Expired Hot Deals

Tangerine

tangerine money-back credit card 15% back (upto $300)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2021 11:21 am
Nov 27, 2016
246 posts
169 upvotes
I applied last night and was approved instantly. Is this 15% back on everything up to $300?
Jan 6, 2011
306 posts
451 upvotes
toronto
anyone know if you can do balance transfer from tangerine site or need to call in? i didn't activate the card yet, just applied/approved yesterday but I don't see the option for balance transfer yet, just wondering if need to activate the card first
Jan 6, 2011
306 posts
451 upvotes
toronto
ZendlesS wrote: I applied last night and was approved instantly. Is this 15% back on everything up to $300?
someone posted this earlier in the thread:

The Tangerine $250 Limited Time Bonus Offer (the “Offer”) is only available to new Tangerine Credit Card Account holders who apply between February 1, 2020 and March 31, 2020 and (i) activate their Credit Card (the “Account”) within 45 days of approval, and (ii) have at least $5,000 in Net Purchases posted to their Account within 92-day period beginning on the date the Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card is activated. “Net Purchases” include purchases charged to the Account (less any refunds, returns or other similar credits) but do not include payments, Cash Advances (including Balance Transfers and Cash-Like Transactions), interest, fees, insurance premiums, adjustments or other charges. The $250 will be credited to the Primary Cardholder’s Account within 1-2 statement cycles after the 92-day promotional period provided the Account is open and in Good Standing at time of payout. Limit of one Offer per eligible Client. This Offer is non-transferable. Offer may be changed, cancelled or extended at any time. All other Account terms, including the Tangerine Money-Back Rewards Program Terms & Conditions, remain unchanged and continue to apply. See the Tangerine Credit Card Cardholder
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
2025 posts
1694 upvotes
DP: accepted and approved for my preapproval offer last night. Original preapproval was $20k + 15% CB up to $300 ($2000 MSR). I lowered limit to $10k and was HP TU, and was approved.

I messaged Tangerine and asked them if I upgraded to the World card during app, whether or not I'd be eligible for 15% CB - she confirmed to me no and advised me to upgrade to the World card after the promo period ends.

Some additional talking points:
- Tangerine Pre-Approvals 100% require a credit check. When you go through the application, there's a box you tick that says "I consent to a credit check as part of this application". CreditKarma (which monitors TransUnion) notified me today that I had a hard pull from Tangerine.

- Fine print clearly says (at least for me) you have 92 days from activation (not approval) to hit MSR, and it's up to $2000:
"(iii) have up to a maximum of $2,000 in total Net Purchases posted to their Account within the 92-day period beginning on the date the Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card is activated"

- Upgrade to World card during app (if you have a preapproval) will negate the preapproval bonus (ie. no 15%/10%/etc. CB bonus) [this is per CSR online - you can always upgrade after promo period is done]

- I wouldn't risk going through GCR for an extra $50-$75 if that means having to spend an extra $3000... typically preapproval and external referral links don't mix
Nov 27, 2016
246 posts
169 upvotes
pux420 wrote: someone posted this earlier in the thread:

The Tangerine $250 Limited Time Bonus Offer (the “Offer”) is only available to new Tangerine Credit Card Account holders who apply between February 1, 2020 and March 31, 2020 and (i) activate their Credit Card (the “Account”) within 45 days of approval, and (ii) have at least $5,000 in Net Purchases posted to their Account within 92-day period beginning on the date the Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card is activated. “Net Purchases” include purchases charged to the Account (less any refunds, returns or other similar credits) but do not include payments, Cash Advances (including Balance Transfers and Cash-Like Transactions), interest, fees, insurance premiums, adjustments or other charges. The $250 will be credited to the Primary Cardholder’s Account within 1-2 statement cycles after the 92-day promotional period provided the Account is open and in Good Standing at time of payout. Limit of one Offer per eligible Client. This Offer is non-transferable. Offer may be changed, cancelled or extended at any time. All other Account terms, including the Tangerine Money-Back Rewards Program Terms & Conditions, remain unchanged and continue to apply. See the Tangerine Credit Card Cardholder
Thank you so much for the info. I was hoping to pay my tuition online with this cc. I wonder if the $300 bonus is the same as this $250 offer.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2018
1862 posts
2244 upvotes
Halifax, Nova Scotia
sports1 wrote: DP: accepted and approved for my preapproval offer last night. Original preapproval was $20k + 15% CB up to $300 ($2000 MSR). I lowered limit to $10k and was HP TU, and was approved.

I messaged Tangerine and asked them if I upgraded to the World card during app, whether or not I'd be eligible for 15% CB - she confirmed to me no and advised me to upgrade to the World card after the promo period ends.

Some additional talking points:
- Tangerine Pre-Approvals 100% require a credit check. When you go through the application, there's a box you tick that says "I consent to a credit check as part of this application". CreditKarma (which monitors TransUnion) notified me today that I had a hard pull from Tangerine.

