Expired Hot Deals

Tangerine

Tangerine Savings 2.50% until Sept. 30, 2020 (TARGETED)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2020 5:53 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1652 posts
1628 upvotes
once again i have no offers.

i think it’s because my balance is almost 0 on my accounts because i moved everything to EQ bank a while ago.
Wallet safe...
May 4, 2004
491 posts
99 upvotes
D0ntgiveajack wrote: once again i have no offers.

i think it’s because my balance is almost 0 on my accounts because i moved everything to EQ bank a while ago.
not in my case, I have 0 or a few cents there, however I ever asked an offer before not used though cause it was only 2.3 which ended on April 30. Even now, still didn't accept 2.5 yet.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
7672 posts
2101 upvotes
Toronto
D0ntgiveajack wrote: once again i have no offers.

Wait 1 or 2 months an offer will come your way.
Nov 2, 2004
292 posts
195 upvotes
I'm currently on a 3.0% offer with Tangerine that expires at the end of May. No new offers in my Insights. Should I just wait until the end of May and hope they'll offer me something? Or is there something more I need to do? Move the money out at end of May and hope they offer me something juicy to get my money back? Also have a Simplii account and some RFD'ers are getting 2.8% with them right now, but I have yet to be offered that.
Dec 24, 2011
543 posts
1238 upvotes
East, Canada
I had the 2.8% offer sitting there weeks ago - I didn’t hit activate - then three days ago it changed to this 2.5%, so I activate it but now I hear the offer is back to 2.8%. Aiaiai.
Nov 2, 2004
292 posts
195 upvotes
RaiderX wrote: I had the 2.8% offer sitting there weeks ago - I didn’t hit activate - then three days ago it changed to this 2.5%, so I activate it but now I hear the offer is back to 2.8%. Aiaiai.
With Tangerine or Simplii?
Deal Addict
May 28, 2007
1420 posts
654 upvotes
silverele wrote: This is exactly what happened with my mother's account! Last offer was supposed to end April 30 and the next offer began May 1 with a balance snapshot taken from April 30.

Unfortunately, she did not move her money out before April 30, next time we will know better. We aren't going to activate the offer and hope she gets another one soon.
Exactly what happened to my mother. I accepted the offer anyway even though she won't benefit from it since it's only on new money. My reasoning is that, if I don't accept it, there might not be a new offer coming for a long time. So thinking is that when this one expires, a new offer is likely to follow. Will move what money I can out in the meantime.
Last edited by RCML27 on May 3rd, 2020 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
3500 posts
2203 upvotes
Check your Simplii accounts, I got 2.8% from May 1st to end of August.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2007
1420 posts
654 upvotes
Roy2004 wrote: not in my case, I have 0 or a few cents there, however I ever asked an offer before not used though cause it was only 2.3 which ended on April 30. Even now, still didn't accept 2.5 yet.
Huh?? Hard to understand what you're trying to say.
Aug 27, 2012
569 posts
577 upvotes
Calgary
peli33 wrote: Check your Simplii accounts, I got 2.8% from May 1st to end of August.
Was it an email or notification when logged in?
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
3500 posts
2203 upvotes
pauliaK wrote: Was it an email or notification when logged in?
Signup through portal, still waiting for email confirmation like last promo for detailed terms.
May 4, 2004
491 posts
99 upvotes
RCML27 wrote: Huh?? Hard to understand what you're trying to say.
hmm, I ever called Tangerine to got an offer last Nov, but I only got 2.3% at that moment, so I didn't deposit any money there. The previous offer ended on Apr 30, 2020, and after that when I logged in, there had 2.5% showed in banner. Have said that, even you didn't have any money in Tangerine, you may still got offer regardless.
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5698 upvotes
Touched base with Tangerine Outbound Task Force yesterday ....

The best they can offer nowadays is 2.5% ... I already had that until September 28, 2020 from them.

So the rep told me, if I want they can extend that / start it over ... for 180 days again.

So I said to myself "sure, why not" ... So the change (in promo duration) would be from September 28, 2020 to Nov. 7 or 8, 2020 ... or something like that.

