Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Tangerine

YMMV 4.30% Interest rate on New Savings from October 4 until December 31, 2022

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2022 9:36 pm
Nov 27, 2006
768 posts
395 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP - I was about do to a 180-day GIC at 3.7% or open a Manulife HISA for 4.25%. Your thread saved me some time and inconvenience.
Dec 20, 2010
591 posts
606 upvotes
Damnit, I never moved my savings account money back to my chequing, and I have the 4.30% on insights but it's only for new deposits on the balance as of Oct 3rd
Dec 10, 2012
550 posts
236 upvotes
GTA
Yeah never had success calling in to get a better offer. I m on 3% until nov maybe time to get wife to get new account
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
7506 posts
3678 upvotes
Canuckland
Still sitting on my 3.5% no 4.3%
Nov 11, 2015
42 posts
56 upvotes
Manitoba
I found the offer on my insights. Thanks!
Screenshot_20221005-112303.png
Screenshot_20221005-112318.png
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17018 posts
4806 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
will888 wrote: So you want Tangerine to be charitable and offer 5.25%? Mortgages are backed by term deposits not savings accounts where the money can go in and out anytime?
I'd like them to match the prime rate. BoC offers them margin.

Your own statement is contradictory. More incentive for me to keep money in by offering me attractive incentive. In addition, savings capital is leveraged for generate revenue and profit for banks.
Feb 6, 2007
478 posts
371 upvotes
weedb0y wrote: I'd like them to match the prime rate. BoC offers them margin.

Your own statement is contradictory. More incentive for me to keep money in by offering me attractive incentive. In addition, savings capital is leveraged for generate revenue and profit for banks.
Lol no bank in the world would Offer you prime rate on savings but it’s a nice thought.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26759 posts
24207 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
weedb0y wrote: I'd like them to match the prime rate. BoC offers them margin.

TING is a for-profit corporation. In simple terms, they borrow money from depositors at one rate, then lend it out at a (presumably) higher rate. They make their profit from the difference.

They only need to borrow money from us to offset the money they loan to borrowers. If they raise more cash than they need from us, then they lose money by paying us interest on funds that they can't loan out at higher rates. As a result they set the interest rates they pay us based on how much money (deposits) they need.

If BoC rate rises succeed in slowing the economy, perhaps by creating a recession, then demand for loans will drop. In order to reduce the flow of new deposits that they can't loan out, they'll have to reduce their deposit (HISA and GIC) rates accordingly.

This is also why their GIC rates have been fluctuating so much in recent months. They adjust those rates and term length to meet their demand for loans (mortgages, credit cards, etc.)

For example earlier this year they were offering 5% on 5-year GICs. Presumably they use deposits in 5-yr GICs to advance mortgages with 5-yr terms. As the housing market has cooled, so has the demand for 5-yr money, in part because mortgages are smaller (lower sale prices) and there are fewer of them (reduced number of home sales.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
1484 posts
864 upvotes
Vancouver
squeeks786 wrote: Lol no bank in the world would Offer you prime rate on savings but it’s a nice thought.
Reminds me of this Face With Tears Of Joy

Jul 2, 2018
219 posts
154 upvotes
YVR
TheGoodDealer wrote: Fyi for new clients you will be better off going for 4.25% for 5 months. Plus you can get $400 cash back if you spend 2k on eligible purchases in your first 2 months when signing up for a chequings account too.

https://www.tangerine.ca/en/landing-pag ... orCarousel
I guess if I was a Tangerine client before, I won't get the 4.25% promo? I got a $50 bonus back in 2018
Dec 12, 2004
539 posts
327 upvotes
Wow, thanks so much for this. Didn't receive any emails from Tangerine but logged in and sure enough the offer was sitting in my account!
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2009
1593 posts
339 upvotes
Surrey, BC
Surprise surprise, moved all my money out on Oct 1..logged in today and saw this offer. I called them 3x before my offer in August expired to see if they could give me a new one and they had nothing lol
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
1705 posts
822 upvotes
Toronto
Kinda glad now that I didn't receive September 3.5% offer. But 3 months (minus a few days) is a short promo.
Amerifriend threads need to include instructions on how to acquire an amerifriend. :confused:
Aug 3, 2007
717 posts
512 upvotes
Thanks OP.

Moving from Simplii's 3.85% ending Oct-31 to Tangerine's 4.30% ending Dec-31, sweet!
Nov 30, 2015
684 posts
829 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
Nothing in my account offering this. I have an offer for a 180 day GIC at 4%
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2007
1326 posts
1346 upvotes
I just received an email from Tangerine with 4.3% offer on new money to all Cdn and US Saving accounts. My offer cycle seems to be different than others. My last offer ended Aug 31.

Activate this online-only offer to earn a special 4.30% interest rate* until December 31, 2022 on new deposits to your Tangerine Savings Account(s), including TFSA, RSP, and US$, up to $1,000,000 per Applicable Account Type.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2009
1498 posts
1142 upvotes
Mississauga
Zaptor99 wrote: I just received an email from Tangerine with 4.3% offer on new money to all Cdn and US Saving accounts. My offer cycle seems to be different than others. My last offer ended Aug 31.

Activate this online-only offer to earn a special 4.30% interest rate* until December 31, 2022 on new deposits to your Tangerine Savings Account(s), including TFSA, RSP, and US$, up to $1,000,000 per Applicable Account Type.
Mine is exactly like you.
Got the email today for the same offer, and last offer ended Aug 31.
PM $13/30 days, 250MB with unlimited incoming/30d
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2009
1593 posts
339 upvotes
Surrey, BC
gardener28 wrote: Mine is exactly like you.
Got the email today for the same offer, and last offer ended Aug 31.
Same. I called them a few times before August 31 to see if they could offer me anything and they said no. I moved my money out October 1 and got this in my insights today. Moved my money back this morning after activating it. Guess that might be the trick, move the money out and wait...
Aug 19, 2009
521 posts
341 upvotes
Full terms if anyone's interested. as always, 4.3% on NEW deposits only from OCT 4 to DEC 31.
I should have moved my money to another one with low interest and see if they would give another good offer but i was hoping Simplii would give a good offer but nope. Now I regret not doing it. fml

Full terms:
https://i.imgur.com/lcyj85D.png
I thought RFD was supposed to help me SAVE money .... -__-|
PhoneBox, Tangerine.
Carrytel internet is only good if you do NOT game. Do not get Carrytel if you do, you WILL regret it.
Aug 18, 2015
868 posts
708 upvotes
Halton, ON
I just opened an account today @ 4.25% should I call them and ask them to change it to 4.3% will it work? Never had a Tangerine account before. I don't have any email of this interest change.

Cheers!