Expired Hot Deals

Tangerine

YMMV - Earn 2.00% interest* on deposits to your Savings Account(s) until February 28, 2021.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 5th, 2021 2:27 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
3020 posts
1814 upvotes
GTA
@Kayvan83 im doing home Reno's right now so I'll be pulling money out of it as I go, so 2% on 6 figures while I pull it out here and there works for me. Don't want my money locked up for any period of time at this moment.
Apr 12, 2019
190 posts
166 upvotes
bylo wrote: Oh??? Which stock has guaranteed to return your full investment a year from now, never mind guarantee their dividend?

Ohh... and which HISA and which stock requires you to "lock for one year"?

Oh??? Has jojo shared his prescience with the economists at the Bank of Canada who predict a much lower rate? Has jojo shared his prescience with the bond market who also predict a much lower rate? What does this jojo know that has apparently eluded these dudes?

Ummm... perhaps some solid skepticism with what jojo is telling you.
Ok sister, hold that horse. The person above you explained to me with only 2 words (low risk) and i accepted it. i asked the question to understand the mentality of people in this board... You clearly exhibited that, I'm not gonna bark up the wrong tree. I have no intention to change the direction of this thread, so already migrated to the high risk section of this board
Jul 30, 2016
739 posts
307 upvotes
Roy2004 wrote: Called get only 1.7%, moved all out
Same here. They said 1.7% immediately I moved out my 200K. What the hell. I’m now even thinking to close the Account with them.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25126 posts
21563 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
iamagtaguy wrote: Same here. They said 1.7% immediately I moved out my 200K. What the hell. I’m now even thinking to close the Account with them.
Why? Keep the account active (e.g. 1¢ balance) so you can park money there when your promo at Simplii or Manulife or wherever ends as you wait for a new promo. You can never have enough "idle" HISAs if you want to keep winning the promo rate lottery.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
6490 posts
3898 upvotes
How do you fund or withdraw USD from Tangerine? Can I link my TDDI US margin account with Tangerine? I have some cash waiting for market to crash to buy more but apparently it kept getting new high everyday :(. The US money market in TDDI is now like 0.10%
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25126 posts
21563 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
mkl38s wrote: How do you fund or withdraw USD from Tangerine? Can I link my TDDI US margin account with Tangerine?
I don't think so. I have a TD/CT US$ Borderless account that's linked to TING. To transfer I do TING -> TD/CT -> TDDI and vice versa. The transfers between TD/CT and TDDI are instantaneous so there's no additional loss of interest due to time delays. The added inconvenience of this two-step is trivial because one can do intra-TD transfers from either EasyWeb or WebBroken.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
6490 posts
3898 upvotes
bylo wrote: I don't think so. I have a TD/CT US$ Borderless account that's linked to TING. To transfer I do TING -> TD/CT -> TDDI and vice versa. The transfers between TD/CT and TDDI are instantaneous so there's no additional loss of interest due to time delays. The added inconvenience of this two-step is trivial because one can do intra-TD transfers from either EasyWeb or WebBroken.
Thanks. My TDDI account was from long time ago (1999) and I remember they had something called Moneylink (I think) where they even gave me a USD cheque book and I did use the checks for a few times. They charged me $1 but I can write a cheque that withdraws money directly from my USD margin account. I am wondering it would work if I use the cheque information and link with Tangerine. Although last few times I called TDDI and mentioned Moneylink, none of the reps knew what that was :(
Jul 30, 2016
739 posts
307 upvotes
bylo wrote: Why? Keep the account active (e.g. 1¢ balance) so you can park money there when your promo at Simplii or Manulife or wherever ends as you wait for a new promo. You can never have enough "idle" HISAs if you want to keep winning the promo rate lottery.
Ya. I didn’t close it. I do have credit card with tangerine but lately very disappointed with tangerine stupid games with long term loyal customers.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
7251 posts
7041 upvotes
Calgary
Kayvan83 wrote: excuse my ignorance, but i really nee to know why would people settle for 2% and lock their money for 1 year to get only 2%!! i never understand the mentality! a blue chip stock during this volatile market gives much much more if you are willing to lock for one year! the rate of inflation in 2019 was 1.95% and i am pretty sure the covid is gonna make it 3% this year! even jojo rabbit knows that! that means you will be 1% negative by the end of this year! why so much interest? what am i missing here? anyone?
The stock markets may not perform well around the US election .
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2390 posts
1645 upvotes
Kayvan83 wrote: excuse my ignorance, but i really nee to know why would people settle for 2% and lock their money for 1 year to get only 2%!! i never understand the mentality! a blue chip stock during this volatile market gives much much more if you are willing to lock for one year! the rate of inflation in 2019 was 1.95% and i am pretty sure the covid is gonna make it 3% this year! even jojo rabbit knows that! that means you will be 1% negative by the end of this year! why so much interest? what am i missing here? anyone?
Wondering the same here and this goes alongside with "deals" for bank accounts that has maintaining balances of $3-5k (?) just to save on fees

