Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Target

Amazon Echo Dot 2 Voice Activated Assistant $69 CDN, FS To Can Over $100, US Deal

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2017 3:50 pm
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10836 posts
5634 upvotes
Toronto

[Target] Amazon Echo Dot 2 Voice Activated Assistant $69 CDN, FS To Can Over $100, US Deal

Target International website has a deal on the Amazon Echo Dot 2 nd generation voice activated digital controller/assistant for $55.46 can, and free shipping over $100 with code CANADASHIP. They are setup for Canadian orders, like B&H, and you can order with tax and duty prepaid ($16 each) or roll the dice and ship by regular post and see if it skates through for $55.46 cdn each. My total to ON was $143.20 cdn all in for two with duty prepaid.
B&H Photo has these currently for $49 US.

6/20
Price is back up to $49.99 US ($69.49 Cdn)
Promo code CANADASHIP still gives up to $20 off shipping over $100 Cdn.
Postal delivery avoids taxes/duty upfront.
Buying three gives $27.80 off, but seems to negate postal delivery on my end.
Two units meet free ship and postal delivery
Last edited by idiotcanuck on Jun 18th, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
I would give my life to protect your right to say something really funking stupid.

Respect your OP's. They don't get paid to do this, and don't have to come here to post their deals for you. They can all just hoard their deals in silence, if you prefer?
57 replies
Oct 18, 2016
174 posts
265 upvotes
What are some of the features of this?
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10836 posts
5634 upvotes
Toronto
Zetayoshi wrote: What are some of the features of this?
The Intro video is a good start to features, but voice searching, scheduling, online ordering, smart house control, music playback.
I would give my life to protect your right to say something really funking stupid.

Respect your OP's. They don't get paid to do this, and don't have to come here to post their deals for you. They can all just hoard their deals in silence, if you prefer?
Jul 18, 2011
84 posts
98 upvotes
GTAA
Thanks OP, easily made my father's day.
Jul 13, 2007
13 posts
1 upvote
Calgary
I can't add this item (or the white version) to my cart. The button says "only in stores." Am I internetting wrong?
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10836 posts
5634 upvotes
Toronto
puddlesray wrote: I can't add this item (or the white version) to my cart. The button says "only in stores." Am I internetting wrong?
Still shows shipped to Canada fine when I add it again.

Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
4249 posts
1672 upvotes
Belle River
How difficult is it to get this or Google Home to launch your own custom commands? I'm assuming everything is sent to their servers so if you wanted to say launch a script on a local PC you'd need something inside your home network listening for that stuff coming back via some supported protocols? For custom stuff like that which is better, Google Home or Echo?

Also I have seen people on these threads discussing the do-it-yourself Google Assistant/Home using a Raspberry Pi, anyone have experience with that?
Dec 19, 2011
256 posts
102 upvotes
Hamilton
hystavito wrote: How difficult is it to get this or Google Home to launch your own custom commands? I'm assuming everything is sent to their servers so if you wanted to say launch a script on a local PC you'd need something inside your home network listening for that stuff coming back via some supported protocols? For custom stuff like that which is better, Google Home or Echo?

Also I have seen people on these threads discussing the do-it-yourself Google Assistant/Home using a Raspberry Pi, anyone have experience with that?
You can set up Home Assistant on your Raspberry Pi and run it as a home automation hub similar to Wink/Smartthings. If you have basic understanding of coding, it uses Python, it is fairly easy to set up. You can then add the Echo to Home Assistant and you can control any device that is compatible with Home Assistant simply by saying "Turn on/off XXXX", or you can add your own commands but that one is a little more involved. I use Home Assistant and find it really cool and not too bad to install and setup. https://home-assistant.io/components/alexa/

There's also OpenHab that recently released a big update but I don't have any experience with that. You can also use IFTTT to trigger certain commands of your own, but I'm not a huge fan of IFTTT because it's not local and I've had delays with commands being completed.
Jul 19, 2005
979 posts
593 upvotes
Mississauga
puddlesray wrote: I can't add this item (or the white version) to my cart. The button says "only in stores." Am I internetting wrong?
Exit your browser and try again. It happened to me, when I clicked the link again I could add to cart.
Feb 15, 2011
310 posts
96 upvotes
I'm looking to sell my white Echo Dot gen 2...if you can get to Orangeville it's yours for $50
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
6323 posts
3867 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
tazz131 wrote: I'm looking to sell my white Echo Dot gen 2...if you can get to Orangeville it's yours for $50
I wish you'd posted this sooner as I passed through on my way home today and would have bought it for sure!
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
3233 posts
1383 upvotes
Quebec
How well does this work in French. And is this linked to a smartphone or indépendant
Aug 7, 2005
215 posts
66 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks.
Hopefully it's easy for my dad to ask for the Blue Jays score and gametime.
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10836 posts
5634 upvotes
Toronto
ratatapa wrote: How well does this work in French. And is this linked to a smartphone or indépendant
I believe it is independent, but can be linked to a smart phone or computer to set it up. I don't believe there is official French language support yet, but there do seem to be some work arounds, to my limited understanding. I don't have one yet though.

Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2007
2065 posts
566 upvotes
Springfield
Is this a good price? $150 for 2 seems expensive; I have some smart bulbs and would like to link them to Alexa. Amazon (US) is currently selling them for $US40 each on sale..no shipping to Canada though.
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10836 posts
5634 upvotes
Toronto
hopsoid wrote: Is this a good price? $150 for 2 seems expensive; I have some smart bulbs and would like to link them to Alexa. Amazon (US) is currently selling them for $US40 each on sale..no shipping to Canada though.
If you can get them delivered to Canada for $55.46 CDN each ($40 US) without paying duty or taxes($16 unit), that is about the best that you can hope for, but you might have to pay that and more if your order gets stopped at customs and a customs clearance fee is added too.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
salty72 wrote: Thanks.
Hopefully it's easy for my dad to ask for the Blue Jays score and gametime.
Yeah it’s dead easy.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Jul 17, 2007
720 posts
1541 upvotes
Milton,ON
i have the alexa dot
very useless device

it doesn't know anything - i have it connected to my sensi thermostat but i barely use it to adjust the temperature

only thing i use it for is to play spotify

i think the google home is way better
Your signature will appear like this in posts
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Wassifdurrani wrote: i have the alexa dot
very useless device

it doesn't know anything - i have it connected to my sensi thermostat but i barely use it to adjust the temperature

only thing i use it for is to play spotify

i think the google home is way better
I use my dots much more than my google home
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
4249 posts
1672 upvotes
Belle River
Marauder2 wrote: You can set up Home Assistant on your Raspberry Pi and run it as a home automation hub similar to Wink/Smartthings. If you have basic understanding of coding, it uses Python, it is fairly easy to set up. You can then add the Echo to Home Assistant and you can control any device that is compatible with Home Assistant simply by saying "Turn on/off XXXX", or you can add your own commands but that one is a little more involved. I use Home Assistant and find it really cool and not too bad to install and setup. https://home-assistant.io/components/alexa/

There's also OpenHab that recently released a big update but I don't have any experience with that. You can also use IFTTT to trigger certain commands of your own, but I'm not a huge fan of IFTTT because it's not local and I've had delays with commands being completed.
Thanks for the info, I might eventually get into home automation but for now I'm more interested in just launching software, my own scripts to do custom things. I guess I should just take a Pi (or Pi Zero?) and try the diy Google Assistant/Home to see how it works. Oh yeah, I guess I'll need to buy some kind of microphone/audio-in solution for the Pi, heh, completely forgot about that.