739 posts
307 upvotes
lovesong wrote: Any deals for existing customers?
Sadly NO. I had 2.5% then it changed to 2.25% and now it’s 1.6%. Sucks.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2162 posts
1974 upvotes
Ottawa
sneh88 wrote: good morning, as time goes by, still no hard pull on those who have already applied?..appreciate any DP. :)
My wife and I both moved everything to Tangerine a few weeks ago as part of this promo. Collectively, we have 2 checking accounts, 2 TFSA, and one Savings account. We'll consolidate the checking accounts after she gets her $250.

Neither of us received a HP.

Before we signed up, I called Tangerine to confirm that they only do a soft check.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
2591 posts
2101 upvotes
Cambridge
Can anyone comment on using this as a main chequing account? TD now has a monthly fee of $16 for less than 4k in the account and that's just 4k sitting there instead of generating any interest. Currently have a chequing and a savings account with TD. There's no issue closing both of those but keeping my cc, rrsp and tsfa with them (TD), is there?

Edit: never switched banks before :/
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2162 posts
1974 upvotes
Ottawa
orbitdesign wrote: Can anyone comment on using this as a main chequing account? TD now has a monthly fee of $16 for less than 4k in the account and that's just 4k sitting there instead of generating any interest. Currently have a chequing and a savings account with TD. There's no issue closing both of those but keeping my cc, rrsp and tsfa with them (TD), is there?
There won't be a problem with keeping your investment accounts with TD.

We are now using Tangerine as our primary chequing account. I'm finding it better than TD. I can set up all sorts of notifications that I couldn't with TD, so I know whenever anything happens in the account. Free checks (first book of 50) and unlimited transactions. No complaints yet.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
2591 posts
2101 upvotes
Cambridge
Thanks! So unlimited transactions, unlimited e-transfers and no fees? Also, it's one account, correct? Chequing/Savings in one, with the 2.5% promo interest for that account?
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2162 posts
1974 upvotes
Ottawa
orbitdesign wrote: Thanks! So unlimited transactions, unlimited e-transfers and no fees? Also, it's one account, correct? Chequing/Savings in one, with the 2.5% promo interest for that account?
Chequing and Savings are two separate accounts. Tangerine doesn't let you pay bills out of the Savings account.

For this promo, you need to open a Chequing account and send payroll deposits there. You also need to open a separate Savings account, but I believe it can be a Savings or a TFSA.
Last edited by Dynatos on Sep 8th, 2020 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
2591 posts
2101 upvotes
Cambridge
So you can't pay bills from the chequing... do they let you pay them from a savings account?
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2162 posts
1974 upvotes
Ottawa
orbitdesign wrote: So you can't pay bills from the chequing... do they let you pay them from a savings account?
Typo corrected. They don't let you bill pay out of the Savings.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
2591 posts
2101 upvotes
Cambridge
Alright, thanks! That makes sense, haha. Will probably make the switch.

Edit: to re-confirm... this is just a soft check for both chequin and savings accounts, correct?
Feb 12, 2018
9 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Just signed up... Is there a way to see your rate on the savings account and to confirm you have the 2.5%?
I put $100 in there just to see, but I can't seem to find rate.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
2591 posts
2101 upvotes
Cambridge
lifewithjson wrote: Just signed up... Is there a way to see your rate on the savings account and to confirm you have the 2.5%?
I put $100 in there just to see, but I can't seem to find rate.
I had this question then managed to find it... it may be possible through the app but, via a desktop, select the savings account then hit the "overview" button. It'll show the interest rate and have a bubble below calling out the promo interest amount and duration.
[OP]
Dec 1, 2017
258 posts
206 upvotes
RaptorsLeafsBlueJays…
RAPTORS WON a stressful 2OT thriller to force a game 7. This might be your last best chance to get the full incentives if you apply within 24 hrs. They might lose next game and that's it.
Do or do not. There is no try. --Yoda
Triumph starts with a "try" and ends with an... "OOMPH!" --Memphis and Mumble
Apr 25, 2012
55 posts
107 upvotes
London
MercHuntIsle wrote: RAPTORS WON a stressful 2OT thriller to force a game 7. This might be your last best chance to get the full incentives if you apply within 24 hrs. They might lose next game and that's it.
OK which one of you crashed the Tangerine website?!?
tangerine_crash.JPG