Expired Hot Deals

Tangerine

Tangerine Savings 2.50% until Sept. 30, 2020 (TARGETED)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2020 5:53 pm
Mar 11, 2012
396 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sircheersa wrote: Another work around is to have 2 savings accounts, one joint. I have a joint savings account with my wife and a separate one and they don't count towards each other. So I can transfer money from my joint account to my personal one and it's still a "new deposit" because the joint one doesn't have this promotion activated.
I used to just transferred the savings account balance to the chequing account before the promotion ends. Then the last 3 times Tangerine gave me the promo rate on the entire savings account balance so the transfer was unnecessary. Looks like I have to redo that again in the next round just to be safe.
Mar 25, 2011
38 posts
28 upvotes
Mississauga
avnebbie wrote: To not use up contribution room you have to get the new bank to initiate a direct transfer. They will send Tangerine a request and Tangerine will send them your funds but will also charge you a transfer fee. The new bank you are opening the account with will sometimes reimburse you that fee. However the transfer can take up to 5 weeks to complete. So if you are doing back and forth that way your money could be in limbo for quite a bit of time and everytime you direct transfer out of a bank you get charged a fee from that bank.

The other way is right before the new year you empty the account yourself and gain that contribution room in the new year leaving you to place the money where you want without losing room or being charged fees but you are limited to having to wait untill December.
I want to take advantage of this offer by moving money out before the promotion expires and then putting it back in.

In my Tangerine overview, it shows that I have a savings account. It just says Tangerine Savings Account. This is not a TFSA right?
Will pulling money out and putting it back in cause me to lose contribution room?
Sep 26, 2008
268 posts
102 upvotes
Longueuil
layitup wrote: I want to take advantage of this offer by moving money out before the promotion expires and then putting it back in.

In my Tangerine overview, it shows that I have a savings account. It just says Tangerine Savings Account. This is not a TFSA right?
Will pulling money out and putting it back in cause me to lose contribution room?
Tangerine takes note of the amounts you have in your accounts before the promo starts to avoid people doing what you said, taking money out and putting it back in. Anything over the amount you had in your account at start of promo will get the bonus interest. If you had $100 at the start of promo and took it all out then put back $125 you will only get the bonus interest on the $25 over the initial $100

If in your list all you show is savings then no it is not a TFSA account, see my pic they should be listed seperate in your account list. Pulling money out of a regular savings you will not lose contribution room from your TFSA, pulling out of a TFSA and putting it back in within the same year you will lose the room and risk going over your limit.
Images
  • Screenshot_20200516-155056~3.png
Feb 5, 2017
16 posts
12 upvotes
BC
This is the 3rd time I haven't gotten a "targeted" offer. Last time I called in and was told the best they could do was 2.3% even thou others were getting higher at the time. It's expiring in a couple of days so I'd earning a whooping .25% at Tangerine. I'm getting tired of their game and don't feel like calling in again, between my savings and joint with my kids we have a considerable amount of cash from a house sale sitting in Tangerine plus have a big line of credit (nothing currently owing thou) and have been clients for almost 6 years so don't know why no offers? Time to move my money again back to EQ although they dropped their 2.3% to 2.0% but want to keep the cash liquid until we repurchase another home.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25126 posts
21563 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
camrose99 wrote: This is the 3rd time I haven't gotten a "targeted" offer. Last time I called in and was told the best they could do was 2.3% even thou others were getting higher at the time. It's expiring in a couple of days so I'd earning a whooping .25% at Tangerine. I'm getting tired of their game and don't feel like calling in again, between my savings and joint with my kids we have a considerable amount of cash from a house sale sitting in Tangerine plus have a big line of credit (nothing currently owing thou) and have been clients for almost 6 years so don't know why no offers? Time to move my money again back to EQ although they dropped their 2.3% to 2.0% but want to keep the cash liquid until we repurchase another home.
This is how TING works. If you want any chance of getting more that the ~2% others are offering you have to call in, tell them how unhappy you are with their games and insist that they either (a) get their outbound team to make you a better offer or (b) move your money out. Those are your two choices.

And yes, if they do make you a retention offer it will usually be a bit less than they offer new customers--even if you've been with TING since day one.