The change should take place some time tomorrow.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
6558 posts
6855 upvotes
Vancouver
Not sure Tangerine interest rates really merit a Hot Deals thread - Tangerine has an ongoing process of making random offers of promotional rates for the last several years, well documented in the Tangerine Interest Rate Lottery thread in the Personal Finance forum.

It's totally YMMV. The interest rate offer you get is apparently random, not linked to any particular factors that anyone has been able to determine in years of monitoring by RFDers. It doesn't seem to matter how much money you have in Tangerine, or how much business you do with them. A lot of the time they offer nothing more than their standard ridiculously low rate. You can re-check at 3 month intervals - past history is no indication of what offer you may or may not get in future. From the thread you can see the range of offers people have gotten most recently.

If you do get a promo interest rate offer, the rate is not fixed for the term they offered - it gets reduced when interest rates go down, as they have recently.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3897 posts
687 upvotes
Good info. Might try calling a bit later to see if they can do a similar extension.

Do you have a number for this taskforce?
Oct 18, 2007
84 posts
16 upvotes
Thornhill
Darkman wrote: Touched base with Tangerine Outbound Task Force yesterday ....

The best they can offer nowadays is 2.5% ... I already had that until September 28, 2020 from them.

So the rep told me, if I want they can extend that / start it over ... for 180 days again.

So I said to myself "sure, why not" ... So the change (in promo duration) would be from September 28, 2020 to Nov. 7 or 8, 2020 ... or something like that.

The change should take place some time tomorrow.
How did you get in touch with Outbound team - do you have a direct number? My 2.5% rate expired so I asked a Customer Service agent to speak to them on Friday April 24th. She said she would have to send the team a "message" to call me back because they were so "overloaded". I still have not received a callback and I've been a Tangerine client for years with substantial holdings.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
Father James Keller
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25140 posts
21586 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
JeffThornhill wrote: How did you get in touch with Outbound team - do you have a direct number? My 2.5% rate expired so I asked a Customer Service agent to speak to them on Friday April 24th. She said she would have to send the team a "message" to call me back because they were so "overloaded". I still have not received a callback and I've been a Tangerine client for years with substantial holdings.
You have to ask a front line agent to have the outbound people call you back. That usually happens within a couple of days. It seems that TING dropped the ball in your case. All you can do is call front line back, tell them that you're still waiting for a call back and ask them to message the outbound people again.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2016
1546 posts
1598 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: Not sure Tangerine interest rates really merit a Hot Deals thread - Tangerine has an ongoing process of making random offers of promotional rates for the last several years, well documented in the Tangerine Interest Rate Lottery thread in the Personal Finance forum.

It's totally YMMV. The interest rate offer you get is apparently random, not linked to any particular factors that anyone has been able to determine in years of monitoring by RFDers. It doesn't seem to matter how much money you have in Tangerine, or how much business you do with them. A lot of the time they offer nothing more than their standard ridiculously low rate. You can re-check at 3 month intervals - past history is no indication of what offer you may or may not get in future. From the thread you can see the range of offers people have gotten most recently.

If you do get a promo interest rate offer, the rate is not fixed for the term they offered - it gets reduced when interest rates go down, as they have recently.
Some Hot Deals are YMMV, lots are not. All Hot Deals expire eventually...you must be one of the lucky one that does not get these offers. The offers for Tangerine are posted here so people can check if they see it on their App. My last thread had hundreds of reply's with people successfully activating the offer. So i would say it is Hot Deals worthy :)
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
11506 posts
14757 upvotes
Toronto
timmyboy4 wrote: Got it - thanks. They're getting a little wiser; there used to be a 4-6 day gap in between when your last offer would end (say Apr 30) and when your new offer would start (say May 5, with balance calculated as of May 4). This offer uses your Apr 30 balance, I assume the high of that day, so that if you had transferred out on Apr 30 your high balance from that day would be captured so the incremental "new deposit only" portion can't just be the recycling of what you've removed.

Took them a while. We've been doing this for years. So now we just need to yank it out a bit early - set an alert for Sep 28
Another work around is to have 2 savings accounts, one joint. I have a joint savings account with my wife and a separate one and they don't count towards each other. So I can transfer money from my joint account to my personal one and it's still a "new deposit" because the joint one doesn't have this promotion activated.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)