Expired Hot Deals

Tangerine

Tangerine Mastercard (World and Money-Back) new applicants - Extra 10% back up to $100 + $100 GCR

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2022 11:44 am
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2003
6074 posts
1527 upvotes
Toronto
RandomMember wrote: Applied and got approved. However when re-checked the GCR site, it was captured as a blank click, guessing no $100 rebate… Worried Face

4DD1B1F5-6BE1-4CB4-8CE9-39A576CE2305.png
It may take a few days for the click page to be updated. Once your rebate is approved, you should see your click page updated as well. It took 2 days for me to get the rebate
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2003
1183 posts
354 upvotes
I have this card but husband does not, but he's an authorized card holder on my account. Do you know if he counts as a new customer?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2003
6074 posts
1527 upvotes
Toronto
Can a non Tangerine bank customer apply for Tangerine credit card? A friend said the website forces him to sign up like a bank customer
Dec 18, 2019
370 posts
268 upvotes
Calgary
ricedion wrote: Can a non Tangerine bank customer apply for Tangerine credit card? A friend said the website forces him to sign up like a bank customer
Yes, you will need to sign up as a new customer (create a login and pass). You don't have to be the existent customer in order to apply for this card.
In Heavy Metal We Trust
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
6722 posts
3845 upvotes
stormsong wrote: Thinking of signing up today but Just want to double check, I had the original tangerine cash back credit card as well, but I cancelled it a year+ ago; but it sounds like for some here who had the credit card previously (active or inactive) was not eligible for the bonus 10%? I still have a Tangerine chequing account as well
in my case, I had the TNG MC before & cancelled it. I can't even apply, let alone getting the 10% bonus, because the option to apply the MC is not available in my TNG acct.
Dec 13, 2003
468 posts
354 upvotes
I'm only looking to sign up for this card to get 2% CB from Costco. Can someone please confirm this can be done and how to set it up as one of my categories. Thanks in advance.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2008
1599 posts
678 upvotes
Toronto
I see the cash boost now says its till sep 30th. Is today no longer that last day for this deal then?
Zoomer for phone + Carrytel for internet + Tangerine bank account + Stack debit card + Great Canadian rebates, ebates, drop and paymi for rebates.
Sep 7, 2003
854 posts
358 upvotes
kups wrote: I'm only looking to sign up for this card to get 2% CB from Costco. Can someone please confirm this can be done and how to set it up as one of my categories. Thanks in advance.
Pretty sure it can't. Not sure where you saw that.
Sep 17, 2018
90 posts
58 upvotes
which category would electronics fall under?
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2007
1689 posts
2287 upvotes
kups wrote: I'm only looking to sign up for this card to get 2% CB from Costco. Can someone please confirm this can be done and how to set it up as one of my categories. Thanks in advance.
I don’t believe Costco doesn’t fall under any of the 2% reward categories. At least for me the Costco charge on my Tangerine did not register as either (Groceries nor Home Improvement) categories which I have setup thus returning only 0.5% CB.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2007
1689 posts
2287 upvotes
tempolc wrote: which category would electronics fall under?
It’s based on the store that categorizes where it falls under. If you buy electronics from No Frills vs Best Buy, it will fall under different categories. Also the categories also depend on how the merchant is setup with the CC company based on some category code. I’m not too familiar with it but if a merchant doesn’t categorize their store correctly, then you won’t get 2% bonus. IE: My Public Mobile doesn’t categorize their charges as a recurring bill so it doesn’t fall under that category, however, Telus (their parent company) does so my Telus charge does get 2% back.
Sep 7, 2003
854 posts
358 upvotes
Also, just a heads up; some reoccurring purchases don't get 2% either. My energy bill (Enmax) is only getting me 0.5%. I called and asked why as it's reoccurring and the CSR said it's because Enmax doesn't participate in the reoccurring program??? Beats me.
Sep 12, 2020
98 posts
200 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Today I received an email from GCR, with the confirmation of $100 rebate.
32F72B7B-A75E-4FC7-B231-DA9EAED81F97.jpeg
Jun 10, 2006
211 posts
104 upvotes
Van City
You need to earn $60k+ salary in order to qualify for the MC World Card. (Just answering a previous comment... and yes, you can only upgrade your card for existing Tangerine Cash Back CC holders.)
Dec 18, 2019
370 posts
268 upvotes
Calgary
Looks like Costco falls under the 5300 MCC code (DISCOUNT STORES/ WAREHOUSE/ WHOLESALE - 5300) as per Visa MCC lookup website (which is most likely the same MCC code for MasterCard).

Unfortunately it doesn't fall over any of the category MCC codes listed in the Tangerine Cardholder Agreement, so it will be 0.5%.

Tangerine's eligible MCC category codes:
  • Drug Stores: merchants classified as “Drug Stores/Pharmacies” (MCC 5912);
  • Eating Places: merchants classified as “Eating Places, Restaurants, Bars, Lounges, Discos, Nightclub Taverns and Fast Food Restaurants” (MCC 5812 – 5814);
  • Entertainment: merchants classified as “Sports Venues, Theatres, Amusement Parks, Carnivals, Circus, Tourist Attractions and Exhibits, Movie Theatres, Zoos, Bands, Orchestras, Aquariums” (MCC 7941, 7922, 7996, 7991, 7929, 7998, 7832, 7829);
  • Furniture: merchants classified as “Home Furnishing Stores, Furniture Reupholstery” (MCC 5712, 5719, 7641);
  • Gas: merchants classified as “Service Stations” (MCC 5541/5542);
  • Grocery: merchants classified as “Grocery Stores and Supermarkets” (MCC 5411, 5462);
  • Home Improvements: merchants classified as “Hardware Stores, Home Supply Warehouse Stores, Lawn and Garden Supply Stores, Glass/Paint/Wallpaper Stores, Florist supplies nursery stock & flowers, Floor Coverings, Drapery and Window Coverings” (MCC 5251, 5200, 5261, 5231, 5718, 5713, 5714);
  • Hotels-Motels: merchants classified as “Lodging, Hotels, Motels, Resorts or by Property name” (i.e. Fairmont, Marriott, Holiday Inn, etc.) (MCC 7011, 3500-3828);
  • Public Transportation and Parking: merchants classified as “Automobile Parking Lots and Garages, Public Transportation (including Buses, Trains, Ferries), Taxis, Road Tolls” (MCC 7523, 4111, 7524, 4121, 4784);
  • Recurring Bill Payment: Recurring bill payments are defined as payments made on a monthly or other regular basis, and which are automatically billed by the merchant to your Tangerine Credit Card, such as your monthly phone bill. Not all merchants offer recurring payments, and not all ongoing payments will be considered “recurring payments” for purposes of this category. Please check with your merchant to see if your recurring payment qualifies.
In Heavy Metal We Trust
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1616 posts
676 upvotes
GTA
Can I request a supplementary card for authorized user on application?
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1616 posts
676 upvotes
GTA
Airbum88 wrote: Between the Money-Card and the World, which one is better?
Go for the World MC. Once World Elite MC comes out, it will be easier to upgrade from World MC than Money Back MC.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2003
6074 posts
1527 upvotes
Toronto
GCR $100 rebate extended to sep 30
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2014
3532 posts
1461 upvotes
Toronto
when does the 10% bonus cash back post? I crossed 1K spend within the first month of getting the card.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)