I agree that this sucks and that it's a lousy way to run a business, especially on house sale sized deposits by long time customers. But that's what TING has degenerated into:- a demeaning, humiliating poor version of a Turkish carpet bazaar. [Unlike at TING, at a Turkish carpet bazaar they show respect to their customers and even the free coffee is better.]
veni, vidi, Visa
Jan 18, 2011
363 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto
Welp, no offer this time around - money transferred to my EQ account - this is why I have it - to bounce between the higher rate
Aug 22, 2018
118 posts
64 upvotes
Mississauga
How are you transferring in bulk ? online or are you visiting a bank branch and dong it via cheque ?
Darkman wrote: I got that 2.50% rate for 180 days (till Sept 28, 2020 i think, if I am not mistaken) ... a month ago or a bit more ... for the entire balance ... from Tangerine Outbound Task Force.

Pulling in 150K+ into Tangerine Savings tonight (in 3 hours or so) ... from Simplii's Savings ( to celebrate the end of Simplii's 2.80% promo so to speak :D ... ------- You don't extend it for me, like you did for some others, basically ... --- my money gonna travel out, and I told them just the same when talked to them earlier (not that they cared about it anyhow, lol))

Play stupid games win stupid prizes! ;)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7159 posts
3625 upvotes
West GTEH!
bylo wrote: This is how TING works. If you want any chance of getting more that the ~2% others are offering you have to call in, tell them how unhappy you are with their games and insist that they either (a) get their outbound team to make you a better offer or (b) move your money out. Those are your two choices.

And yes, if they do make you a retention offer it will usually be a bit less than they offer new customers--even if you've been with TING since day one.

I agree that this sucks and that it's a lousy way to run a business, especially on house sale sized deposits by long time customers. But that's what TING has degenerated into:- a demeaning, humiliating poor version of a Turkish carpet bazaar. [Unlike at TING, at a Turkish carpet bazaar they show respect to their customers and even the free coffee is better.]
Especially when TING is owned by ScotiaBank.
😎
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
7251 posts
7041 upvotes
Calgary
camrose99 wrote: This is the 3rd time I haven't gotten a "targeted" offer. Last time I called in and was told the best they could do was 2.3% even thou others were getting higher at the time. It's expiring in a couple of days so I'd earning a whooping .25% at Tangerine. I'm getting tired of their game and don't feel like calling in again, between my savings and joint with my kids we have a considerable amount of cash from a house sale sitting in Tangerine plus have a big line of credit (nothing currently owing thou) and have been clients for almost 6 years so don't know why no offers? Time to move my money again back to EQ although they dropped their 2.3% to 2.0% but want to keep the cash liquid until we repurchase another home.
CIBC has 2.5
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2214 posts
1772 upvotes
Surrey
Manulife has a 4 month promo at 2.75%
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
16353 posts
4220 upvotes
I only see May 31 ending..didn't see Sep 30...
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Jun 14, 2011
631 posts
611 upvotes
Toronto
How long does it usually take to transfer money from tangerine to EQ if it's linked?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
7251 posts
7041 upvotes
Calgary
xXKEIXx wrote: How long does it usually take to transfer money from tangerine to EQ if it's linked?
2-3 business days
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2273 posts
611 upvotes
Toronto
anyone received offer from Tangerine starting today, June 1???

I believe many of us have promo rate expired as of May 31.

I transferred funds to EQ as there is no promo extension for Simplii and Tangerine for me..
Jun 14, 2011
631 posts
611 upvotes
Toronto
Got the call from the outbound team and was offered 2.3% if all money stays but since I moved some to the Manulife 2.75%, they could only offer me 2.25% 90 days for the remainder. Better than EQ so I took it for now.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
1517 posts
597 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote: This is how TING works. If you want any chance of getting more that the ~2% others are offering you have to call in, tell them how unhappy you are with their games and insist that they either (a) get their outbound team to make you a better offer or (b) move your money out. Those are your two choices.

I wonder if I close all my Tangerine accounts, will I be eligible to become a new Tangerine client again (new client number, eligible for new client promo) after 90 days or something? They seem to have good new client promo quite frequently (currently 2.8% interest for 5 months). If I am a rate-chaser currently expecting to having money in another place for a few months, this seems to be better way to get a good promo. If that's the way Tangerine sets the rule (better promo for new clients, let existing clients beg) then play the "new client" game ...
Amerifriend threads need to include instructions on how to acquire an amerifriend. :confused:
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25126 posts
21563 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ssiu wrote: I wonder if I close all my Tangerine accounts, will I be eligible to become a new Tangerine client again (new client number, eligible for new client promo) after 90 days or something?
No idea.

You can change your name, address and email each time. For instance add a middle initial to your name, add a suite number to the street number, etc. But you can't change your SIN. If they cross-reference by SIN then they'll know it's a previous customer.

Another approach might be a joint account. But again, no idea if that would be considered a new customer and influence their secret algorithm to make you a better offer.
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)