Shopping Discussion

Target: Any RFD liquidation gurus willing to make predictions?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2015 3:05 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3625 posts
2225 upvotes
Toronto

Target: Any RFD liquidation gurus willing to make predictions?

Such as, say working backwards. And we'll see who gets it right.

This is just an example:

May 16th 2015 Doors locked, all gone.
May 15th 90% off.
May 8th 75% off.
May 1st 50% off
April 1st. 25% off
Mar. 1st. 20% off
Feb. 1st 20% off housewares, 10% off everything else.
41 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
4001 posts
712 upvotes
May 16th the last day any remaining stores will be closed so need to go from Feb to May
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7442 posts
2500 upvotes
I predict the stores nearest the distributions centres will get restocked with new merchandise that was in the warehouses or in the pipeline. I don't think they'll be paying for shipping to outlying stores.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10592 posts
2272 upvotes
Nowhere
I predict that we will see more of these useless threads from now until May 16. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it given the track record.
Aug 4, 2014
491 posts
53 upvotes
North of GTA
I predict a liquidator will buy up a lot of the stuff in distribution centres.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2013
2073 posts
2129 upvotes
Living the dream
SteveRoss wrote: I predict a liquidator will buy up a lot of the stuff in distribution centres.
This is a plausible scenario. I already know of at least one company that already buy Target clearance items by the skid before they even get to the point of liquidation. It's a lot easier for them to sell stuff by the skid than it is to sell individual items. We may see a few discounts but I think the majority of the higher priced items will either be sent back to teh manufacturer's or it'll be liquidated in larger quantity.
The name is pronounced El‧u‧àr‧do. I am the ultimate deal hunter, y'all just gatherers. I was the first openly black man to get a Costco membership.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8981 posts
2700 upvotes
They can get more in store then they could get in from a liquidator. Most of it will still be sold at a gross profit when the masses go nuts at 20% off. Its different now then when it was target who had to keep moving stuff for more to arrive. The only goal now is to maximize return for the creditors, with no advantage to doing it any quicker then has already been laid out
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
1921 posts
1140 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Target doesn't decide how the stock is sold. There is a court appointed consultant that calls all the shots now that Target has declared bankruptcy.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7685 posts
972 upvotes
Waterloo
sears outlet in cambridge bought most of there clothing 20,000 pieces at 1.50 a piece doesnt matter if its a 60.00 shirt they still got the piece for 1.50 how i no because my friend is a manager there at the outlet center
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
1921 posts
1140 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sassysue wrote: sears outlet in cambridge bought most of there clothing 20,000 pieces at 1.50 a piece doesnt matter if its a 60.00 shirt they still got the piece for 1.50 how i no because my friend is a manager there at the outlet center
That's common. Either the price is per piece (whatever it is) or by weight by the tonne.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3625 posts
2225 upvotes
Toronto
Niklasky wrote: Target doesn't decide how the stock is sold. There is a court appointed consultant that calls all the shots now that Target has declared bankruptcy.
But the point to this, is that there usually is a method to how stores are liquidated. I'm sure no RFDer wants to buy things at 75% off, the day before it's 90%. And if we can figure it out, we will all benefit.

And why this post below is really the only useless one.
Cheap Cat wrote: I predict that we will see more of these useless threads from now until May 16. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it given the track record.
And why they have over 9,000 posts (six times as many as me), yet joined RFD days after I did. Congrats.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
1921 posts
1140 upvotes
Toronto, ON
beachlover wrote: But the point to this, is that there usually is a method to how stores are liquidated. I'm sure no RFDer wants to buy things at 75% off, the day before it's 90%. And if we can figure it out, we will all benefit.
I don't think there is a textbook method and I don't think we'll receive any warning of the clearances.
Banned
Jun 22, 2012
4737 posts
708 upvotes
Shhanada
beachlover wrote: Such as, say working backwards. And we'll see who gets it right.

This is just an example:

July 1st 2015 Doors locked, all gone.
June 15th 90% off.
June 1st 75% off.
May 1st 50% off
April 1st. 25% off
Mar. 1st. 20% off
Feb. 1st 20% off housewares, 10% off everything else.
It's already been published that they will be fully gone on or before May 16th.

I think someone posted a much more accelerated markdown schedule on another site. You might have read it there.
Jan 22, 2005
176 posts
301 upvotes
Ancaster store is completely bare. Won't be open for more than a few weeks tops.
Aug 31, 2012
659 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
Waterdown Target is clearing out quickly too. Lots of shoppers there.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3625 posts
2225 upvotes
Toronto
Niklasky wrote: I don't think there is a textbook method and I don't think we'll receive any warning of the clearances.
But there are probably general observations. Maybe the % markdowns tend to happen at the start of the week? Maybe the end of the week? Maybe the weekend? I'm sure liquidators have a method to the timing of increasing the discount to maximize returns. And if we know that, we can use it to RFD advantage.
SurplusPlus wrote: It's already been published that they will be fully gone on or before May 16th.

I think someone posted a much more accelerated markdown schedule on another site. You might have read it there.
I understand. My first post was only an EXAMPLE, as to what form I was trying to shape the discussion. However I will edit with this information because some are taking it as my prediction, which it isn't, as Ihave no idea of the liqiudators methods.

And are you able to post that link, or the info contained within? I'd like to see it.

Was shocked that the stockyards Target was already almost out of milk, and that the Second Cup had already closed up.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2014
2207 posts
1504 upvotes
Asked a manger (i think) at target and asked him if anything started to liquidate and he said no
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
22386 posts
7632 upvotes
Lots of stuff gone back for refund: iPhones and Android phones, Lego toys, plus some foodstuffs though I did notice a mountain of Black Diamond cheese there this morning. Will probably start off at 10% off per week until its all gone. Best stuff usually goes at 30 - 50% off. Dregs will be all that's left after that. Probably within the first month or so. Looking at spending some money but not going to lose any sleep over letting any fab deals get away. Got too much stuff now in this house...
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
2619 posts
273 upvotes
Prices will be higher than retail. Liquidation is a great marketing tool that exploits the gullible. Liquidation world survived for years selling old crap at high prices to poor people
Aug 11, 2004
382 posts
61 upvotes
Overheard a Target manager talking to an employee. They were putting movies on the shelf where the mobile phones use to be. He said " these will go like hotcakes"