Expired Hot Deals

Tangerine

Tangerine Mastercard (World and Money-Back) New applicants - Extra 15% back up to $150 + $110 GCR

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2021 2:12 am
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2013
2464 posts
1308 upvotes
Moon
Wasnt it 10% of $2000 before?
Koodo, Public Mobile, Lucky Mobile Customer
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2203 posts
225 upvotes
Niccus wrote: As a brand new customer who has never had any Tangerine products, what's the best course of action at the moment to grab all the bonus in one shot (eg. referral, GCR, bonus for chequing account, saving account, loans, etc.,)?
Would love to know this as well.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
2267 posts
884 upvotes
Niccus wrote: As a brand new customer who has never had any Tangerine products, what's the best course of action at the moment to grab all the bonus in one shot (eg. referral, GCR, bonus for chequing account, saving account, loans, etc.,)?
addicted2it wrote: Would love to know this as well.
Normally on referral to Tangerine with an orange key, both the referrer and the person being referred get $50 once the account is opened and $250 is deposited.

But Tangerine is currently running a promo for new customers where you can get $300 and a 2% interest rate, but you can't combine it with the referral bonus. So it makes more sense to just do that.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2203 posts
225 upvotes
cbt123 wrote: Normally on referral to tangerine with an orange key, both the referrer and the person being referred get $50 once the account is opened and $50 is deposited.

But Tangerine is currently running a promo for new customers where you can get $300 and a 2% interest rate, but you can't combine it with the referral bonus. So it makes more sense to just do that.
Wow! do you by any chance have a link to this promotion! Will gladly sign up and also apply for the Tangerine Master card to get the 100+150 bonus.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
2267 posts
884 upvotes
addicted2it wrote: Wow! do you by any chance have a link to this promotion! Will gladly sign up and also apply for the Tangerine Master card to get the 100+150 bonus.
It's on the Tangerine main page, but the link is here

Use promo code EARNMORE
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
2267 posts
884 upvotes
NightRider_ wrote: Last week it was 15% CB on $1000 and $125 GCR.
I guess I missed that, is that the highest its been? From what others have said on here, it sounds like $110 and 15% cash back ($150) is pretty close to the high point. Tangerine has been sending me the pre-approved emails and notifications for this card for a while but I've never bothered applying. I suppose $260 for a no annual fee card is pretty good.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2017
1656 posts
714 upvotes
cbt123 wrote: I guess I missed that, is that the highest its been? From what others have said on here, it sounds like $110 and 15% cash back ($150) is pretty close to the high point. Tangerine has been sending me the pre-approved emails and notifications for this card for a while but I've never bothered applying. I suppose $260 for a no annual fee card is pretty good.
That has been the highest at several people did apply. It's all about timing. You just don't know if a better promotion will ever come in future so people jump on it.
[OP]
Dec 28, 2019
61 posts
354 upvotes
User772911 wrote: Damn it just got last week promo 10% cash back + $100 only anyone tried to call to get 15% cash back instead?
Yeah, I actually did the same - spoke with 2 different reps and both said there is nothing they can do because it's system generated based on the day you applied
Sep 21, 2019
485 posts
337 upvotes
Is this worth it compared to Cobalt, SimplyCash. I don’t mind annual fees if the rewards are more than that. I spent like 1-2k monthly in CC
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
2267 posts
884 upvotes
Kagaho wrote: Is this worth it compared to Cobalt, SimplyCash. I don’t mind annual fees if the rewards are more than that. I spent like 1-2k monthly in CC
I don't carry either of those cards, or the Tangerine card, but I was thinking of applying for the world card because the bonus seems good. Doubt I'd use it for much except maybe cell phone bills, 2% cash back and $1000 mobile device insurance on a no fee card seems okay. 2% cash back is getting pretty rare nowadays even on cards with annual fees, so if the categories can be used well there might be some potential there.

Cobalt gives you 5MR/$ on "eats and drinks", 3MR/$ on streaming subscriptions, 2MR/$ on travel and transit, and 1MR/$ on everything else. An MR is currently worth 1 cent per point when you use it against purchases (at least on my Amex Platinum), or more if you use transfer them to aeroplan points or something else.

