Expired Hot Deals

Tangerine

YMMV - Earn 2.00% interest* on deposits to your Savings Account(s) until February 28, 2021.

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 5th, 2021 2:27 pm
Newbie
User avatar
Apr 28, 2004
7 posts
3 upvotes
I think Simplii has a similar promo until March 31. Just call them before moving your money to make sure.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8978 posts
1917 upvotes
fcf777 wrote: I think Simplii has a similar promo until March 31. Just call them before moving your money to make sure.
They do and the promo is still active. For those who already have a Simplii high interest savings account, login and check to see if you've received an even better offer of 2.30%. If you're opening a new account, the best that you can get at the moment is the 2% promo offer. You definitely should call in and confirm that you're receiving it, don't assume anything.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Jr. Member
Jul 5, 2015
130 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have decent amount of money in Tangerine but I never get these offers and don't get why. been their customer for several years. did get one 6 month offer several years ago.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2014
1183 posts
1549 upvotes
uwengdori wrote: I have decent amount of money in Tangerine but I never get these offers and don't get why. been their customer for several years. did get one 6 month offer several years ago.
They don't reward loyalty, move your money out to whomever is offering a promo. You're more likely to get a targeted offer that way.
Jr. Member
Jul 5, 2017
116 posts
69 upvotes
The thing I do like about the Tangerine promo is that you get the money right away per month IIRC and it's very clearly stated in the account. The Simplii promo you don't see until after March 31, so there is always a tiny bit of doubt. At the end of the day, it's 0.3% difference, which on every 10k is only $2.5 a month, even less if you don't have it in a TFSA as it'll be taxed (and you probably shouldn't if you're bouncing between promo accounts as I think many of these banks don't have free TFSA account transfers). Probably best to go with whichever bank's promo is decent and offering the greatest convenience.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2004
1226 posts
1659 upvotes
Vancouver
flyjazz wrote: They don't reward loyalty, move your money out to whomever is offering a promo. You're more likely to get a targeted offer that way.
That's exactly what I have been doing. I have been with them since it's ING Direct. I used to have Manulife and EQ high interest accounts. But I moved my money around till I settled with B2B. I keep my saving balance at B2B. Only move to Tangerine when there is a promo. Otherwise, I only keep the bare minimum in Tangerine.
Member
User avatar
Dec 17, 2019
237 posts
125 upvotes
mkl38s wrote: Go to Tangerine and create a link with your external bank (say Scotia). You need to provide Tangerine the Institution #, Transit # and account #. Tangerine will then put 2 micro deposits into you account, it usually takes one full day. Then when it's ready at Tangerine, you can then confirm the link by enter the exact cents of the 2 transactions. Once it's linked, you can then setup the transfer at Tangerine end to pull money over from your other bank. It usually takes one business day. The money pulled over at Tangerine will be on hold for 5 business days
Jimboski wrote: If both of the accounts are linked you just do a manual pull/transfer from the Tangerine site. I did that and it got processed overnight but all of the funds still need to clear, still allows you to be eligible for the interest during those processing days.
lilmikey wrote: Thanks guys for explaining, it takes lil time to setup but then your set to move money quicker for these saving account rate wars between banks.
Thanks for all the information. I've just linked my tangerine account to my RBC account to pull money. But I wondered about the limit I can move at a time and cost of it. RBC customer service told me I have $2000 daily transfer limit. And since I am using basic account in RBC after 12 debits per month I need to pay transaction fee.

In your case, is your daily limit too high to move big amount of money at a time? Or Is this type of transfer different and CSR didn't give correct information?
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2009
50215 posts
6379 upvotes
Toronto
Gommes wrote: Thanks for all the information. I've just linked my tangerine account to my RBC account to pull money. But I wondered about the limit I can move at a time and cost of it. RBC customer service told me I have $2000 daily transfer limit. And since I am using basic account in RBC after 12 debits per month I need to pay transaction fee.

In your case, is your daily limit too high to move big amount of money at a time? Or Is this type of transfer different and CSR didn't give correct information?
That daily limit is not towards pulls like these. Like i read people transferred $100k+ with no problems and i highly doubt their daily transaction limit is $100k+. I've pulled more out than my daily transfer limit through my linked accounts, no problems at all.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
2634 posts
418 upvotes
North Vancouver
Thanks! I checked Simpili new TFSA account online and saw the 2% promo, this is the best rate I can get now right?

how much is the TFSA limit for up to date?
Frankie3s wrote: They do and the promo is still active. For those who already have a Simplii high interest savings account, login and check to see if you've received an even better offer of 2.30%. If you're opening a new account, the best that you can get at the moment is the 2% promo offer. You definitely should call in and confirm that you're receiving it, don't assume anything.
Newbie
Oct 25, 2020
1 posts
Would it work if I moved say $5000 into the account From a different bank but then moved $5000 out or vice versa?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8978 posts
1917 upvotes
ecgz88 wrote: Thanks! I checked Simpili new TFSA account online and saw the 2% promo, this is the best rate I can get now right?

how much is the TFSA limit for up to date?
For a TFSA savings account, yes. As for what the total TFSA limit is, it's best to phone into Simplii to inquire and to confirm that you're signed up for the 2% promo offer on the TFSA account (if you have already signed up online).
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
2634 posts
418 upvotes
North Vancouver
scoper wrote: If you were 18 or over in 2009 and a Canadian resident for all years total contribution limit today would be $69,500.00

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax-fre ... gs_account
yes, I saw that $69500, but for whatever reason my CRA account said my eligible amount is $70248 (looks like I deposit some and withdraw all in 2017 changed it)
Newbie
Oct 26, 2020
24 posts
3 upvotes
Does this work if you already have a Tangerine account and transfer out your money and back in for the 2% interest?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25126 posts
21563 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ecgz88 wrote: yes, I saw that $69500, but for whatever reason my CRA account said my eligible amount is $70248 (looks like I deposit some and withdraw all in 2017 changed it)
Don't rely on CRA's accounting for TFSA eligible amounts. It's notoriously out of date by months and thus unreliable. One of today's mysteries-of-life is how this can be when almost all financial transactions are electronic and happen virtually instantly.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 23, 2006
4881 posts
1885 upvotes
Winnipeg
Anybody that didn’t receive this offer call in to Tangerine and get it added/applied ?
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
14826 posts
5706 upvotes
RFD
Just moved a chunk of money out of Tangerine after the last promo ended. Parked it in EQ for the time being. Do not see any new Tangerine promo on my account. Still searching for the next promo. Don't want to deal with Simplii, last time I signed up they said I'd get a welcome package in the mail but never got anything.
Member
Jul 3, 2002
293 posts
93 upvotes
canuckcolehead wrote: Anybody that didn’t receive this offer call in to Tangerine and get it added/applied ?
no, they just flatly say no offers available.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 7, 2004
7159 posts
3625 upvotes
West GTEH!
radeonboy wrote: Just moved a chunk of money out of Tangerine after the last promo ended. Parked it in EQ for the time being. Do not see any new Tangerine promo on my account. Still searching for the next promo. Don't want to deal with Simplii, last time I signed up they said I'd get a welcome package in the mail but never got anything.
Canadian Tire Bank is offering 1.8% for their HISA. A little bit better than EQ's 1.5%
😎

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)