Id look at some stock which have fallen since Covid and think long term. Forget this 2% for 1yr thing. At $10,000 the yield is only $200 Face With Tears Of Joy Christ Id probably make more if I opened an OnlyFans account and make it in a week.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25126 posts
21563 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
mkl38s wrote: Thanks. My TDDI account was from long time ago (1999) and I remember they had something called Moneylink (I think) where they even gave me a USD cheque book and I did use the checks for a few times. They charged me $1 but I can write a cheque that withdraws money directly from my USD margin account. I am wondering it would work if I use the cheque information and link with Tangerine. Although last few times I called TDDI and mentioned Moneylink, none of the reps knew what that was :(
I don't know the answers to that perhaps this adds some historical context. Before 9/11 TD/CT's US$ chequing account used checks issued by TD's affiliate in Delaware. These checks used US-format MICR data (the computer coded stuff on the bottom of the check.) That made the account and checks compatible with the US banking system. After 9/11 with enhanced security measures to thwart terrorism and money laundering, TD changed all that. They reissued new cheques that used Canadian-format MICR data and invalidated the old ones. These cheques won't clear automatically in the US the way the old checks did. Instead they had to be processed manually. US banks would either reject them altogether or charge the depositor some hefty fee.

Moneylink may have been a casualty of the same security measures.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jul 7, 2018
142 posts
115 upvotes
GTA
I also received this promo from Tangerine, but I see there is a condition states that only new deposit would quality. I forgot to move out my USD dollars after the last promo. Does anyone know if moving out money now and bringing it back after a month would qualify?

What's considered as new deposit, does the total amount in the bank have to be more than the initial amount before the promo starts?
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
3020 posts
1814 upvotes
GTA
Joymax wrote: I also received this promo from Tangerine, but I see there is a condition states that only new deposit would quality. I forgot to move out my USD dollars after the last promo. Does anyone know if moving out money now and bringing it back after a month would qualify?

What's considered as new deposit, does the total amount in the bank have to be more than the initial amount before the promo starts?
Move money, then activate offer then move back in.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2019
1427 posts
1703 upvotes
lilmikey wrote: Move money, then activate offer then move back in.
That won't work. It must be out before the offer is given to you, doesn't matter when you activate it. Usually it's dated the day before.
Dec 7, 2011
41 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver, British C…
lilmikey wrote: Move money, then activate offer then move back in.
I read that they screenshot your account just before the promotion and u just will not get the 2% on that amount u had in the account even if you move out and in, just on those you move in minus the balance u had before. Isnt that right?
Jul 29, 2016
212 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
filakotekova wrote: I read that they screenshot your account just before the promotion and u just will not get the 2% on that amount u had in the account even if you move out and in, just on those you move in minus the balance u had before. Isnt that right?
the terms says "“Promotional Interest” is the interest earned on Eligible Deposits made to Applicable Accounts each day during the Offer Period. “Eligible Deposits” for any day during the Offer Period is the excess of (i) the sum of end-of-day balances in all Applicable Accounts per Applicable Account Type (excluding Promotional Interest) over (ii) the sum of end-of-day balances in all Applicable Accounts per Applicable Account Type as at October 6, 2020, to a maximum of $1,000,000†, subject to the exclusions in Section 10 below."

I would interpret that if you had $5k USD hypothetical on October 6, 2020 and even if you move that $5k out to external and then back to Tangerine, that first $5k would not earn promo interest.
Toronto Raptors 2018-2019 NBA Champions
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9042 posts
4881 upvotes
Joymax wrote: I also received this promo from Tangerine, but I see there is a condition states that only new deposit would quality. I forgot to move out my USD dollars after the last promo. Does anyone know if moving out money now and bringing it back after a month would qualify?

I'm in the same situation. My US dollars are just sitting at Tangerine earning 0.15% and will continue to do so because I didn't move them out before the promo came out.
Mar 8, 2012
436 posts
75 upvotes
Montreal
Has anyone had success by calling/chatting with them? If so, by which method and what did you say?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25126 posts
21563 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
akinos1 wrote: Has anyone had success by calling/chatting with them? If so, by which method and what did you say?
Their phone lines are open 24x7 but they're backed up during "normal" hours. I've had success in reaching them quickly by calling outside of "normal" hours like before 7am and especially on weekends.

I realize it shouldn't be necessary to inconvenience yourself to reach someone with whom you do business. But it is what it is and it's hardly unique to TING. Other banks aren't much better and some are much worse.
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)