- Fine print clearly says (at least for me) you have 92 days from activation (not approval) to hit MSR, and it's up to $2000:
"(iii) have up to a maximum of $2,000 in total Net Purchases posted to their Account within the 92-day period beginning on the date the Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card is activated"

- Upgrade to World card during app (if you have a preapproval) will negate the preapproval bonus (ie. no 15%/10%/etc. CB bonus) [this is per CSR online - you can always upgrade after promo period is done]

- I wouldn't risk going through GCR for an extra $50-$75 if that means having to spend an extra $3000... typically preapproval and external referral links don't mix
@titaniumtux or any others, have you heard about this "upgrade during application negates 15%/2k offer" business?
Apr 11, 2007
358 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
sports1 wrote: DP:
If this is correct then they tricked people to switch to World card so they don't have to pay bonus. If so, I will not activate the card.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1935 posts
1472 upvotes
aweawea wrote: @titaniumtux or any others, have you heard about this "upgrade during application negates 15%/2k offer" business?
It's a known fact Tangerine reps are poorly informed about promos. I wouldn't put too much weight on what 1 rep says
May 5, 2009
32 posts
10 upvotes
I have already upgraded to the World through the app. I received and activated my card. Called into Tangerine (which was a long wait) and the rep confirmed that I have the 15%/2000 min spend associated to my card and that the bonus would be paid 1 to 2 statement cycles after the first 3 months.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2018
1862 posts
2244 upvotes
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Bwucewee wrote: I have already upgraded to the World through the app. I received and activated my card. Called into Tangerine (which was a long wait) and the rep confirmed that I have the 15%/2000 min spend associated to my card and that the bonus would be paid 1 to 2 statement cycles after the first 3 months.
Thanks for saving us (and the others on hold) the bother. I'll sit tight and follow up down the road.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
2359 posts
1531 upvotes
Markham
sports1 wrote: - I wouldn't risk going through GCR for an extra $50-$75 if that means having to spend an extra $3000... typically preapproval and external referral links don't mix
well lets say ur intention is spend $2000 and stop. You are really risking only $200 ($2000 * (15-5)%) to earn an extra 50-$75. Its worth taking a risk thru GCR plus just take screen shot of the promo when one applies.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
2025 posts
1694 upvotes
Bwucewee wrote: I have already upgraded to the World through the app. I received and activated my card. Called into Tangerine (which was a long wait) and the rep confirmed that I have the 15%/2000 min spend associated to my card and that the bonus would be paid 1 to 2 statement cycles after the first 3 months.
Typical (Tangerine) CSRs... always YMMV on promos in my experience.

Anyways, I hope it works out for you... I'd rather just upgrade to World after my promo ends (I haven't dug deep enough into this, but it seems like no HP on upgrade?).
No need to risk the bonus for something I (and most people) will not realistically use in the next 3 months anyways (no phone upgrade, and what travel any time soon?)
savemoresaveoften wrote: well lets say ur intention is spend $2000 and stop. You are really risking only $200 ($2000 * (15-5)%) to earn an extra 50-$75. Its worth taking a risk thru GCR plus just take screen shot of the promo when one applies.
Scenario 1: go through GCR for $50-75 + eligible for $250 / $5k MSR offer
The fine print for the $5000 offer said "at least $5000 in net purchases". So if you spend $2000, according to the T&C (I don't take the word of CSR over the T&C, as the T&C is what both them and I will refer to if we ever get into a dispute) you will get $0 from Tangerine + $50-75 GCR.

Scenario 2: go through GCR for $50-75 + eligible for + $300 / $2k MSR offer
You win big, that's $300 + $50-75

Scenario 3: go through GCR for $50-75, not eligible for additional offers
$50-$75 from GCR
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
2359 posts
1531 upvotes
Markham
sports1 wrote:
Scenario 1: go through GCR for $50-75 + eligible for $250 / $5k MSR offer
The fine print for the $5000 offer said "at least $5000 in net purchases". So if you spend $2000, according to the T&C (I don't take the word of CSR over the T&C, as the T&C is what both them and I will refer to if we ever get into a dispute) you will get $0 from Tangerine + $50-75 GCR.
Pretty sure it meant to earn the full $250, u need to spend at lest $5k. So if one only spends $2k, then get $100 instead of $0

looks like bonus promotion over anyway
Jun 26, 2019
106 posts
523 upvotes
I am currently a new user
I am looking to apply for tangerine especially for their line of credit people have been getting.
Will their be a credit check if I apply?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
2025 posts
1694 upvotes
savemoresaveoften wrote: Pretty sure it meant to earn the full $250, u need to spend at lest $5k. So if one only spends $2k, then get $100 instead of $0

looks like bonus promotion over anyway
Fair enough. And yeah, hopefully their next round will have less ambiguous wording in the T&C.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2015
5596 posts
3700 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
DarkFrost wrote: I am currently a new user
I am looking to apply for tangerine especially for their line of credit people have been getting.
Will their be a credit check if I apply?
I got hit with a check, wait until they have an offer (0% interest for 3 months I believe)
Alterna Bank Thread
Stock Thread

TFSA Portfolio: AEM|ATD|BAM.A|BCE|BIP.UN|CCL.B|CNQ|CNR|CTC.A|ENB|FCD.UN|FN|FTS|FTT|GSY|IFC|IMO|MFC|MG|MRU|NA|NET.UN|SJ|T|TOU
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3864 upvotes
I played it very safe and didn't use GCR, and did not upgrade to world. The risk does not outbenefit the 50-70 extra but lose all $300 for easy 2000 spending.

And the other offer, 5000 for $250, you have to spend at least 5000 or get nothing.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2227 posts
509 upvotes
Vancouver Island
Damn, I can’t believe I missed this thread. I assume this deal is dead?

I have just about every product with Tangerine except for their CC. Their world MC sounds like a good card for us.
Mar 11, 2013
730 posts
734 upvotes
Brampton
I went through GCR and accepted the World upgrade. I called Tangering after activating my card and the rep confirmed that the 15% CB promo is linked to my account. It could take 1 or 2 bill cycles after 92 day period for the promo CB to be credited.
Jun 26, 2019
106 posts
523 upvotes
MoneyHypeMike wrote: I got hit with a check, wait until they have an offer (0% interest for 3 months I believe)
But do I need to be a customer of tangerine to get that or any new user would get that offer?