Simplii card gives you 4% on eligible restaurant, bar and coffee shop purchases up to $5,000 per year, 1.5% on eligible gas, groceries, drugstore purchases and pre-authorized payments up to $15,000 per year, and 0.5% on everything else.

The Tangerine card lets you choose 3 categories from either Grocery, Furniture, Restaurants, Hotel-Motel, Gas, Recurring Bill Payments, Drug Store, Home Improvement, Entertainment, or Public Transportation and Parking to get 2% cash back in and 0.5% cash back on everything else.

So it really depends on what you buy. Cobalt has a $155.88 annual fee, so there's also that to factor in. Generally the cobalt comes out ahead unless maybe on stuff in the 2% categories. Simplii is better for restaurants but Tangerine could potentially be better for gas and drug stores if you make that a 2% category.
Jul 7, 2016
387 posts
783 upvotes
Kagaho wrote: Is this worth it compared to Cobalt, SimplyCash. I don’t mind annual fees if the rewards are more than that. I spent like 1-2k monthly in CC
It generally is only good to fill certain categories, or if you want a no AF portfolio of cards. At high CC spend, depending on your mix, it is likely better to get other cards.

Common spending categories are: Gas, groceries, recurring bills, dining, and travel. Most premium cards can get you >2% on those categories quite easily and are well worth the fee if your spend is high. E.g. if you spend mostly on dining, gas or groceries, it is well worth getting a 3.0% to 4.0% (which is common) or sticking to Amex Cobalt.

For non-category spend, this card only gives 0.5%. Even if just using free cards, you're better off using Rogers WE (1.5%, if you don't get downgraded) or Amex SimplyCash (1.25%).

In summary, this isn't a great "all-in-one" card, but a great "fill in missing categories" card. Personally, I use it for categories other cards don't offer accelerated rewards (e.g. furniture, home improvement). However, if your spend in those categories are high, you could just simplify things by paying the AF for something like Amex SimplyCash Preferred (2.0% on all spend).
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2010
1326 posts
310 upvotes
Brampton
I think you need to upgrade. there's an option to do so when you click on your credit card when you sign on.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
4009 posts
141 upvotes
Markham
XavierS31426 wrote: The offer is extra 15% back (up to $150 back) if you can spend $1,000 in the first two months. Same offer shows for both credit cards. Apply by November 30th 2021. Also, GCR has $110 rebate for both cards on right now until Oct 31st, so in total $260 back. This was posted a little while back as well but the offer was only for 10% cash back up to $100 and $100 GCR, so this is much hotter.

https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/det ... edit-Card/
https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/det ... astercard/

Original Post: tangerine-tangerine-mastercard-world-mo ... r-2474231/
Thanks OP
Applied thru GCR and it took me to Tangerine and I completed the rest of the process there,
It was no hassle as I was already pre approved.
It also asked me to upgrade to Elite with no AF :)
Cheers!
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2007
1524 posts
1175 upvotes
niuroufensi wrote: My wife applied when it was 10% and 100 GCR. It has been almost 4 month now, the 10% still has not showing up in my account yet.
Same here, entering month 4 no 10%.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
2267 posts
884 upvotes
to_munda wrote: Thanks OP
Applied thru GCR and it took me to Tangerine and I completed the rest of the process there,
It was no hassle as I was already pre approved.
It also asked me to upgrade to Elite with no AF :)
Cheers!
The application for the World card said I already had a credit card even though I've never had one with Tangerine before, so I did one for the regular card which said, partway through, that I qualify for an upgrade to the world. I didn't accept the upgrade to the World card since GCR can technically say I didn't apply for the card that the click was based on. It appears many people were able to upgrade later on anyway.
Dec 1, 2012
344 posts
385 upvotes
VANCOUVER
What is the difference between those 2 cards ?

Can I apply both and get $260 from each ?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2010
1326 posts
310 upvotes
Brampton
Can anyone confirm if upgrading from the standard cash back card to this one qualifies for the bonus as well, or is it just for brand new sign-ups?
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
2267 posts
884 upvotes
PTMBAA wrote: How fast does GCR post the rebate?
The rebate posted with 36 hours of me applying.