Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Tangerine

Tangerine Savings 2.50% until Sept. 30, 2020 (TARGETED)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2020 5:53 pm
Oct 4, 2011
4 posts
4 upvotes
NORTH VANCOUVER
Can anyone give some insight on this.

I have a Tangerine HISA with a promo rate of 2.3% that expires at the end of this month. My wife just signed up for a Tangerine savings account (has never been with Tangerine before) and can get a bonus interest rate (2.5%) for 5 months.

Neither accounts are joint. Can I simply transfer the money from my account to hers so we can earn this rate? What's the best method of going about this? Thanks in advance Slightly Smiling Face
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
dman34 wrote: Can I simply transfer the money from my account to hers so we can earn this rate? What's the best method of going about this?
I don't know if you can link hers to yours as an external account and vice versa. If you can then the transfer will happen directly. If not you'd have to transfer to an external account at another bank, perhaps a joint account, then transfer in the other direction to the spouse's account.

Another option to consider is to also open a joint account at TING. Each of you will be able to transfer money between the joint account and your individual accounts. Those transfers will definitely be direct and happen instantly.

Keep in mind that however you do it, you'll need to attribute interest payments to each spouse in proportion to the percentage of their money held in each account for CRA tax purposes.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
9291 posts
2352 upvotes
Mont-Royal
anyone have retention on all balance recently? is it 2.3% for funds over 100k?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
Darkman wrote: Touched base with Tangerine Outbound Task Force yesterday ....

The best they can offer nowadays is 2.5% ... I already had that until September 28, 2020 from them.

So the rep told me, if I want they can extend that / start it over ... for 180 days again.

So I said to myself "sure, why not" ... So the change (in promo duration) would be from September 28, 2020 to Nov. 7 or 8, 2020 ... or something like that.

The change should take place some time tomorrow.
WTF ..... Lol :(

I just remembered about this ... had to find my post above to refresh my memory on how it played out exactly on May 5th, during our conversation.

I checked my expiry date for the current 2.5% promo ... and it's still September 28, 2020 ... I guess they forgot to do it ...

Just had a conversation with them ... and they actually found notes / details of that conversation ... So they'll fix it ... in a day or two after reviewing everything ... Can expect a phone call also, either from that Force team .. or from supervisor.

Nov. 3, 2020 should be my end date after it gets fixed ... When I wrote Nov. 7 or 8 in quoted post, I was only guessing ... to it was an approximation ... So hopefully they will fix this ... and finally extend my 2.5% promo's end date from Sept 28 to Nov. 3.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2009
1322 posts
906 upvotes
East of Toronto
My Tangerine 2.5 % expired July 31st. Six figure balance. No retention offer this time. .1% is not competitive.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
DRC wrote: .1% is not competitive.
That's easy to fix. For you it's double the rate -- 0.20% ;)
My Tangerine 2.5 % expired July 31st. Six figure balance. No retention offer this time.
More seriously, that sucks. In fact that's an insult. I'd move my money just as a matter of principle.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2009
1322 posts
906 upvotes
East of Toronto
Ha ha, right. It is .2%. Moved my money. Dividing it up between Motive, Alterna and EQ. My Simplii rate expires at the end August. We'll see what they say...
Banned
Feb 11, 2018
91 posts
40 upvotes
Hi guys I just open the account
where do you see what interest rate it is for the saving account you open and when is the promotion rate going to expire?
Aug 16, 2020
919 posts
176 upvotes
Is there a soft or hard credit check if i am new to tangerine and open its checking/savings anf tfsa/rrsp accounts..?