Travel

TAP is a crap (it even rhymes) airline

Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20685 posts
14517 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Me262A1 wrote: https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/08/18/fli ... JMs9-yXNuc

Flightright Seizes TAP Air Portugal Accounts In Germany As Carrier Fails To Pay 1 Mio Euro In Judgments
I'm not questioning the veracity of the article, but TAP's refusal to pay seems odd since it's ~75% owned by the Portuguese government. IOW they have deep pockets and are susceptible to intra-government pressure (e.g. tourism) to provide refunds.

It's also interesting to note from Reader Question: TAP Advice (How To Get A Refund?)
Here are [US] DOTs complaint statistics for May:... There are 900+ complaints in one month regarding TAP’s refunds. The only airline with a higher number was Air Canada. They are over-represented.
AC has almost twice the complaints but I'd imagine there were far more AC flights between CA and US than there were TAP flights between US and PT. So TAP seems to be even worse than AC in this respect. Incredible.

Nevertheless none of this helps me get in touch with TAP :(
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1641 posts
208 upvotes
East York, ON
I had a ticket with them and they changed a connecting flight and refused me the refund like a month before the Covid issues started
They played pingpong and Traveloshitywith me being the ball for all that time...each side pretending it is missing "one more thing"

I hope they both go bankrupt !
[external link removed, do not repost]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1076 posts
542 upvotes
Toronto
CuriousC wrote: I had a ticket with them and they changed a connecting flight and refused me the refund like a month before the Covid issues started
They played pingpong and Traveloshitywith me being the ball for all that time...each side pretending it is missing "one more thing"

That's probably the root cause of the problem. When booking through a third party, you get stuck in the middle. I used to book through Expedia and other re-sellers, but won't be doing that from now on.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13369 posts
8340 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
How much you lost doc?
CuriousC wrote: I had a ticket with them and they changed a connecting flight and refused me the refund like a month before the Covid issues started

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20685 posts
14517 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
lpin14 wrote: That's probably the root cause of the problem. When booking through a third party, you get stuck in the middle.
Yup. It's worth booking travel direct: a lesson from the Covid crisis
The Covid crisis has exposed the opaque relationship between travel agents and the airlines/tour operators providing the trips, particularly the online-only agents. If the travel industry ever gets back to normal, one of the lessons we should learn from recent months is that booking direct has huge advantages when things go wrong.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1641 posts
208 upvotes
East York, ON
he he neah, I got all my money back from TD Visa
I explained them that my mortgage is up for renewal and if I take that somewhere else they will lose more money then I lose if I don't get a refund
problem was solved in standard time ...30 days for TAP to dispute the chargeback which never happened

So no doc, I did not lose anything
Now my turn: are you involved in the tourism industry or do you have any connection with the airlines ? I hope (for your own good, 'doc',) that you are not because your loss is on long term
I also hope you are not a millennial because you will pay the public debt required to rescue these private entities ...so good luck to you 'doc'

PS: indeed lesson learned, never use the middle man again ...these guys will certainly go bankrupt well before the airlines do because they were sized based on plane tickets, accomodation reservations and car booking so triple the loss in this crisis
I do not wish bad things to anybody but the way these guys treated their clients deserves a huge middle finger shown to them going forward
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35456 posts
9473 upvotes
Ottawa
You are right but, the lessons have always been there, COVID just made them applicable to many more people.
There have always been complaints about third party travel re-sellers. COVID just opened the issues to so many. I learned my lessons a long time ago and only use third party for tours and entrance and event tickets nowadays, never for hotels and flights and cruises.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Dec 28, 2011
844 posts
349 upvotes
Midland
Just got back home from TAP

Got my own row again. Man best $180 flight I ever spent.

Side note for anyone travelling within Europe. It’s life as usual minus a mask. However, there is no social distance but I was fine with that. Day 1 of quarantine.

Also realized I would have quarantined 28 days this year Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat. Came back from the Maldives on March 16
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5670 posts
5065 upvotes
CuriousC wrote: he he neah, I got all my money back from TD Visa
I explained them that my mortgage is up for renewal and if I take that somewhere else they will lose more money then I lose if I don't get a refund
problem was solved in standard time ...30 days for TAP to dispute the chargeback which never happened

So no doc, I did not lose anything
Now my turn: are you involved in the tourism industry or do you have any connection with the airlines ? I hope (for your own good, 'doc',) that you are not because your loss is on long term
I also hope you are not a millennial because you will pay the public debt required to rescue these private entities ...so good luck to you 'doc'

PS: indeed lesson learned, never use the middle man again ...these guys will certainly go bankrupt well before the airlines do because they were sized based on plane tickets, accomodation reservations and car booking so triple the loss in this crisis
I do not wish bad things to anybody but the way these guys treated their clients deserves a huge middle finger shown to them going forward
Lmao, threating to move your mortgage like an angsty teen? The credit card department has absolutely nothing to do with mortgages and couldn't care less if you switch. Banks barely make any money from mortgages anyway.

Credit cards on the other hand, is their top money maker asides from wealth management. So they will do anything to keep CC holders happy and using their card.

This whole issue could have easily been solved with a credit card dispute from the beginning. No need to threaten or anything... Just regular old standard procedure for disputing a credit card charge.
Jul 30, 2015
647 posts
521 upvotes
Energie11 wrote: Just got back home from TAP

Got my own row again. Man best $180 flight I ever spent.

Side note for anyone travelling within Europe. It’s life as usual minus a mask. However, there is no social distance but I was fine with that. Day 1 of quarantine.

Also realized I would have quarantined 28 days this year Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat. Came back from the Maldives on March 16
180$ for a trip to Portugal with own row... very nice for you but so wrong. Shows how bad the industry suffers.

Good thing they are owned by their government ...
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1641 posts
208 upvotes
East York, ON
KanataKG wrote: Lmao, threating to move your mortgage like an angsty teen? The credit card department has absolutely nothing to do with mortgages and couldn't care less if you switch. Banks barely make any money from mortgages anyway.

Credit cards on the other hand, is their top money maker asides from wealth management. So they will do anything to keep CC holders happy and using their card.

This whole issue could have easily been solved with a credit card dispute from the beginning. No need to threaten or anything... Just regular old standard procedure for disputing a credit card charge.
I don't care what they did I am telling you what I did
And I did tell them that I was also going to cancel my Visa Gold Card ...it must be that
And BTW the bank employee that helps you with the mortgage gets a commission on the sale, I could read some nervousness on her face when I explained my next steps

Whatever worked worked and it did while others were being refused similar disputes
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35456 posts
9473 upvotes
Ottawa
CuriousC wrote: I don't care what they did I am telling you what I did
And I did tell them that I was also going to cancel my Visa Gold Card ...it must be that
And BTW the bank employee that helps you with the mortgage gets a commission on the sale, I could read some nervousness on her face when I explained my next steps

Whatever worked worked and it did while others were being refused similar disputes
Whoa....heeeeees baaack LOL
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.